Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking to buy a cat-back exhaust system for my '77.
I've been looking at the Magnaflow system (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-16836/) but it states that it is for a '74 Corvette... I need to know whether there is a difference between the '77 and '74. I wouldn't think there would be, so I'm assuming this will just bolt right up, but I don't want to take any chances. (And yes, I tried using the search function but couldn't find anything specific)
Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I'm not sure why or how they advertise it as a "cat back" system when the picture obviously shows a full system manifold back. :crazy:

I believe the '74 had no cats too.

This system will probably work fine if you replace the entire system and eliminate your cats.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
you could check other exhaust companies/sites and see if the part number for the 74' is the same as the 77'? It might work. Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A lot of times I'll contact the manufacturer for clarifications. Maybe they can help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is what I read....
<LI class=pdetail>Exhaust System Kit; Stainless Steel Manifold-Back System; 5 x 8 x 14 in. Mufflers; 2.5 in. Tubing; Dual Rear E
Doesn't say cat back

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are right, I misread the part description, it is a manifold-back system...
I'm looking at parts through Summit because my school has a deal with Atech Motorsports (basically summit) and I get a subsantial discount on parts.

So now I'm wondering if I could get that and just cut the pipe to fit to my Hooker headers... May take a little bit of work, but shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Get the car to an exhaust shop.

Tell them you want 2.5" true dual exhaust with a pair of Magnaflow mufflers and stealth the tips.

A shop will be able to do a MUCH better job of cutting to fit and tucking everything up better.

Not only that, all the joints will be welded.

Overall, a custom in house job will be better quality and you know it'll fit right when their done.

The work is warrantied too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You guys are right, I misread the part description, it is a manifold-back system...
I'm looking at parts through Summit because my school has a deal with Atech Motorsports (basically summit) and I get a subsantial discount on parts.

So now I'm wondering if I could get that and just cut the pipe to fit to my Hooker headers... May take a little bit of work, but shouldn't be too hard.
If you can get the system for a substantial discount I'd recommend buying it, provided you don't need cats for inspection. The Magnaflow system is great quality and sounds terrific. You can easily fab a couple of short pipes to go between the trans crossmember and your headers, probably using some of the Magnaflow pipe that comes with the system.

Here are a couple of pics of basically the same system and a short vid of the sound. Keep in mind that the LS1 engine has a different firing order than the older 350 so it sounds a bit different, and the X-pipe makes a difference in the sound also.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can get the system for a substantial discount I'd recommend buying it, provided you don't need cats for inspection. The Magnaflow system is great quality and sounds terrific. You can easily fab a couple of short pipes to go between the trans crossmember and your headers, probably using some of the Magnaflow pipe that comes with the system.

Here are a couple of pics of basically the same system and a short vid of the sound. Keep in mind that the LS1 engine has a different firing order than the older 350 so it sounds a bit different, and the X-pipe makes a difference in the sound also.

Rick B.
Rick, that sounds amazing! I've emailed Magnaflow to see if there is some physical aspect of that system that would not allow me to install it. If not, I will most likely get that system and figure out a way to make it fit. :partyon:

·
Registered
366 Posts
They also have the same system with single downturned tips like your stock exhaust. I don't see why you would have any problems installing it if you have a trans crossmember with 2 exhaust holes. BTW, don't hold your breath waiting for a reply to your email. My system was missing the 2 rubber hangers so I emailed them about getting a pair. Never heard anything, but I did find hangers at the local chain parts store.

Rick B.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They also have the same system with single downturned tips like your stock exhaust. I don't see why you would have any problems installing it if you have a trans crossmember with 2 exhaust holes. BTW, don't hold your breath waiting for a reply to your email. My system was missing the 2 rubber hangers so I emailed them about getting a pair. Never heard anything, but I did find hangers at the local chain parts store.

Rick B.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Still haven't heard from them. But I went ahead and ordered it, so I'm pretty stoked! Can't wait to get my car up and running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts