Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Norval, What is your warm up procedure before you drop the hammer... What temps, water, oil? little load or no load. Thanks...

Redvette,,, what's yours also?? Been giving this a lot of thought lately.

Anyone else with info???

When I club raced it was not that much of a problem.

Running hillclimbs, about every hour you have a 2 plus mile run WFO,,,, then you sit for another hour and start all over again..

Would like to find the best way to warm a cold engine with the least amount of stress to the engine..

I run a accusump, so I have oil pressure when starting the engine..

Cant run a heater,, no electric in the pits.

Cant drive the car around, just to the starting line.. guess it's like drag racing with turns....lol.

Wish I could warm up an engine like the F1 cars do:laughing:

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
Norval, What is your warm up procedure before you drop the hammer... What temps, water, oil? little load or no load. Thanks...

Redvette,,, what's yours also?? Been giving this a lot of thought lately.

Anyone else with info???

When I club raced it was not that much of a problem.

Running hillclimbs, about every hour you have a 2 plus mile run WFO,,,, then you sit for another hour and start all over again..

Would like to find the best way to warm a cold engine with the least amount of stress to the engine..

I run a accusump, so I have oil pressure when starting the engine..

Cant run a heater,, no electric in the pits.

Cant drive the car around, just to the starting line.. guess it's like drag racing with turns....lol.

Wish I could warm up an engine like the F1 cars do:laughing:
you could always jack up the rear and gun through the gears in the pit

·
Registered
959 Posts
using a dry sump and having a tank heater I always warm the oil for 45 minutes every morning, then remove the belt and spin the pump with a drill and a donor belt, replace the belt and start it allowing the motor to run (around) 2000 rpm until I get water temp showing on the gauge.....I only race at Road America which gives me a four mile warmup/pace lap. On cold days I run some tape on the radiator/oil cooler.
redvetracr

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
using a dry sump and having a tank heater I always warm the oil for 45 minutes every morning, then remove the belt and spin the pump with a drill and a donor belt, replace the belt and start it allowing the motor to run (around) 2000 rpm until I get water temp showing on the gauge.....I only race at Road America which gives me a four mile warmup/pace lap. On cold days I run some tape on the radiator/oil cooler.
redvetracr

Thanks,, you running a restrictor plate or a thermostat?

Rules prohibit running car on stands in gear, I'm sure it's another one of those liability issues....to protect the dumb ass that would stand in front of the car:laughing: that would be good way to get the rest of the oils warm.... I've seen it done at drag races.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I pump the throttle 3 times then put on my harness and do up the side bar on the roll cage. This gives the gas a chance to evaporate and then I fire the motor. I then drive it easy until the temp is up to 180 or better and I see the oil temp gage move at least to 160. If I push in the clutch I want to see the oil pressure at idle drop down to 45-50. Cold it pegs the gage.
If all these conditions are met I consider the motor warmed up enough to let it go.
Cold oil spins bearings. You want the oil hot enough that the oil pressure drops while idling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts