Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted about excessive heat on the driver side of the engine. My MC and Alt were getting REALLY hot, or at least I thought they were. . I now think I know why.

After putting about 550 miles on the rebuilt engine, I got an exhaust leak on the passenger side. I replaced the header and collector gaskets with some more MrGasket gaskets:rolleyes:. Well those POS's blew out. This time I heard the leak on the passenger side, and decided to replace them with Felpro gaskets. I found the drivers side gasket was blown out in 2 different places. I now think that is where my excessive heat was coming from. What I don't understand is why I couldn't hear the leak. The gasket was blown out in the middle and there was quite a bit of it missing.

I now have the Felpro's in and the passenger side is excellent, but the drivers side is leaking somewhere in the middle again. My question what should I do about this leak. I bought another set of Felpro gaskets and was going to double them up. I'm thinking I have a warped header but I'm not sure how to check it. Taking it out is going to be a PIA.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A while back I posted about excessive heat on the driver side of the engine. My MC and Alt were getting REALLY hot, or at least I thought they were. . I now think I know why.

After putting about 550 miles on the rebuilt engine, I got an exhaust leak on the passenger side. I replaced the header and collector gaskets with some more MrGasket gaskets:rolleyes:. Well those POS's blew out. This time I heard the leak on the passenger side, and decided to replace them with Felpro gaskets. I found the drivers side gasket was blown out in 2 different places. I now think that is where my excessive heat was coming from. What I don't understand is why I couldn't hear the leak. The gasket was blown out in the middle and there was quite a bit of it missing.

I now have the Felpro's in and the passenger side is excellent, but the drivers side is leaking somewhere in the middle again. My question what should I do about this leak. I bought another set of Felpro gaskets and was going to double them up. I'm thinking I have a warped header but I'm not sure how to check it. Taking it out is going to be a PIA.
cut the flange with a hack saw or a Sawzall.....two cuts per flange.
redvetracr

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cut the flange with a hack saw or a Sawzall.....two cuts per flange.
redvetracr

Seperate the two center tubes from the flange:thumbsup: Should I still use 2 gaskets?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
these are headman ceramic coated headers. The flange is thick. I'll try the felpros since I have them and they're new. Now I got to pull the header out.

Thanks guys:cheers:
Good excuse to buy that Sawz-All you always wanted.:laughing:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good excuse to buy that Sawz-All you always wanted.:laughing:
I've done some damage with sawzall, goes through exhaust like butter:laughing: . I also tried to cut holes in the ceiling for recess lighting cans with it.....that didn't work to well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem

What I did to fix it and have not had a problem since. Went to O'Reily's and bought aluminum gaskets. The ones that go to each individual port. The 4 center ports I doubled up. Left the outside ones single. The inside ports can get 200 degrees hotter. Since doing this I have put about 1000 miles on her and not one leak yet. Only cost about $15 and 30 min. to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts