Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got several questions. I have a 89 coupe that is all stock. The exhaust needs to be completely replaced, headers back.

1. Can I replace the entire system with a true dual? If so, I can put dual cats just behind the headers. If so, is there anything that may hinder the ECM? I'd still put a O2 sensor in the stock location.

2. I want to use the Magnaflow mufflers, but I want true dual. Summit sells the cats for about $60 each. What should I do??????

I'm on a limited budget and I'll be doing all the work.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Yes duals will fit. I have 3" duals on my car. The cats are futher back in the system though after the X pipe. Here are a few pics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
raidmagic thanks for the reply. It's settled,:partyon: I'm putting true duals on.

Would one big cat work, say with 4 inch in and out, or do they make a cat that has dual in and outs?

Love the way you got yours to work.

Were there any other air lines connected to the old cats?

I've looked at illistrations of the exhaust sytem and it shows a line it looks like going from the engine to the cat. I'm assuming its the cat. Just behind the headers is what I think is a resinator then goes to single pipe to what I beleive is the cat.

·
Registered
221 Posts
the line goes to your smog pump I beleive. I got a dual system from Corvette Central it was like $200 then you buy whatever mufflers you want. The kit bolts right up to the stock manifolds and has a bung for your O2 sensor. Dual exhaust won't have any impact on your ecm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Those are not resonators behind the exhaust manifolds. Those are the pre-cats. They''re useless. Throw them away. When you put your hi-flow cats on, they will be enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hate to beat a dead horse. I see 2 1/2" and 3" systems for the 91 to 95 Vettes. What is the major difference between these and the early C4's? If all I need to do is install some pipe from the system to the header then it's doable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts