1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
552 Posts
IMO any more than a camshaft/intake is too much strain for the bottom end of an old motor. If you're talking about putting this kit on a rebuilt shortblock with flat top pistons that's another story.

good luck

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Those engines from Pace look pretty good, however if you want to retain the stock block and numbers, you might want to pull the engine and have the lower end done, add a new intake and heads and throw the old stuff in a box for the next guy who buys the Vette.

My 81 only has 190 HP stock and I'm sure I can wring another 150 out of it with some work. Summit Racing also has a slew of motors if you want to go the new route.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This guy did.

He's here on the forum as well. Pamlbchvette I think. Something like that. I will be going a somewhat similar route, game plan all ready.

1. I will be getting a good quality top end kit and cam.. Some good looking aluminum heads for the buck on ebay at around $650 though.. Might want to look into that.
2. Get a Blueprint 396 shortblock
http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint+Engines/138/BP3960/10002/-1
3. Transfer heads, cam, intake, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
spezzy,that was a good video .it would have been complete if you would have had a drive by.you did a good job on the car .i liked the cross-flags on the console.:cheers:

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
e-tar how do you like those race ramps ?they look like good seats .hahahah:thumbsup:
Dude, those Race ramps are comfortable as hell to sit on... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres the low down on why I asked about the top end kit.
I am in the middle of rebuilding my vette and it will not be a original restore but a do what I want restore.:D This is how I like to drive, cruising at highway speeds being able to pass someone without effort and the occasional burnout. Would like to get decent gas mileage kind of like a modern day automobile. I have a 350 that I dont know the history of. It runs very good burns no oil seems real tight with no rattles and seems to produce the rated 190 hp or so. I have weighed all my options and here are my thoughts but keep in mind that my vette will never see a drag strip or a road course and I am not into street racing. I could buy a crate engine and spend $6000 after all is installed. Do a LS swap and have a used engine and still spend $6000 after all is installed. Take my original engine check the short block for wear and if it is in good shape install a top end kit and still have a used engine for $4500. This would allow me to spend more on the rest of the car. These figures are ball park but would include fuel injection and a overdrive transmission. I am thinking in the 400 HP range would make me happy.:D

I have read and thought about this and any opinions from fellow members is greatly appreciated. I know there are members that have gone through the same dilemma and would do things differently if they had it to do over Thanks Mark:cheers:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Heres the low down on why I asked about the top end kit.
I am in the middle of rebuilding my vette and it will not be a original restore but a do what I want restore.:D This is how I like to drive, cruising at highway speeds being able to pass someone without effort and the occasional burnout. Would like to get decent gas mileage kind of like a modern day automobile. I have a 350 that I dont know the history of. It runs very good burns no oil seems real tight with no rattles and seems to produce the rated 190 hp or so. I have weighed all my options and here are my thoughts but keep in mind that my vette will never see a drag strip or a road course and I am not into street racing. I could buy a crate engine and spend $6000 after all is installed. Do a LS swap and have a used engine and still spend $6000 after all is installed. Take my original engine check the short block for wear and if it is in good shape install a top end kit and still have a used engine for $4500. This would allow me to spend more on the rest of the car. These figures are ball park but would include fuel injection and a overdrive transmission. I am thinking in the 400 HP range would make me happy.:D

I have read and thought about this and any opinions from fellow members is greatly appreciated. I know there are members that have gone through the same dilemma and would do things differently if they had it to do over Thanks Mark:cheers:
Blueprint engines has a 396 small block produce over 500hp and torque for about $5 grand.

If it were me, I'd go that route.. or their 496 Big block.
As tempting as an LS engine sounds, there is nothing that beats a big block in my book. Although your car would handle well with the LS. Do what you WANT for the car. Don't try to rationalize saving money. We build these cars for our enjoyment, and any compromise we make will eventually be a waste of money. If you do the top end but deep down want an LS or Big block, you wasted some money. Catch my drift? Do it right the first time.

Coming from the 19 (near 20.. I'm getting old :laughing:) year old thats been daily driving his '76 since he was 16

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Do what you WANT for the car. Don't try to rationalize saving money. We build these cars for our enjoyment, and any compromise we make will eventually be a waste of money.

I agree with Spezzy..
Do the whole engine.. not bits of it... Sure you spend 4500, but then you need to upgrade other stuff to match the stuff you spent 4500 on and it comes to another 2 grand before you know it in parts and labor. (Especially labor)..

SO go buy the damned big block and put it in !! You will be happy you did the first time you hear your car roar... Believe me, I know what I'm talking about... monster muscle.. an orgasm every time !!

:laughing::laughing: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Just interested if anyone has upgraded their old 350 with a top end kit like this or any other brand and if so what was the results? :rolleyes:

Heres the linkhttp://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-K-415-405/

Thanks Mark:cheers:
Hey Marks, I was in the same position. I did not have the space or time to so a full rebuild. So I put on a new top end and cam and drive train. I plan on putting in a new engine later and can use all of these parts I put on the top. Here is the thread.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128460

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

George

·
Registered
552 Posts
Time for my standard advice.

Rebuild a 400 with stock crank, forged pistons, moly rings, mild hydraulic cam, full balance job but can still be external. This is all stuff a competent local machine shop can be trusted with. You're not asking for anything more than a standard plow truck motor in the northern states. Pobably 1500-2000 depending and it's a quality shortblock you can trust for 50k+

The reason people go to crate motors is they don't trust the local guy with a boutique style engine. A small block chevy's biggest strength is it's not a boutique engine unless you're running a sprint car.

Buy larger but mild aftermarket heads like dart iron eagles, edelbrock performer RPMs etc. Look for volume around 190-200. Tailor your compression with head choice to enable cheap TRW flat-tops. Put a single plane intake and 50-75cfm more carb than a similar 350.

Don't spin it past 5500. It's gonna make an honest 360-400hp depending on cam, even with that RPM limit. And it's gonna have the torque production and flat power curve you expect from a modern motor. Use a mild gear, exploit the torque, try not to buy stock in tire companies.

This is the best engine nobody builds and will push a heavy, mild street car into high 12s without many sacrifices. I've dumped similar into stick and auto cars and lemme tell ya, there is no such thing as being in the wrong gear. If the track would let me I'd love to run a small trailer, as I don't think it'd affect et more than a tenth or two.

I think the notion of using stock 400 parts just doesn't sound cool enough. Most guys would rather watch my taillights disappear and be able to effectively bench race about their $950 crankshaft.

IMO if you're spending more than $3500 on a small block chevy it better go elevens. Because if it don't this 400 would've been a better choice. It exploits everything good about stock block SBC. Exceed this power level and you have to spend the extra. But at 400 streetable hp there is no need for parts that'll earn bragging rights. All you need is the largest displacement small block offered, and enough head to make it a performance motor.

Long post. I got an itch for 400s & speedy typin fingers :D

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Time for my standard advice.

Rebuild a 400 with stock crank, forged pistons, moly rings, mild hydraulic cam, full balance job but can still be external. This is all stuff a competent local machine shop can be trusted with. You're not asking for anything more than a standard plow truck motor in the northern states. Pobably 1500-2000 depending and it's a quality shortblock you can trust for 50k+

The reason people go to crate motors is they don't trust the local guy with a boutique style engine. A small block chevy's biggest strength is it's not a boutique engine unless you're running a sprint car.

Buy larger but mild aftermarket heads like dart iron eagles, edelbrock performer RPMs etc. Look for volume around 190-200. Tailor your compression with head choice to enable cheap TRW flat-tops. Put a single plane intake and 50-75cfm more carb than a similar 350.

Don't spin it past 5500. It's gonna make an honest 360-400hp depending on cam, even with that RPM limit. And it's gonna have the torque production and flat power curve you expect from a modern motor. Use a mild gear, exploit the torque, try not to buy stock in tire companies.

This is the best engine nobody builds and will push a heavy, mild street car into high 12s without many sacrifices. I've dumped similar into stick and auto cars and lemme tell ya, there is no such thing as being in the wrong gear. If the track would let me I'd love to run a small trailer, as I don't think it'd affect et more than a tenth or two.

I think the notion of using stock 400 parts just doesn't sound cool enough. Most guys would rather watch my taillights disappear and be able to effectively bench race about their $950 crankshaft.

IMO if you're spending more than $3500 on a small block chevy it better go elevens. Because if it don't this 400 would've been a better choice. It exploits everything good about stock block SBC. Exceed this power level and you have to spend the extra. But at 400 streetable hp there is no need for parts that'll earn bragging rights. All you need is the largest displacement small block offered, and enough head to make it a performance motor.

Long post. I got an itch for 400s & speedy typin fingers :D

:agree: I feel like I use this a lot with you.

I replaced my old tired 350 with a 405. I too love the 400s.

I found a '74 400, bored it +.020, and starting building.

Three plan changes later and I have a very unique engine.

405 (Roller retrofit.)
Aluminum Vortec Heads, 2.02/1.60, 190cc, 64cc Chambers.
HR288
Flat Tops
10.15:1 SCR
Performer RPM

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
:agree: I feel like I use this a lot with you.

I replaced my old tired 350 with a 405. I too love the 400s.

I found a '74 400, bored it +.020, and starting building.

Three plan changes later and I have a very unique engine.

405 (Roller retrofit.)
Aluminum Vortec Heads, 2.02/1.60, 190cc, 64cc Chambers.
HR288
Flat Tops
10.15:1 SCR
Performer RPM
Am I correct in stating that 350 parts like heads and intake will not fit on a 400 block?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Am I correct in stating that 350 parts like heads and intake will not fit on a 400 block?

Kind of incorrect. They will bolt on and work. HOWEVER...the 400 required steam holes in the cylinder heads to alleviate a buildup of hot steam in the tight spaces with the cylinders being so close together. Prone to cracking without the steam holes.

Using that as a starting point, any 350 cylinder head can be bolted to a 400 so long as the steam holes are drilled. Don't forget about the head gaskets...they must have that hole too.

Knowing that...SBC intakes are easily shared between the whole family...including the 400.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Thanks DB I don't want to high jack this thread but I am going to get a new engine in my 81 sometime soon and am starting to look. I have a great machine shop I am going to use and I have all these 350 parts I just bought and want to reuse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts