Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone here have a CNC engraving (or milling) machine or know where I can get it done?? I want to have something engraved like this:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Marck, What is the material and depth and approx size? It could be photo engraved (like on old fashioned printing) but I'm thinking this is pretty deep in a steel piece.

It's not the logo that goes on your the back of your six link setup, is it?:rolling:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wasn't there a guy on the pro-touring forum doing that stuff ? he was making laser etched stainless plaques and stuff.

Nick

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aluminium, depth doesn't really matter a whole lot, 1mm would be nice. i want to fill it w/ enamel paint or something. I want to weld up some valve covers or put that on some existing ones.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Aluminum is cake to photo etch 1mm. There is probably someone local to you that could do this however photo engraving is kind of a dying art for printing. Know any counterfeiters?:rolling:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here it's impossible to get anything apart from a big tax bill LOL. Everything runs through wholesalers who won't sell to the public. Same w/ machining, no one is waiting for some idiot to come around whining for a small bit of work to be done. I wish it was as easy as it sems to be over there, having machineshops locally and so on. No such things here. We have speed traps and traffic cops, nothing else LOL :rolling:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Marck, I have a friend here in the UK that works in a metal shop with access to a CNC machine. Do you have any drawings made using auto cad? Pretty sure thats what they use.

Let me know and I will shoot him a mail. He will do it for free if he can do it...well, maybe a bottle of Rum!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here it's impossible to get anything apart from a big tax bill LOL. Everything runs through wholesalers who won't sell to the public. Same w/ machining, no one is waiting for some idiot to come around whining for a small bit of work to be done. I wish it was as easy as it sems to be over there, having machineshops locally and so on. No such things here. We have speed traps and traffic cops, nothing else LOL :rolling:
It is a dying art and most photo engraving is done (even here) by artist making limited edition prints. Same process as etching a circuit board, same chemistry, same masking technique. There are some do it yourself PCB etching kits out there that use a laser printer to make the photo mask. These might not be available world wide though.

If you come up empty, send me the file and I will have it done.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cnc is easiest I think, and I like how it comes out w/ the tool paths showing.

Jotto, how affordable is royal mail these days? Last time I had something shipped from the UK I was royally screwed, not mailed LOL It was so damn expensive and slow too :D Have it in solidworks, can do about any format out there incl. autocad.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Marck....what you want maybe differant , but what you need is an engraver like did my shifter plate, and engine specs for my '72 console....

go to a sports placque/trophy engraver for your local teams/whatever....kids trophy shop...etc....

done super cheep here, and I found MY guy did a good job, and spend many an attempt due to size and shape to get 'er done....

not expensive......YMMV...but that's who can do it.....MY guy could do something in aluminum or brass or steel about 2'x3' or so in size....had a large table/jigs to handle most anything....

painting, I forget about allready....been a while....

·
Registered
371 Posts
cnc is easiest I think, and I like how it comes out w/ the tool paths showing.

Jotto, how affordable is royal mail these days? Last time I had something shipped from the UK I was royally screwed, not mailed LOL It was so damn expensive and slow too :D Have it in solidworks, can do about any format out there incl. autocad.
A couple of aluminium plates are going to be fairly light...shouldnt cost much at all. I was looking at royal mail and a small packet, airmail up to 1kg was only like 10 Euro's...
I will ask Chris which format is best and get back to you!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes go to the local jewler or trophy/plaque shop. I've had many things engraved at those two places. You may have something like that in your local shopping mall. In America personalized items are very popular, so we can find engraving, embroidery, and air brush shops around most every corner, especially in my hood, filled with soccer moms who absolutly love to have "customized" items. It is the way of the future here in the U.S., everybody wants to have some signiture series product with thier name on it. I own and operate a music record company based in Chicago, and one of the things we do is the sleeve insert, artwork, design and printing. The local music scene in Chicago is very big, so we get a lot that kind of business.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I do straight lettering with a CNC mill. I do alot of horse signs in wood but the mill doesn't care what it cuts. Again I only do lettering, any font but no emblems or anything else.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is were my Dutch buddy works.........

http://www.hesco.us/

They do all of that sort of stuff.
More than what the web site shows.
Contact them and ask for MARCO.......

He speaks all those European languages.
Might fix you up with a deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts