Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the major difference between the 89 c4 and 93 c4 exhaust system. The bodys are the same and so should the exhaust system. I think the bolt pattern for the headers is still the same as well. Since the 93 has a larger dia exhaust system than the 89. would it not make since to install the 93 system if your not looking for that much power and your wife has you on a budget.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yea the 93 C4 (mostly 2 3/4 inch pipe) exhaust is a good step up over the 89 exhaust system.......the 93 has true dual pipes all the way down, never going into just one pipe at any area......even the 93 C4 type resonator is a straight 2 pipe high flow thru design........I know of many 650-750 horsepower C4's(including mine) running the factory 2 3/4 inch pipes.......many also prefer the 2 3/4 inch exhaust for a street driven car....compared to the louder, more resonating 3 inch exhaust pipes.........Joe:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
one of the performance magazines recently did a test on a car , too show the differance between a 2.5" and 3" full length exhaust, the differance at PEAK hp was only 5 hp BUT thats not nearly the full story, over almost the entire tq curve the 3" exhaust showed at least slightly better power and surprizingly even low in the rpm range it showed an 11 hp advantage over the slightly smaller dia. exhaust.
keep in mind the engine they tested was moderately hopped up, if they had tested an engine with larger displacement and useing nitrous the differance would be far larger

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if I'm going to change out the exhaust anyway but don't want to spend a hugh amount of money, a stock 92-96 C4 exhaust should work much better than the stock 89 exhaust. I just mainly want the exhaust from the headers to the mufflers. The 89 has 2.25 inch pipes. So 3 inch should make it really breath.

·
Registered
441 Posts
So, if I'm going to change out the exhaust anyway but don't want to spend a hugh amount of money, a stock 92-96 C4 exhaust should work much better than the stock 89 exhaust. I just mainly want the exhaust from the headers to the mufflers. The 89 has 2.25 inch pipes. So 3 inch should make it really breath.
as mentioned, the 93 C4 exhaust your refering to is 2 3/4 inch(aside from the really tight bends)....and yes, it will be a decent step up.......:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts