Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to remove the engine in the 71 to clean up the engine bay and to have the engine rebuilt. Is it just as easy to pull the engine and transmission togeather (automatic) or is it easier to leave the transmission in the car. Any help as to to steps in the process would be appreciated.
I do have a lift if that makes a differance in the removal process.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its a good idea to have a buddy helping guide it out.
Watch the end of the transmission, don't let it hit the floor when raising.
You will need the larger 2 ton lift, I purchased a 1 ton lift first and even with the front wheel removed it was too short to reach the center of the engine. :(

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You have a lift? Make your life as easy and painless as possible. Drop the trans from the bottom and then pull the engine. Why fight with getting enough angle to get the whole thing together out?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thats what I was thinking.
Any advice on the the steps or things to watch for?:D
Get a load leveler, available for rent at places like advance auto. Keep the slip yoke in the trans so that the fluid doesn't drain out the tailshaft.

You will have the engine & tranny quite steeply angled to get it out of the car.

If you have a car hoist you can do the tranny from below but I would only recommend that if you have a tranny jack that reaches that high - An automatic tranny weighs a shitload and they tend to be greasy slippery buggers. I wouldn't want to have to manhandle one out from under a car without the proper tools.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
You have a lift? Make your life as easy and painless as possible. Drop the trans from the bottom and then pull the engine. Why fight with getting enough angle to get the whole thing together out?
........:agree: 100%. Save your fenders...

I swap 700r4's by myself. I would never pull a engine and tranny together in a short garage.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I usually pull them as a unit but I also pull my front end apart. A little easier for me as I have a C-4. With your lift hit Harbor Frieght and get a trans jack. Pull the trans first then pull the motor. Piece of cake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts