Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Darwin award nominee
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would this set up work instead of cutting and installing an x-pipe. Just curious, getting bored sitting in the house. Car already has TPIS long tubes into 3" y-pipe, Random Tech Cat, into B&B 2.5".
What I would like to do is install a 3" x-Pipe,remove the cat and run true duals. Then surfing the net, I saw this setup. Just Curious if there is any benefit to it, besides being easier.
Thanks.

Attachments

· Registered
423 Posts
i would think a true X would flow better and promote scavaging better than the setup you show in the pic.

more or less that is i 2 into 1, short piece of pipe, then back into 2 than it is an X

for most applications it might not make much difference, but i could be wrong.

just my .02

just for the record, i have hedman LT hedders, 2.5" that come into a single run of 3" the length of the driveshaft, then back out to 2.5" to little tiny single chamber mufflers. I added the headers and changed the mufflers, and will probably eventually change all the piping out to a true X setup instead of opposing Y's

· Registered
420 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
Why would you want to run true duals? Without the X-pipe, you will lose scavenging. All that setup looks like is it is a poor 2 into 1 unit. Might as well get a good setup like say Borla

· Registered
543 Posts
A long time ago, I disconnected the exhaust in my 91 Firebird so that it would dump out a little after the headers. Took a run with the pipes strapped down so that it would simulate the same weight. Since the exhaust dumped past the collectors, it simulates true duals with perfect pipes. No kinks and absolutely free flowing, no resistance. Results were so similar to the runs I made with that I concluded there was no real difference with true duals except for the rice factor.

Besides at WOT, I would think scavenging would become an issue so it might actually hurt performance.

· Registered
267 Posts
hi guys how about my set up,it comes from previous owner, inox pipes are 2 1/2", center resonator,mufflers,and headman long tube 1 5/8,my engine is stock with minor goodies,how about that center resonator? does it works?

a fast 3D of this set up

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

· Registered
543 Posts
If I am looking at it right, the exhaust pules mix in the center chamber so it is pretty much an X pipe. Should be fine

· Registered
267 Posts
I don't know inside resonator how exaust gas flows,sometimes there's a sort of x tubing that makes the same as an x pipe... a month ago i put Hedmann headers long tube 1" 5/8,guys i don't feel a big difference,the car seams to run better at highier rpm,but actualy at botton end i don't feel that bang anymore...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.