Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to change the exhaust on my '84. At the moment it is standard factory and is therefore too quiet and, as most factory exhausts are, too restrictive. The system itself is in otherwise good condition, so all I hope to gain is a better flow and a nice sound.

My question is:
Is the whole system crap, or is it only parts of it that really need to be given the flick, such as the mufflers. How good, or bad, is everything from the heads to the mufflers.

Two things to consider here:
1. I cannot walk into a GM dealer here and buy OEM or aftermarket Corvette parts. If I want an aftermarket exhaust I'll either have to import one from the US or get one custom made here, and

2. This means that anything I buy will cost me double what you guys quote in the US.

If I have to chuck the whole lot, then so be it, but I would like to research the facts before blindly stumbling off. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
OzC4 said:
I would like to change the exhaust on my '84. At the moment it is standard factory and is therefore too quiet and, as most factory exhausts are, too restrictive. The system itself is in otherwise good condition, so all I hope to gain is a better flow and a nice sound.

My question is:
Is the whole system crap, or is it only parts of it that really need to be given the flick, such as the mufflers. How good, or bad, is everything from the heads to the mufflers.

Two things to consider here:
1. I cannot walk into a GM dealer here and buy OEM or aftermarket Corvette parts. If I want an aftermarket exhaust I'll either have to import one from the US or get one custom made here, and

2. This means that anything I buy will cost me double what you guys quote in the US.

If I have to chuck the whole lot, then so be it, but I would like to research the facts before blindly stumbling off. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I must have spaced out and not seen this thread. VERY SORRY!

First, if you are interested in a more muscle-like sound, I would cut off your mufflers, have a shop weld in some straight pipe. It's a ton cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust setup, and you might like the sound quite a bit.

Sure, the factory exhaust system is always more restrictive than an aftermarket exhaust system. But, I gained practically zero HP when I went with the Corsa exhaust.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
you cant buy them there but you can have them on your car?sounds like a hawaiian law.what Pat said is cool if you just want a little more flow a sound,but if your going to do the cat back,i would just start right at the headers.theres kits that are pretty affordable.did you convert to right hand drive?:surprised welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey,

welcome 2 the fourm, im live in australia too (perth). If i was you i would save up and just import a exhuast system, they arn't that many good quailty system made in australia.

Just abit off topic: is your car RHD? (mine is still LHD and its an 1988)
Did u buy it localy or did you import?

good 2 see more vette in australia :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re: Re: Exhaust tips (the other kind...)

Patrick96LT4 said:
First, if you are interested in a more muscle-like sound, I would cut off your mufflers, have a shop weld in some straight pipe. It's a ton cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust setup, and you might like the sound quite a bit.:thumbsup:
Err . . . although a V8 with straight-through exhaust might sound tough, I'm pretty sure the law might not be so impressed. I'd still like to drive this thing on the street. Having said that though, I have read somewhere that it doesn't end up being all that loud anyway. Might have to just suck-it-and-see I guess.

Mine is RHD. I didn't convert it, it was done when I bought it, but it seems to be a half reasonable job. If it wasn't converted, I wouldn't be able to register it. To register a LHD car in South Aus, it has to be classed as "Special Interest". That's usually defined as old and collectable. Number one criteria is that it is 30 years old. So I could register a LHD '73 (possibly even a '74) or older but not an '84. Which sort of buggers me for ever owning a ZR-1, because in my book to modify or alter a rare and collectable vehicle is vandalism. I guess I'll just have to wait til they're 30.:)

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Exhaust tips (the other kind...)

OzC4 said:
Err . . . although a V8 with straight-through exhaust might sound tough, I'm pretty sure the law might not be so impressed. I'd still like to drive this thing on the street. Having said that though, I have read somewhere that it doesn't end up being all that loud anyway. Might have to just suck-it-and-see I guess.

Mine is RHD. I didn't convert it, it was done when I bought it, but it seems to be a half reasonable job. If it wasn't converted, I wouldn't be able to register it. To register a LHD car in South Aus, it has to be classed as "Special Interest". That's usually defined as old and collectable. Number one criteria is that it is 30 years old. So I could register a LHD '73 (possibly even a '74) or older but not an '84. Which sort of buggers me for ever owning a ZR-1, because in my book to modify or alter a rare and collectable vehicle is vandalism. I guess I'll just have to wait til they're 30.:)
Correct, having no mufflers is not having straight pipes. Your cats (a little), and your center resonator reduce volume.

So, cutting off the mufflers is not as obnoxious as ya think.

:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I did the muffler elimanators and it's suprisingly not that load. It just give you a nice solid sound. It does have a nice sound when you stomp on it though:D

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Just an FYI. Before reading the other posts.
I have a '84, I use the FlowMasters, with the blk. muffler tips. From a ZR-1.
Using for the last 3 years. Great sound.
I love EM"
tony

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Dynomax also makes bullet style mufflers for cheap.

Dynomax Bullet

Summit Racing/Dynomax

Dynomax Race Mufflers

I'm not 100% certain but the 84 doesn't have pre-cats right? If all you have is the single main cat then just straight pipes might be a little too loud for the coppers. If you have pre-cats then the straight pipe should be reasonable enough.

·
Registered
67 Posts
War Machine said:
Dynomax also makes bullet style mufflers for cheap.

Dynomax Bullet

Summit Racing/Dynomax

Dynomax Race Mufflers

I'm not 100% certain but the 84 doesn't have pre-cats right? If all you have is the single main cat then just straight pipes might be a little too loud for the coppers. If you have pre-cats then the straight pipe should be reasonable enough.
Bullet Style mufflers look abit RICE for me:down:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Soulja_350 said:
Bullet Style mufflers look abit RICE for me:down:
Mallet's GS race car has bullets, kind of hard to see in this pic. They stick out too much, but I actually like the single tip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts