Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i filled up with gas and on the way home the engine died on the exit ramp. any ideas of what it could be? my guess is there was water in the station's tanks... but some of my friends suggested that it could be a fuel pump, ignition switch, carburator or distributer. so here is what i know, for a while now sometimes when i turn, the engine kinda sputters/tries to die. this time, it died completely, and took about 20 minutes to restart it. when i finally did restart it, i had to keep on the gas and the brake just to keep it going, there was also some black smoke. i need some help on this one. thanks

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
ok, so i filled up with gas and on the way home the engine died on the exit ramp. any ideas of what it could be? my guess is there was water in the station's tanks... but some of my friends suggested that it could be a fuel pump, ignition switch, carburator or distributer. so here is what i know, for a while now sometimes when i turn, the engine kinda sputters/tries to die. this time, it died completely, and took about 20 minutes to restart it. when i finally did restart it, i had to keep on the gas and the brake just to keep it going, there was also some black smoke. i need some help on this one. thanks
It could be any of those. We will need more info. The first test is to see if you have spark. Pull the coil wire (center one) from the distributor and hold it close to a ground point and see if you have a blue spark when some one cranks the engine.

Let us know, and we can go from there! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Did you eliminate water as the cause? I think that's the easiest to do. If ever there was a gas tank set up to be easy to see water in it, it is this one. How long after the fill up did the problem start?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Pop the gas cap, use a good flashlight and look in the tank- if there's water in there, you'll see it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it happened about 15 to 20 minutes after i filled up. i'll be able to check the tank sometime tomorrow and the spark sometime in the next couple of days. thanks for the help and i'll keep updating.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Might be the fuel filter.
that's true, I had a LOT of trouble with it cutting out under any kind of moderate load for a while. Turns out the fuel filter was plugged like no other. Biggest change a $5 mod will ever make! :laughing:

However, the fact that you have more trouble when going around a curve makes me think it's more than the filter. Definitely worth the 10 seconds to check though!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Thinking some more (always dangerous!) It is possible the rubber line between the fuel pump and frame is bad too. And don't forget the one between the tank and the frame..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not really, somehow my mom ripped out the hood release cable so i cant check other things to see if there was another problem. i had to order another one that is supposed to be in sometime soon, and i havnt been able to get in touch with the "consumer somethin somethin" guy but i am going to c him today. dont really know what im gonna end up doing. its just taking a long time to straighten things up.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
yeah, you gotta be patient with these cars. I just got mine last spring and spent 4 months last summer/fall rebuilding the suspension and steering. Lost a lot of good driving time, but working on it is damn near as fun. I blew my radiator three weeks ago and haven't even found the time to pull it out...

hang in there, it'll all come together.

how's the hood release scenario? Is the hood latched right now? If you're bewildered as to how to get it open here's a thread on how to do that:
http://www.madvet.com/shop?store=1&category=236&frame=3852

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, that just made things a LOT easier. i was tryin to reach through the windshield end of the L88 hood to get to it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
when i finally did restart it, i had to keep on the gas and the brake just to keep it going, there was also some black smoke. i need some help on this one. thanks
This sounds like a carb problem to me. If you are having to power brake it just to keep it from dying, it sounds like it is flooding out. My guess is the float is set too high or the needle-and-seat is sticking open and not stopping fuel from flowing into the carb.

-Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks, i was talking to the president of a local corvette club and he said that the carb might be my problem also. so i found an edelbrock 4 barrel 650 cfm carb, (i dont know much about carburated engines) would this be a good replacement? and would it work well on a 383?

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
what do you have on there right now? Why not just fix it rather than hurrying to replace?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I would think fuel filter first. That is the first thing the mechanic changed the last time I brought it somewhere. You can get them to put a kit in it if the Carberator is making the bolts stick or buy a Kit from Summit or you vendor of choice and do it yourself. Mine has been been smokin lately and I know it is a carb kit I need to stop it. Might have a rubber fuel line also that kinks when you are not in a straight line. When the body twist it twist the line and cuts off fuel supply to the carberator. Could be many things. Just go out there and pop the hood and ask her...What the hell is wrong with you? Tell me dammit! :smack

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its a stock carb on a 350, but my friend is the one that has the edelbrock carb and he is cuttin me a deal, its brand new and is sellin it to me for $100. i already know that the stock one has a few problems but wasnt anything major, i was plannin on replacing everything anyways. :laughing: haha and i wish it was that easy, but it would be my luck that i would have a spanish speaking car

·
Registered
23 Posts
found an edelbrock 4 barrel 650 cfm carb, (i dont know much about carburated engines) would this be a good replacement? and would it work well on a 383?
I would think the 650 would be a bit on the small side for a 383, depending on heads, cam, exhaust, trans, gear ratio, etc... I know some have had good success with the Edelbrock carb, but I have no idea what it takes to convert to it. I agree with an earlier suggestion to clean it and put a good kit in it, unless there is something major wrong with the original that can't be rebuilt. What is the original carb?
-Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i honestly have no idea, what size would be good for a 383? i assume it is whatever comes on a stock 72 stingray:huh: .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts