Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've put the STS Baffles in place of the reverse flow mufflers, the exhaust will pop occasionally while going downhill with no throttle applied or after I let off after opening it up.
Is this common? Is it harmful to the engine at all? If it is, what would be the remedy?
It's not really a problem just curious is all.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Ever since I've put the STS Baffles in place of the reverse flow mufflers, the exhaust will pop occasionally while going downhill with no throttle applied or after I let off after opening it up.
Is this common? Is it harmful to the engine at all? If it is, what would be the remedy?
Are you running a smog pump/diverter valve?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That little valve on the intake? No I replaced the intake with an aluminum edelbrock intake.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. where is that located at?

·
Registered
226 Posts
No. The valve on the smog pump. Also called diverter valve, gulp valve, or "anti-backfire valve."
If you don't have a smog pump like bird suggests did yo drill a hole in the caps of the baffles or did you install them as is? I just pulled mine and drilled them this weekend and it seem to increase the flow and reduced a problem I was having with fumes. I am wandering if you may have a rich condition like I do and the fumes are building up in the pipes and detonating. Just a guess.

Wade

·
Registered
697 Posts
Crimson.....

My side pipes with STS baffles installed do the same thing...but the pop is almost not noticable. The exhaust really poped when I first took it out for a test drive just to see how loud it was without the baffles in!

I know mine is running a bit rich because of the lack of back pressure from switching from the stock to side pipes....I'm planning on tweaking the carb this winter to see if that helps.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't have a smog pump like bird suggests did yo drill a hole in the caps of the baffles or did you install them as is? I just pulled mine and drilled them this weekend and it seem to increase the flow and reduced a problem I was having with fumes. I am wandering if you may have a rich condition like I do and the fumes are building up in the pipes and detonating. Just a guess.

Wade
Yes, I drilled the baffle caps out to 7/8, but they popped before that. And mainly on the passenger side.

Bird: I don't think I have a smog pump so I'll just say no. The only emissions I have is a pcv valve and breather on the valve covers.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yes, I drilled the baffle caps out to 7/8, but they popped before that. And mainly on the passenger side.

Bird: I don't think I have a smog pump so I'll just say no. The only emissions I have is a pcv valve and breather on the valve covers.
Okay thanks. Just trying to eliminate some things. Most all older cars of this period kind of "talk" when slowing down. The manifold vacuum shoots way up, gulping raw gas. Some is normal, alot is not. Have you ever set your timing to Lar's specifications? It could help.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks bird:thumbsup: I'll look into it when the rain clears up next week.:rolling:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts