Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As fatherlarry said above, the paint on my 96 GS get's scratch if a leaf blows across the hood.

I have had ZERO luck with Zaino Z5 (that is supposed to hide those types of towel mark scratches).

I have gone back to using a wax. I'm using Mothers now, and then (hold onto your horses) using the Armor All detailing spray.

The Mothers (red bottle) has a great shine, leaves no residue (white powder in cracks) and it darkens the paint a bit, and really brings out the "pearl look" of the admiral blue.

And, the big thing is it hides all of the marks that show right through Zaino.

I've used Zaino for years, so I know all of it's merits. I am gonna run this combo for a while, and see where it gets me.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
War machine said:
That's about the only thing I don't like about Zaino. It makes the paint so clear that the scratches or imperfections show up better. That's even after I used the Zaino scratch remover stuff.
You mean Z5, the scratch "hider". But, I cannot get it to ever hide anything.

This Mothers wax is so smooooooth and creamy.... and leaves no residue in the cracks. Comes off great.

It hides everything, versus me having to hit it with a buffer once a month to help Zaino make my car look good!

I'll tell ya, if I had a brand new black Z06, I'd use Zaino, but the stuff is so CRYSTAL CLEAR it makes my car look bad. :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks good. I have to give my car a good cleaning this winter and maybe I will use the mothers instead or the Zaino.

Those stickers stuck on your car permanant or was it a temp thing you did?

What's it say on the door?

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
REDGAR said:
Looks good. I have to give my car a good cleaning this winter and maybe I will use the mothers instead or the Zaino.

Those stickers stuck on your car permanant or was it a temp thing you did?

What's it say on the door?
The stickers on the car were part of the 3000+ mile journey for the Stars and Stripes tour. The side of the car was very similar to a 90's pace car and said "Stars and Stripes 2002" .. then below it said "Corvettes Across America" then "July 20-July 4 2002" ... the stickers on the fender were from places that supported the event, or held stop-overs... including the NCM & Mid America.

The stickers are all gone now. But, here are pics with them on....

What a great event that was!

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
REDGAR said:
Car looks good with stickers.
Funny you mention that.

We stayed in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the way back, and the next morning we left the lodge and headed to the car to hit the twisty roads.

As we walked to the car, we noticed a bunch of people standing around it taking pictures of themselves in front of the car.

It was a strange moment when I had to pop the hatch to put my luggage in.

They were all embarrassed! I was like "go ahead, take pictures... you want me to come back later?". They all wanted to know if it was a "real racecar" and if I was in the Cannonball Run.

I love America.

:cool:

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
REDGAR said:
Of course the number on the back it is a REAL racer
Tehehehe ... that is my "god given" GS number... #846.... :) Anyway, the devil said "666" was taken....

:cool:

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
War machine said:
LOL! I guess you can say that. :D It took care of the light thin scratches but it didn't hide the bigger ones.
I even did experiments with it... different ways of applying, different drying times, different removal process. I tried it a million different ways. I buffed out the car with 39009 and that was far better then attempting to hide it with z5.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Patrick:

Agree with you 100% . Z5 might take out superficially small bemishes but it will never touch a scratch. I use the 3M products for any blem or scratch. It's easier and faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts