Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar told Congress that oil production in the Gulf of Mexico "remained at an all-time high, and we expect that it will continue as we bring new production online." He claimed: "In 2009 there were 116 rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, in 2010 in February, 120, in February 2011, 126."

But Salazar's numbers distort the true number of working rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. According to Baker Hughes:

* Four days before the Deepwater Horizon accident there were 55 rotary rigs actually drilling offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.

* On May 28, 2010, when the administration announced the six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling, there were 46 rotary rigs operating in the Gulf.

* Last week, 25 rotary rigs were operating in the Gulf of Mexico.

So the fact that there is an "all-time high" number of rigs in the Gulf ignores the fact that most of those rigs are not working. Claiming an increase in idle rigs in the Gulf as a success story is like claiming the job market is great because a lot of people are unemployed and available to work.

In the same hearing, the Secretary also claimed that "the production has remained at an all-time high" within the Gulf of Mexico and there is no way to actually make this true. The Energy Department's Energy Information Administration reports that production in the Gulf of Mexico is in decline, forecasting a decline of 250,000 barrels a day from Gulf production, due partly to the moratorium and restricted permitting. While the annual production figure for 2010 was greater than 2009, EIA's month-by-month production figures show a peak in May of 2010, and a relatively steady decline since. And EIA Petroleum Engineer Gary Long told trade publication E&E News that the rig count in the Gulf was cut in half after the Deepwater Horizon accident and that it wouldn't rebound to previous levels until the end of 2011 under the assumption that the permitting process is restored to historical rates. Further, since there is a lag time from the time an exploration permit is approved to the time of actual production, and since no only a handful of permits for new wells have been granted since April of 2010, it is likely that Gulf of Mexico production will continue to be hit hard in 2012 and beyond.

We appreciate that, when it comes to selling the administration's energy policy, Secretary Salazar is in a tough position. Fortunately we are here to help, help provide the abundant and affordable energy that our economy needs, and help create the jobs our workers want. As API President Jack Gerard said recently:

"Our industry remains committed to working with government to meet our current and future challenges, but we need Congress and the administration on board. Let's stop talking and let's get back to work."

http:energytomorrow.org/2011/03/facts-dont-support-claims-on-gulf-of-mexico-oil-production.html

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Whew, good read but I have a little first hand experience on some of the rigs. I own a 41' sailboat and have sailed the Gulf Coast several times. It is nearly impossible to enjoy sailing within 60-80 miles of land because of the sheer number of oil rigs. Radar is a necessity. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of rigs producing in the Gulf. Some are unmanned (toadstools) others are fully manned and some are no longer producing and are not lit up at night. Imagine ramming a 15 ton sailboat into a dead rig at 7 knots.

It is probable that if you were 40 miles offshore you could see several rigs from any given spot. You couldn't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting at least one oil platform. I think a lot of these "news" alerts just tackle the one point that they want to make and it can be made to suit anyone's point of view.

An example would be that 80% of American's drink. 50% of all accidents involve drunken drivers. The other 50% of the accidents are caused by the 20% that don't drink. We drinkers have a much better record. (That logic works as long as you don't tell it to a judge at your DUI trial).

See.....that logic suits my reasoning but it is flawed. Just as flawed as using one particular type of rig to establish the "facts" regarding oil production.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"So the fact that there is an "all-time high" number of rigs in the Gulf ignores the fact that most of those rigs are not working. Claiming an increase in idle rigs in the Gulf as a success story is like claiming the job market is great because a lot of people are unemployed and available to work."

I believe you had claimed the same.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I never said that these rigs are idled, in fact, quite the opposite is true. You're whole statement is based on a broken premise. The moratorium only affected new drilling and not the thousands of producing wells. Yes. it's true that most of the wells in the Gulf are not producing nor have they for decades. Our news media uses that number to inflate the reality.

I think that the moratorium affects like 1% of the wells that are currently producing. Fewer than 30 wells out of the 3500 producing wells are affected. It's all being blown out of proportion. There are thousands of wells that no longer produce and they have not been capped, closed or whatever you wish to call it. All of these didn't close on Obama's watch. It's been an ongoing problem since before I started sailing there in the 1970's.

I think some people would easily be led to believe that Obama started the Revolutionary war. If you're going to blame someone go back to the 1950's, 60's and 70's. These Presidents didn't make the demonic oil companies cap their unused wells and it's only a matter of time before one of them ****'s the bed.

You need to turn off some of the psycho-radical folk on the radio and make your own opines based on facts and not conjecture.;) IMHO

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First and foremost... that was not in opposition to what you were stating. It was a clarification to the point you minimized.

Secondly... was that article from one of those "psycho-radical folk" on the radio ? I do believe I receive my information from the same places you do. News and print... unless you happen to be clairvoyant to news events and all aspects of those events. If so... I will take a back seat to your clairvoyant intellect and post what you state, instead.

IMHO... of course. ;)

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I never said that these rigs are idled, in fact, quite the opposite is true. You're whole statement is based on a broken premise. The moratorium only affected new drilling and not the thousands of producing wells. Yes. it's true that most of the wells in the Gulf are not producing nor have they for decades. Our news media uses that number to inflate the reality.

I think that the moratorium affects like 1% of the wells that are currently producing. Fewer than 30 wells out of the 3500 producing wells are affected. It's all being blown out of proportion. There are thousands of wells that no longer produce and they have not been capped, closed or whatever you wish to call it. All of these didn't close on Obama's watch. It's been an ongoing problem since before I started sailing there in the 1970's.

I think some people would easily be led to believe that Obama started the Revolutionary war. If you're going to blame someone go back to the 1950's, 60's and 70's. These Presidents didn't make the demonic oil companies cap their unused wells and it's only a matter of time before one of them ****'s the bed.

You need to turn off some of the psycho-radical folk on the radio and make your own opines based on facts and not conjecture.;) IMHO

:partyon:

FTW!

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I will take a back seat to your clairvoyant intellect and post what you state, instead.
There you go....now you get it. When a person calls my phone they get a message that says, "Hello, you've reached Bill, the worlds greatest clairvoyant. Since I already know who you are and what you want, please hang up at the beep."

You'd be surprised how many people just go..........."uh, OK" and then they hang up totally confused. I like it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice... :laughing:

But... would not your clairvoyance eliminate the need for the answering machine, all together ? :cheers:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
All of this nit picking misses the point. Yes, the reports of fewer working rigs relates to new wells and future production. I thought the goal was to be less dependent on oil produced in countries that might not have our best interests at heart. If so, we need to be drilling. Obama is clearly affecting that process negatively, and his spin technicians are trying to gloss that over with misleading statements.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
If so, we need to be drilling. Obama is clearly affecting that process negatively, and his spin technicians are trying to gloss that over with misleading statements.
Then we should blame every President since Jimmy Carter for our oil woes, not just Obama. The Department on Energy was established in 1977 to address the problem of dependence on foreign oil and an alternative energy strategy. Where is the outrage at Carter, Reagan, a couple of Bushes a Clinton and the dreaded Obama. There have been 3 blue and 3 red presidents since that time. The DOE has grown to 15,000 employees and a multi-bunch-of-billions budget. Where are our tax dollars being used. I think it's counter productive and shallow to put the blame on one man when so many are to blame.

A ski resort in Dubai in the desert........Gimme a break. There's our problem.

I wasn't nit picking, I was merely stating my observations as I happily sailed around the Gulf thinking about my next glass of rum.:D

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brother... can you please point out any other administration that has placed an embargo upon our ability to drill for energy... other then Carter ?

If wish to state that they have not done enough... I'll agree. But, you would also have to state the reason for not doing enough and which ideology has been on the forefront of them not doing enough. -Which happens to be the same ideology that the current administration holds... coincidentally.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I wasn't nit picking, I was merely stating my observations as I happily sailed around the Gulf thinking about my next glass of rum.:D
OK, it's hard to make enemies with me. But throwing sailing and rum drinking in my face before I have to go back to work on a Monday is just plain mean. :laughing: Enjoy yourself! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
If wish to state that they have not done enough... I'll agree. But, you would also have to state the reason for not doing enough and which ideology has been on the forefront of them not doing enough. -Which happens to be the same ideology that the current administration holds... coincidentally.
If you're not a politician you've missed your calling. I know they are all words but I don't think I'm smart enough to decipher how they go together.............and I used to decipher for an agency back East that did that for a living.;) I'll have to concede to your bullheadedness and wonder how you survive in this screwed up ole' world.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do believe I could relay the very same observation to your insight and espousal's. I also believe to it be a good thing.

:cheers:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Then we should blame every President since Jimmy Carter for our oil woes, not just Obama. The Department on Energy was established in 1977 to address the problem of dependence on foreign oil and an alternative energy strategy. Where is the outrage at Carter, Reagan, a couple of Bushes a Clinton and the dreaded Obama. There have been 3 blue and 3 red presidents since that time. The DOE has grown to 15,000 employees and a multi-bunch-of-billions budget. Where are our tax dollars being used. I think it's counter productive and shallow to put the blame on one man when so many are to blame.

A ski resort in Dubai in the desert........Gimme a break. There's our problem.

Well stated.. this is where the neocons and roadkill lose grasp of the situation. :cheers:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fine... I'll pose the same question and statement, to you. -and I'll break it up for easier deciphering.

Brother... can you please point out any other administration that has placed an embargo upon our ability to drill for energy... other then Carter ?

If you wish to state that they have not done enough... I'll agree. (as in expansion of our energy needs... Reagen. Clinton, Bush, Bush2)

But, you would also have to state the reason for not doing enough and which ideology has been on the forefront of them not doing enough. (as in the political ideologies that have blocked them from expanding on our energy needs)

-Which happens to be the same ideology that the current administration holds... coincidentally.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Fine... I'll pose the same question and statement, to you. -and I'll break it up for easier deciphering.
All of them, since Carter. Had any of them, increased our ability to produce and refine oil, to the same rate as the increased demand, we would not be where we are today. Sure, there has been an increase over the last 3 decades.. but nothing compared to the increased demand.

Obama stated before the election, that his energy plan was to "necessarily force energy prices to skyrocket" in order to push his unicorn juice alternatives. He was honest about his plan. He was the only one who has been honest about it. :huh:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Another thing worth noting here,

Drilling rigs and extraction rigs are two different things, these days.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
All of them, since Carter. Had any of them, increased our ability to produce and refine oil, to the same rate as the increased demand, we would not be where we are today. Sure, there has been an increase over the last 3 decades.. but nothing compared to the increased demand.
Doubt it..

They'd still be selling their increased product to china.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts