Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if my overheating ordeal has ruined heads or engine, can the engine be pulled and changed from the top or bottom. or does the drive line complete need to be dropped out the bottom?:thud:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
the engine can be pulled from the top, havent tried engine and trans at the same time though

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The motor can be removed top or bottom

Personnal preference

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you drop the engine out the bottom, make sure you can raise the car high enough to get it out from under there.

Last year I swapped out an engine in a Caddy DHS. It was a Northstar that over heated and pulled the head stud threads out.
I did this in my garage with floor jacks.
I barely had enough room, but made a craddle to wheel it out

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
the engine can be pulled from the top, havent tried engine and trans at the same time though
Seeing as the trans is bolted directly to the differential I don't think the pair is coming out the top.:huh:

The entire driveline can be dropped out the bottom in one piece. I think this works best if you have two post lift(or a non drive on 4 post)

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Seeing as the trans is bolted directly to the differential I don't think the pair is coming out the top.:huh:

The entire driveline can be dropped out the bottom in one piece. I think this works best if you have two post lift(or a non drive on 4 post)
hencewhy i havent tried that yet :laughing: yea, the entire driveline and suspension/frame are desigbned to be removed together, basically just lifting the body off the chassis

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
hencewhy i havent tried that yet :laughing: yea, the entire driveline and suspension/frame are desigbned to be removed together, basically just lifting the body off the chassis
I've seen it done before, not so much a chassis as the frame rails are still with the body, but the front and rear suspensions are along for the ride. Its different thats for sure

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice link.

On the Caddy I dropped it with the wiring harness.
The goofy thing with that car, was the harness for an O2 sensor was secured to the body behind a heat shield.:WTF
I had to drill out rivets to remove the heat shield so i could free it up.

It sure would be nice to have a garage with a lift like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts