Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on that "other" site, too, but I know you guys know your stuff, so I'll ask here, too.

Alright, here's the scoop. My poor 'Vette is having engine issues, and clutch issues, and other things....

I have a 92. I'm wondering, can an LT1 out of a 96 Trans Am be swapped in to my 92? I realize it's got the ODB-II in 96, but will the 92 computer be able to deal with it? Basically, I won't be using the extra sensors installed on the 96 LT1, right? They used the T56 trans, not the ZF6 I think. Any advantage to just using the T56?

Or is it just a bad idea, altogether? I can get the LT1 cheap, and if it'll keep my car running through the 'Vette LT1 rebuilt (383 maybe?) then it'd be worth it!

Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would keep the ZF6 trans, the T56 in my opinion is just not as good. Correct me if i'm wrong but thats what they use in the c5. My father has a c5 z06 and that trans is just so much more unwilling to shift than my c4. plus man, gotta love the sound of the zf6 whine.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would keep the ZF6 trans, the T56 in my opinion is just not as good. Correct me if i'm wrong but thats what they use in the c5. My father has a c5 z06 and that trans is just so much more unwilling to shift than my c4. plus man, gotta love the sound of the zf6 whine.:thumbsup:
Plus, it's already in the car! I do like the ZF. Just wondering.

If they changed the bolt pattern over (or maybe they didn't??) it's not a problem, right? Just one bolt off, is what I'm hearing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The T56 has no provisions for attaching to the C4's C beam so it's a moot point. You won't use the '96 crank sensor of course and you'll have to modify the opti wiring, but that's no big deal. I think that would just about cover it. But should you find any other sensors on the '96 engine that are not compatible, simply use the one(s) in question from your current engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts