Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a local Chevy dealer today to get my first oil change. Yes the tech failed to drain the oil sump and poured eight qts. into the engine and started it. The smoke filled the entire service area. Service manager stated that there would be no engine damage. Any thoughts about what might happen down the road. Needless to say I will truck my three week old down where I purchased it to find out the extent of damages to the engine.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
i doubt any harm done,if ya drove it you may blow a seal but they caught it in the shop.hey gives new meaning to fill it with oil

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've heard so many horror stories about lube techs... a friend of mine was given the car back after an oil change... but without the oil :surprised: Sorry to hear about your new car :lookinup: after dropping 80k on a car I would be livid if some lube tech even looked cock-eyed at my Z. hopefully everything works out for ya. At the very least, its a learning experience... NO LUBE TECHS!! :down:

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
To get all of the crap from manufacturing/ break in out of the engine.

·
DC Crew
5,554 Posts
My autos teacher has a funny oil related story. Guy came into his shop and said his car was outside on a flatbed but wouldn't start. He asked him what was wrong and he said he did an oil change in his garage but he didn't think that would cause anything. Asks the guy how many quarts he put in and it was like 26. Guy had filled the entire crankcase and gallies with oil :laughing:

·
Registered
265 Posts
To get all of the crap from manufacturing/ break in out of the engine.

:agree: And there is plenty of it. When I changed, both magnets had 1/4 inch of fuzzy ferrous powder around them and the drain pan looked like like I was panning for silver when I emptied it. If you depend on the filter to catch all the initial run-in particles, you may be disappointed. After the first change you can relax.

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
Smoke?????

Went to a local Chevy dealer today to get my first oil change. Yes the tech failed to drain the oil sump and poured eight qts. into the engine and started it. The smoke filled the entire service area. Service manager stated that there would be no engine damage. Any thoughts about what might happen down the road. Needless to say I will truck my three week old down where I purchased it to find out the extent of damages to the engine.
"smoke filled the entire service area":WTF
Something does not sound right:huh:

Is it this story???:crazy:

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
No particles at 1000 miles

:agree: And there is plenty of it. When I changed, both magnets had 1/4 inch of fuzzy ferrous powder around them and the drain pan looked like like I was panning for silver when I emptied it. If you depend on the filter to catch all the initial run-in particles, you may be disappointed. After the first change you can relax.
Just changed the oil on my 3rd C6Z at 1,000 miles after easy break in;)

Found no particles anywhere:cheers: Even the oil still had a perfect golden color:buhbye:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes ENTIRE SERVICE AREA...............

Did you happen to read the post of the person who was there also getting hisoil changed...........Like I said send me your email and I will send you photos of the SERVICE AREA FILLED WITH S....M..........O.........K.....E

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
True-true!!!!

Did you happen to read the post of the person who was there also getting hisoil changed...........Like I said send me your email and I will send you photos of the SERVICE AREA FILLED WITH S....M..........O.........K.....E
Sorry:huh: Yes I see what you mean now:down:

This is a really bad mistake by the dealership's service dept!!!

I hate to say this..but dont let them bullshit you!!

Get in contact with Barry Dennis (BEARMAN) at PBC.

He will tell you the truth about any possible damage to the seal's, etc.

GOOD LUCK..Keep us posted:cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update with three week old z

picked up the car last night friday checked under the hood, they cleaned up the motor compartment but oil stains remain on both manifolds. They changed cats, o2 sensors and plugs, When we walked in the service manager said NO CHARGE. Really after trashing a three week old vehicle did he really need to say no charge.
They hesitated last saturday to give us a loaner to get home. The service manager stated that we would be able to drive our vehicle home. wrong again..........we spent sixty five dollars on a cab....service manager said he would pay for it but had no cash..............save the receipt he said.

Moral of the story ..........if they do not sell the vehicle they should not be allowed to work on same.
WHAT A NIGHTMARE THIS HAS BEEN.............I HOPE YOU ALL LEARN FROM OUR NIGHTMARE WITH MR. GOODWRENCH.

PS....when we picked up the vehicle the service manager asked how much gas we had in it..........the low fuel indicator was on............I guess thay had no money for gas either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
be careful of changing oil too soon, especially with the synthetics that are in our zo6's- too soon and you run the risk of parts not seating properly.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I changed oil at 1500 miles on my Z. Oil came out very clean. Also, I inverted the oil filter to check for debris, as in metal shavings, and found none even after running a magnetic rod in it. Another option for car owners is to have an oil sample sent off for analysis. I used to do that after an engine rebuild just to see what was wearing. Its amazing what they can tell you from the oil analysis.

Overfilling an engine causes the oil to be beat by the crank and rods in the lower assembly. In the case of a dry sump system like the Z's, its obvious the oil reservoir won't hold too much more than 8 quarts but I can't see how having maybe 4 more quarts resting in the bottom of the engine pan could make the crank foam up the oil that quickly, unless they ran it for 20 or 30 minutes. Obviously it did or there wouldn't have been smoke. Greatest damage is likely the action on the cam lobes due to the pressure area. Second would be the rod bearings, with the main bearings being the least affected if the vehicle was at rest or just idling. If there was damage, it will surface in the next 500 miles. The good thing is that synthetic oil leaves a good coating on metal parts like the bearings and cam lobes. The other good thing is the car has a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

The bad thing is the car is brand new and very special to its owner. Its kind of like having your new car get slammed by a car door in a parking lot. That first scratch is like a sword going thru your heart. That dealer doesn't sound like they cater to Vette owners very well, and likely don't really give a crap about your car being a Z. Find another dealer or do the minor stuff like oil changes yourself. Also, if you use a trusted auto service shop for your other cars, why not trust them for the non-warranty work on your car ? You are more likely to be dealing with the owner of the shop or another family member, and they rely on repeat business and long term relationships. The dealer doesn't, regardless of what they say.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having owned my z for a year and just changing the oil let me say.....try this

After your Z sits overnight go check the oil ...before ever starting. There is nothing on the stick and nothing that you can see in the reserviour..NOTHING.

Hell I changed my own oil and started to second guess myself the next day and looking under the car for a couple of qts of oil.

If you did not know better you would be scared to start her. But after you start it..warm it up..shut doiwn and wait 10 min the oil level is sat.

I don't know where the oil goes BUT somewhere in the system several qts (or more!) of oil can hide and after you start her up I am sure they will rear their ugly head! I suspect some will travel down those two lines on the top of the oil reserviour DIRECTLY into the intake

You have got to second guess allowing the youngerster's at the GM quick lube (at least that is what is at my GM dealer)perform any maintenance on this car. I recieved a free oil change for my vet from GM (because I had a torn CV joint boot the GM sent me a free oil change letter for my troubles) and I wont use it

·
Registered
121 Posts
i hate dealers and quick change places, a lot of quick changes use half new and half used oil :nuts:

i refuse to go to a kid of 17 to get my oil changed aswell.... that may sound hypocrytical seeing as im a mere 19 but i used to make a decent amount of money tuning cars back in high school and as recently as this past winter i worked at a speed shop building engines and working on cars with up to 3 times or more the power of a stock c6 z.... duno how many quick change guys can say that, guess i'll just stick to laying on the ground, rain or shine, snow or ice.... doesn't matter to me, even though i may not have a z or a vette at all, my car is still my baby and it deserves the best, not used oil that was in a honda with fart can and bad rings :smack

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
be careful of changing oil too soon, especially with the synthetics that are in our zo6's- too soon and you run the risk of parts not seating properly.
What's the theory behind that statement?

If the owner replaces the factory fill with the same brand/weight/grade, then how would that have an effect on proper engine break-in (I'm assuming that's what you meant by this)?

Thanks,
Steven

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
No Theory Here

What's the theory behind that statement?

If the owner replaces the factory fill with the same brand/weight/grade, then how would that have an effect on proper engine break-in (I'm assuming that's what you meant by this)?

Thanks,
Steven
:agree: Just an opinion:lookinup:

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
Wow!!! 1500 Hp Cars

i hate dealers and quick change places, a lot of quick changes use half new and half used oil :nuts:

i refuse to go to a kid of 17 to get my oil changed aswell.... that may sound hypocrytical seeing as im a mere 19 but i used to make a decent amount of money tuning cars back in high school and as recently as this past winter i worked at a speed shop building engines and working on cars with up to 3 times or more the power of a stock c6 z.... duno how many quick change guys can say that, guess i'll just stick to laying on the ground, rain or shine, snow or ice.... doesn't matter to me, even though i may not have a z or a vette at all, my car is still my baby and it deserves the best, not used oil that was in a honda with fart can and bad rings :smack
What did the shop work on:surprised NHRA Dragsters:laughing:

As far as used oil goes:down: I bring my own oil to my GM friend, he is the service manager, I let them supply the filter so it will be under warranty, AND!! I stay with the car the entire time:thumbsup: They even torque the filter, and drain plugs to the proper specs.:cheers: That is the way to change the oil at a GM facility:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts