Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 357,000 private and commercial aircraft in the U.S., including small planes, private jets, big airliners and cargo planes. The Federal Aviation Administration has revealed a third of those aircraft have "questionable registration," meaning the government is no longer sure who owns them. That's going to change, but it's going to take three years.

Under the old rules a plane was registered when purchased but there was no requirement to re-register unless the aircraft was sold or scrapped or the owner moved or died. The plan was voluntary and according to the FAA, year after year an increasing number of owners failed to update their registration or file the proper paperwork. Today, the FAA says there are questions about the ownership of more than 132,000 aircraft, an astounding number that has security experts shaking their heads.

Bob Strang, a retired FBI agent and former co-chair of the New York 9/11 Anti-Terrorism Task Force, called it "shocking," saying "this should've been done a long time ago. We need to be able to immediately identify the owner of any plane by it's tail number. Police officers can I.D. vehicles from their tags within seconds... it's insane we can't do it with planes."

Another retired Federal agent, Bill Daly, says he's very concerned that planes could be used by drug smugglers or worse, terrorists.

"In my view these planes could be used to attack us."

Letters went out last week informing the first batch of owners of the change, requiring them to re-register their aircraft and renew that registration every three years. The plan will cost the government roughly 30 million dollars but the cost to owners is the same as it was nearly forty years ago. It's still just five bucks a plane.

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association supports the legislation and spokesman Chris Dancy says the situation is likely not as bad as it sounds. "It's possible there have been some sales where the owner failed to follow through... it's possible that the paperwork got lost but in most cases the aircraft is probably right where the FAA heard it was. They just don't know it for a fact."

:surprised:surprised

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Besides the obvious "stated" safety concerns -terrorism - I believe this is more about taxation and fees... then anything else.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
The federal government cannot successfully keep track of 350,000 odd aircraft, and yet there are those in the country that thinks they can manage the healthcare of 300,000,000 odd people.

Does anyone else see this as rediculous?:huh:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
The federal government cannot successfully keep track of 350,000 odd aircraft, and yet there are those in the country that thinks they can manage the healthcare of 300,000,000 odd people.

First thing I thought of. :drink:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Besides the obvious "stated" safety concerns -terrorism - I believe this is more about taxation and fees... then anything else.
:agree: The last thing this government is worried about is terrorism. And the most likely reason why, is because it isn't cavemen doing it, so whatever happens isn't a surprise.

:agree: Of course it is ridiculous. Just like the healthcare bill, it didn't have **** to do with making healthcare better or more affordable, all it does is add revenue streams to the federal government.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts