Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I got the original radio/cd player with my car when I bought it but was told the cd player didn't work. The unit was replaced by an aftermarket unit and I really want to go back to the factory unit for appearance sake. A couple of questions: 1) My 1994 guages and A/C controls light up orange...does the radio light up orange? It appears just looking at the unit that it would light up green. 2) Is there any way to test the unit with-out putting it in the car? Can I put power to the rear of the unit someway to see if the thing lights up and the cd player would spin a cd? 3) Are there any commom issues with the cd player that I could fix myself by tearing into it (belt, etc)? 4) I'm assuming this is not the Bose unit, although the covers on the speakers in the cargo area say Bose on them. Any help?

Here's a couple of pics of what I have. Thanks for all the help!

Untitled by clemson_tiger29679, on Flickr

Untitled by clemson_tiger29679, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
A couple of questions: 1) My 1994 guages and A/C controls light up orange...does the radio light up orange? It appears just looking at the unit that it would light up green.
Yes - the original factory radio lights up orange.

clemsontiger said:
Here's a couple of pics of what I have. Thanks for all the help!

What you've pictured isn't the original radio for a C4 - that's a later GM radio.

The C4 radios were like this one ...

I think your first step might be to go back to the seller and ask some questions about that 'original' radio.

Since your speakers are adorned with the Bose emblems, you probably have a car that was originally equipped with the Bose system, so you'll need either an original Delco/Bose radio or an adapter to run a non-Bose.

There are lots of other folks that have made the decision to run 'other than stock' systems with good results. The Bose system does not have a good reputation for sound quality or reliability.

Steven

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. I too noticed over the weekend that I actually have the wrong radio, which makes sense as to why it looked like it would light green instead of orange.

Ok, next question is, did the radio I need (pictured above) come in any other GM product? I'm assuming that if its a Corvette only thing it will be super hard to find but if other cars came with it I might be ok. Oh, also, I'm positive my car came with the Bose system now...when the guy put the radio in the car he replaced four speakers, all of which I got with the car. I looked yesterday and they are in fact Bose speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts