Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I kind of like the sound of glasspacks but I am worried about the longevity of them. I want to get a good sounding exhaust. Deep, grumbly, but not deafening.

Unfortunately, I have to run a Cat for 3 more years also. :( So I will be putting a set of high flow cats on the car also.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
So I kind of like the sound of glasspacks but I am worried about the longevity of them. I want to get a good sounding exhaust. Deep, grumbly, but not deafening.

Unfortunately, I have to run a Cat for 3 more years also. :( So I will be putting a set of high flow cats on the car also.

The biggest problem with glass packs that I have encountered is their propensity for absorbing and holding on to moisture.

You can fight this a little bit by making sure that every time you start the engine it gets up to operating temp and not just start it and shut it off after only a few minutes.

This pushes a lot of moisture through the mufflers and if the engine exhaust doesn't get a chance to heat up and burn off the moisture it just sits in the glass and rots the mufflers from the inside out.

Chambered mufflers tend to last longer but lack the appeal that glass packed mufflers have.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I put a set of 2 1/4 inch chambered exhaust from Allen's on my L46 '69. Sounds like stock side pipes but out the back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts