Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a few questions about doing an engine swap on a '84 Crossfire. The engine in the vette is stock (has headers) and is in need of a rebuild. My dad had the idea of installing a SBC he has just built.

The engine is a 363 SBC, not broken in yet, with IK200 Brodix aluminum heads, the block is a two piece rear main seal. Would it be a simple swap with respect to the crossfire intake onto the block and heads? If it helps, the block casting number is 3970010.

Basically, can I convert the 363 into fuel injection using the intake from the stock vette engine?

Will I run into emissions issues with respect to state regulations?

Will my computor see the engine as being the same?

Another question: my windsheild washer fluid does not spray, can anyone tell me where the pump is, or if it uses another method, like vacuum?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would also like to know the limits of the crossfire system.

my 84 has 140k on the clock and is needing rebuilt in the near future. the cylinders are going to need to be bored out to fix up some piston wear on them.- im shure the crossfire system can handle a bore out to 355 but what else can it handle. if im taking the time to go to the machine shop for a mild bore, then why not take advantage and do something better?

maby if we upgrade the fuel pump to a higher psi at the injectors and reprogram a chip can the crossfire set up handle a mild ish 383 stroker package? or is it going to be easier to just find a donor tuned port motor to rob for its parts and scrapp the crossfire all toghether?

im verry intrested to know what the crossfire is capable of handling, in my quest for power and speed, each modificaton is better but its never enough

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sagea84 said:
Basically, can I convert the 363 into fuel injection using the intake from the stock vette engine?

Will I run into emissions issues with respect to state regulations?

Will my computor see the engine as being the same?
Yes you can convert by just sliding the 363 underneath the Crossfire set up.

How much trouble you might run into with the emissions and the computer depends on your state laws, how they enforce them, and also the cam in that 363.

How did you arrive at 363 CID? The 3970010 block won't generally bore that far. You don't mean 383, do you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
84brian said:
im shure the crossfire system can handle a bore out to 355 but what else can it handle. if im taking the time to go to the machine shop for a mild bore, then why not take advantage and do something better?
I have seen the Crossfire set up in a 400.

84brian said:
maby if we upgrade the fuel pump to a higher psi at the injectors and reprogram a chip can the crossfire set up handle a mild ish 383 stroker package?
The fuel pump doesn't set the fuel pressure. It is the fuel pressure regulator that regulates the fuel pressure. Funny how that works. Eh?

84brian said:
...or is it going to be easier to just find a donor tuned port motor to rob for its parts and scrapp the crossfire all toghether?
Bad idea. The L98 TPI breathes almost as poorly as the stock Crossfire, maybe worse. There ARE in fact, better EFIs than either of those.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
363 Sbc

C4some,
My dad said that the crank has an offset grind, increasing its stroke to 3.562, as opposed to the stock 3.48, or the 383's 3.75. The bore is .030 over using flat-tops. Compression is about 10.65:1. He is worried about gas prices!:WTF

take care,
Sagea84

·
Registered
74 Posts
C4some,
My dad said that the crank has an offset grind, increasing its stroke to 3.562, as opposed to the stock 3.48, or the 383's 3.75. The bore is .030 over using flat-tops. Compression is about 10.65:1. He is worried about gas prices!:WTF

take care,
Sagea84
I get 360.59 cid with this combination. Nonetheless, he must have had a specific goal in mind when building this unusual combination. Can you and he enlighten us as to what it was? I'm especially curious because I use an unusual stroke length too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sagea84 said:
C4some,

take care,
Sagea84
Who isn't worried about gas prices? An offset ground crank using early rods for the 2.00" crank pin. Cool! Not your everyday bore/stroke combination. I suspected a typo, because the 383 is such a popular combination these days.

Like I said, "just slide the 363 underneath the Crossfire set up". The cubic inches won't cause any problems with fit, emissions, or computer that a similar 350 wouldn't. I have seen the Crossfire on top of, and successfully running on, 383s and 400s. Thirteen cubic inches won't even phase it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
hey c4some, what do you think of this for a efi system?
http://www.massflowefi.com/

seems like it should be pretty painless to use, and looks quite adaptable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
84brian said:
hey c4some, what do you think of this for a efi system?
http://www.massflowefi.com/

seems like it should be pretty painless to use, and looks quite adaptable.
That type of EFI, a 4 bbl TB on a single plane manifold with port injectors, is a great idea. Holley, Edelbrock, and others offer such systems. I don't know anything about the company in the link. That almost looks too good to be true. Do your homework before you invest.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/

This place can help with all your crossfire questions. Most of the members there are members here as well, but they tend to stay on their own forum for engine-specific discussion. Any problem I've ever had, they've been able to help me out with. I can bring a few things to your attention though:
-You will need to upgrade to a more modern ECM (stock is non-tuneable)
-You will need to tune it yourself or hire it done
-You will need a bigger fuel pump and modify the stock regulator
-You will need to make sure the cam you have is EFI compatible

That's the basics anyways. Good luck! The world could use more fast crossfires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts