Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just ordered a set of the 1 7/8" headers from Josh which should be in in the next couple of days, and I figure I might as well go to dual exhaust now. I am thinking of 3" piping since I plan on a 396" Blueprint small block crate motor or 454, depending on funds when the time comes.Until then I will be dropping in a bigger cam and heads on the stock L-48.

However, I am looking to get some opinions on mufflers since I may change them.. Undecided at the moment since I do have electric cutouts and might not bother. Looking for a deep sound that won't be fliing the cabin with resonance/drone. I do hear a bunch of muscle cars that drive by me but have no idea what exhaust they run. Thrush Turbos seem to have that deep tone I'm looking for, that feel it in your chest type of sound. If anyone has any ideas as to what I'm looking for please chime in. Thanks all.

-Nikko

·
Registered
552 Posts
Couple things to remember,

First, power = noise. So mufflers that may be the correct sound for a mild small block will wake the dead when muffling 475 hp. So if your car is about to take a quantum leap in power, select mufflers that don't sound agressive with the small block.

Second, drone & resonance are caused by pipe diameter and geometry more than muffler selection. Long, straight sections of pipe allow "standing wave" vibration. That drone isn't the engine, it's exhaust pipe vibration.

You can minimize drone by adding bends to the pipe so there's not straight sections more than about 18" long, and keeping pipe diameter to a minimum will also reduce drone.

Personally, I would be real careful choosing 3" pipes for the bottom of a C3. Not a lot of room, runs risk of increased drone, and honestly not a lot of need for the extra diameter. 2.5 is really enough pipe for anything other than a full drag car.

good luck with your project

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I ran 2.5" duals with Magnaflow's on my 75.
Not too loud, but has a nice rumble to her.
I'm running the stock l-48 with a mild cam.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Couple things to remember,

First, power = noise. So mufflers that may be the correct sound for a mild small block will wake the dead when muffling 475 hp. So if your car is about to take a quantum leap in power, select mufflers that don't sound agressive with the small block.

Second, drone & resonance are caused by pipe diameter and geometry more than muffler selection. Long, straight sections of pipe allow "standing wave" vibration. That drone isn't the engine, it's exhaust pipe vibration.

You can minimize drone by adding bends to the pipe so there's not straight sections more than about 18" long, and keeping pipe diameter to a minimum will also reduce drone.

Personally, I would be real careful choosing 3" pipes for the bottom of a C3. Not a lot of room, runs risk of increased drone, and honestly not a lot of need for the extra diameter. 2.5 is really enough pipe for anything other than a full drag car.

good luck with your project
Mufflers that are quiet on a stock small-block will KILL power on a big-cube small block or big-block. I have found (from personal experience) that muffler selection is very critical concerning drone. I switched from Flowmaster 40's to Hooker Max-flows and the Flowmaster drone was gone. This is on a 3 inch system. Keep in mind that bends in a system create back-pressure. Use mandrel bends anywhere you can. Use an X-pipe crossover. BTW....the C-6 Z06 uses 3 inch exhaust from the factory. So, IMO, if you are at or above 500 fwhp, go with a 3 inch system and free-lowing mufflers. Search for muffler test data, I had posted some a while back.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Okay to preface this, I have tried both Flowmaster and Magnaflow on several different engine types and vehicle types.

I MUCH prefer Magnaflow. Almost no painful resonance or drone, just a deep rumble at idle and a powerful growl at high RPMs.

I agree with Big G in the way that a high HP high cube engine will breath well with straight flowing 3" tubing.

If you'll be targeting under 500 HP you won't see much in the way of gains with anything over 2.5".

That being said, it'll be much easier to tuck a 2.5" system under the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts