Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can I get a metal expansion tank for a reasonable price? I don't care about being the correct style, it just has to fit nicely on the fender and not cost $150 :crazy:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Jegs and Summit Racing both have them. get a overflow bottle instead of a catch can.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the heads up guys. What's the difference between a catch can and an overflow bottle?

·
Registered
910 Posts
thanks for the heads up guys. What's the difference between a catch can and an overflow bottle?
Your first question was about a expansion tank.
There are really only 2 kinds, an expansion tank and a recovery/overflow/catch can.

The separate expansion tank has a pressurized radiator cap. It is primarily used where there is no rad cap on the radiator such as the old aluminum Harrison plate radiators that did not have expansion tanks built into the rad. Common in the midyears.
(A cooling system needs some type of expansion tank, internal or external)
They can also be used in a case where the rad cap on a normal system is lower than the engine to allow purging of air. (stock Pantera)

An overflow tank is not pressurised and has a vented cap. It is used on a radiator that has a pressure cap and built in expansion tanks. It collects any coolant that gets past the pressurised radiator cap and prevents coolant spillage on the ground. It can also be used in addition to an external expansion tank. It simply prevents spillage. An environmental thing on the street or at the track a safety issue.

Both terms are used loosely and can create confusion.

Here is a link for some tanks that can be used either way and are under your target $150.00.
http://cantonracingproducts.com/tanks/expansion_tanks.html#80200

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your first question was about a expansion tank.
There are really only 2 kinds, an expansion tank and a recovery/overflow/catch can.

The separate expansion tank has a pressurized radiator cap. It is primarily used where there is no rad cap on the radiator such as the old aluminum Harrison plate radiators that did not have expansion tanks built into the rad. Common in the midyears.
(A cooling system needs some type of expansion tank, internal or external)
They can also be used in a case where the rad cap on a normal system is lower than the engine to allow purging of air. (stock Pantera)

An overflow tank is not pressurised and has a vented cap. It is used on a radiator that has a pressure cap and built in expansion tanks. It collects any coolant that gets past the pressurised radiator cap and prevents coolant spillage on the ground. It can also be used in addition to an external expansion tank. It simply prevents spillage. An environmental thing on the street or at the track a safety issue.

Both terms are used loosely and can create confusion.

Here is a link for some tanks that can be used either way and are under your target $150.00.
http://cantonracingproducts.com/tanks/expansion_tanks.html#80200
thanks for the clarification. From what you've said I think I just need a recovery tank. I just put in an aluminum radiator from speedway and re-used the old cap (#12 I think?). Letting it sit for a bit after a long drive results in a little overflow coming out the port above the initial seal of the cap. I just need to catch this overflow and hopefully let it re-enter the cooling system later on. Otherwise I have to top it off every other time I drive it :huh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts