Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im one who often likes no music on, and the road noise from the rear of my new C6 was very aggravating. So, i chose to undertake a major insulation job that took about half a day to complete. The results were exceptionally pleasing. Heres what i did for anyone interested :

1. Removed the cargo area carpetting including far back vertical piece . They came out with a bit of patience . Looking at the underside of the carpetting , one can see why noise is a problem. The floor under the carpetting is plastic and the carpetting has virtually no insulating effect in many of its areas especially over the wheel wells. Further, there are large open cavities running along the sides of the car that make for a good echo chamber. I purchased a big roll of 1/2" underlayment with foil backing from J.C. Whitney along with some spray adhesive and covered the entire areas on the perimeter and over the wheel wells. For the floor, i used their 1" special insulation with foil backing . For the large open cavities along the sides and behind the rear speakers, i used regular fiberglass insulation . I put the carpetting back down and even with all the added insulation, was able to make it fit and looke like it did before with the rear cargo bin lids still opening fine.

2. Next, i took off each rear wheel and removed the plastic liner that is inside each well. It came out pretty easy . I glued some 1/2" insulation with foil backing all the way around the topside of the Liner , but before doing that, i pushed quite a bit of regular fiberglass insulation in the outer open cavities before and aft the wheel wells. While i had the wheels off, i chose to paint the brake calipers which really turned out nice. Put everything back together again for a nice tight fit.

Went for a ride. What a huge difference. It is really enjoyable now and well worth the effort.
I figured i used about 10-15 lbs. of insulation total.

DISCLAIMER : I am hereby not responsible if you perform this insulation job and loose 1/20th of a second in the quarter mile due to the added weight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm going to do mine and didn't know if the wheel yubs were easy to take out. It's best to put the first layer of sound absorbing material near the source, like you did.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i put dynamate in mine when i had the wheel wells off doing the rear fender change. i planed on removing the rear carpet to put more dynamate back there before i added the lg headers...now i would have to do the whole car interior which would mask the wonderful sound of the headers...not sure that is happening now as it is music to my ears...more soothing then quit as well!!!!!

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Thanks for the info. Want mine quieter too!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made a huge difference in sound levels. Once you start insulating, youll also discover how GM put together the various panels, etc...I was impressed with the fit and finish and design of things. The biggest contributor for insulating, is to get as much insulation over and around the wheel wells and adjoining cavities once you have the rear wheels off. Youll see the various places that you can stuff insulation -- i used mostly 6" batts in those places which really helped. Should warm up / cool down in the cab better now .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts