Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I go to drive my vette the damn things dead. It seems like that 9 out of 10 times. It’s been like this as long as I can recall. I don’t let it sit ether. I have an Optima battery, with a battery tender that seemed to do the trick, but no! I jumped it and drove for a while, parked in the drive and turned it off. Wont start after an hour drive :thud: So for some reason I yet again and a nether dead battery. MER!!!

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Do you have a digital voltmeter, and any much understanding of electricals at all?? if so most of us can walk you through it ok, if not, see if you can find a friend who understand basic electricity, and maybe help you.....i'ts not all that space science folks think it is, but i'ts not something a first grader an unnersand either....maybe a 5th grader, like ME, but that' an olde tyme story....

:laughing: :cheers:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I agree, a meter is invaluable here. Measure volts across your battery terminals
A. with the engine off - you should see 11.7 volts or better
B. with engine running - you should see in excess of 13 volts. If less than 13 volts when running, I would say you have a bad alternator.

NOTE - keep hands and test wire leads away from fans and pulleys!

It sounds like your battery is not getting charged when running (bad alternator), but we can't be sure unless we test the system as stated above.

I hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
DeeVeeEIGHT
is giving you good info, so take it seriously

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, a meter is invaluable here. Measure volts across your battery terminals
A. with the engine off - you should see 11.7 volts or better
B. with engine running - you should see in excess of 13 volts. If less than 13 volts when running, I would say you have a bad alternator.

NOTE - keep hands and test wire leads away from fans and pulleys!

It sounds like your battery is not getting charged when running (bad alternator), but we can't be sure unless we test the system as stated above.

I hope that helps!

Next time out I will take my hand voltmeter but that in dash one was reading around 15volts or so. I think before I tired to start it it was around 12 or so.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Check your charging system as stated Then we can walk you thru the battery drain quest that seems to plague alot of these cars. Also,the original copper coated auminum battery cables can corrode where you cannot tell.

·
Registered
910 Posts
A lot of parts stores test for free.
It needs to hook up to a vat machine to test the amp draw and availability at the starter when hot.
It casn also be used to test the full output of the alternator.

One stop shopping.:rolling:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Check your charging system as stated Then we can walk you thru the battery drain quest that seems to plague alot of these cars. Also,the original copper coated auminum battery cables can corrode where you cannot tell.
:agree:

Everyone here will jump right out and help. No problem. But most everyone needs a little input from your side as far as electrical stuff goes. Personally, my crystal ball has a big crack in it, and a sticker that says "INOP" so I need some more information.

:cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just because its an Optima doesn't mean its not bad. My first Optima went bad in less than a year. So far the replacement has been good for a little over a year but time will tell if its as reliable as other batteries I've owned. Get the battery checked before you do anything else.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just because its an Optima doesn't mean its not bad. My first Optima went bad in less than a year. So far the replacement has been good for a little over a year but time will tell if its as reliable as other batteries I've owned. Get the battery checked before you do anything else.
Thats what Im gunna do today. This is the 2nd or 3rd optima ive had so Im losing fath. If its not the bat its gunna be atleast a week before I can do anything else

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Optimas going bad? I just replaced my first one a few months ago. I had it in there since 97.
Yup and it seems like alot, for me any way. Just got back from having it tested, sure enough its bad. I charged it before I took it in. Was reading 12 volts then under load it drops to 5 and never really comes back. I know its not good to let a bat sit for a long time but thats why I got the tender. The tender did seem to do the trick the past few times.
Any thing I should look at for killing bats

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Same here, mine went kaput. Stored cold, tender hooked up. Just dead. One of the burst valves was open also, you could hear it hissing when charging w/ a quick charger. Warranty? non existent, got a simple reply that I must have overcharged it. Well, i have a high quality charger and this is the only one that went kaput. So much for that 200$ battery. The old Interstate Mega-Tron that came w/ my car is still alive and kicking, it's now over 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The friendly guys at your local AdvancedAuto or AutoZone will test your alternator and battery at no charge :thumbsup:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Any thing I should look at for killing bats[/QUOTE]

A bad voltage regulator in the alternator can allow the alternator to overcharge the battery. It sort of cooks the battery and can cause the battery to short internally, and/or boil the electrolyte out of it's cells.

If you are having so much on going trouble with your charging system, I might just replace that old alternator with a new one, and some new battery cables too, just to be on the safe side. I would also check the condition of the wires coming from the alternator to make sure that they do not have the potential to short out somewhere. Also check the wire connections at the starter, they are way down and tend to get greasy and full of road grime. Another item to look for is broken insulation on the battery cables, especially where there are sharp bends or where the cables might touch metal.

Any loose connections or dirty connections can create resistance and heat, which is not good for your electrical sytem.

Do all of your accessories turn off when you turn the engine off? Can you play the radio without the key turned on? Do you have digital display items that stay lit, an aftermarket amplifier or other items that might stay on? How about the dome light, does it turn off when the doors are closed? Does the headlight switch control the dome light like it should?
There are lots of potential reasons for your battery going dead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts