Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly high HP 383 in my 77 so I'm going to generate a little more heat than normal anyway but my question is---I have an aluminum radiator with dual 11" spal fans. The fans are mounted at the top of the radiator and the whole bottom half of the radiator is covered by the aluminum shroud with just slits like in an air conditioning duct in a house. Is this restricting the air flow through the radiator? I'm wondering if it would cool better if I cut off the bottom half of the shroud and opened it up so the air could flow through better plus have the fans at the top. Granted it is 100 degrees + in North Tx. right now, but it's running at about 210-220 all the time and even hotter in traffic. I've tried Water Wetter and something called Ice water to no avail. :huh: Art

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the best one I've got. I'm afraid it only shows the top of the rad.[IMG
[/url][/IMG] I just uploaded another that shows the fan shroud when I first put it in the car. It had the fans on the bottom and the slots on the top. I turned it over before I got it running.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You have to make sure that the fans are not pulling air from behind the radiator, through the slits or openings. This bypasses the radiator entirely and drastically reduces airflow through the core. I have seen additional cooling holes for passive airflow covered with a "flapper" valve. That way you get airflow through at speed and they are closed at low speeds with the fans on.

Also, the side by side fan setup does not work as well as a staggered setup. You want all the cores (from top to bottom) of the radiator to have airflow over them.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I my pictures there is a thumbnail of the latest uploaded pic of the shroud. The image is still pending approval. Maybe I need to get rid of this shroud and make one that staggers the fans and has no openings other than for the fans?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Art, you fans there don't look like the ones I put on last spring....I got mine from Tom DeWitt with shrouds having rubber flappers on them....

I did make my own mounts putting the fans directly in center vertically, with aluminum house/roof flashing bent to position to seal against the radiator about perfectly....it's about 100% sealed to rad core all around on the fan side......

see my pix here and on my site....

the rubber flaps open up at speed to allow for better air flow....then fans are on in traffic, the flaps are sucked closed, and the fans pull air like crazy....

Here in Florida, it's 100-105f recently every damn day....car is fine...

from what you say, something is amiss, as noted above posts and it's any mesh area to any shrouds behind the rad....fans will not pull worth crap then....

I wonder if you need a more modern set of shrouds for the fans, and then redo the install....

my rad is a thin single 1.25 inch row of aluminum/plastic tanks from a '89 Camaro core size is same as stock for my '72 L48 car.....so it slipped in there just fine.....:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered the dual 11" fans from DeWitts. I'll modify my existing shroud to mount them so it completely covers the radiator, that should do the trick. I'm about done mounting the trans cooler under the ass of the car. One more hose and one more wire and then I can test it. Should work fine, it's a 1 1/2" x10"x21" cooler w/a 1250 CFM fan. It's set to turn on at 185 and off at 170. The one in front of the rad ought to take care of it till I get in traffic.:cheers: Art

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Just ordered the dual 11" fans from DeWitts. I'll modify my existing shroud to mount them so it completely covers the radiator, that should do the trick. I'm about done mounting the trans cooler under the ass of the car. One more hose and one more wire and then I can test it. Should work fine, it's a 1 1/2" x10"x21" cooler w/a 1250 CFM fan. It's set to turn on at 185 and off at 170. The one in front of the rad ought to take care of it till I get in traffic.:cheers: Art
Jeesus man, what you do, hijack a radiator off a bike or small CAR for that???

I been thinking of doing something like that....not sure how, though...can you pix that so for seeing how you mounted it???

I also wanna get about 5-10 gallons extra gas under there since I no longer carry a spare....12 lbs/**** in a 2 lbs bag....

:rolling: :crazy: :surprised

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ordered it from Jegs. It was about $200.00--tax, title and license. I've got it mounted where the spare bucket used to be with a couple pieces of 1 1/4" aluminum angle. I'll post pics tomorrow. I'm running from the trans to the cooler in front of the rad. From there to the one in the rear, and then back to the trans. The one in the rear has the fan thermostatically controlled by a switch in the inlet fitting. Hopefully after the DeWitts fans install and completing the rear cooler, my temp problems will be a thing of the past!:thumbsup:Art

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Yeh, I think I seen pix of what you bought.....

methinks I need get inventive....I have a small fan from the front side of an '87 vette radiator....so....hummmm.....:crazy: :crazy: :lookinup: :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeesus man, what you do, hijack a radiator off a bike or small CAR for that???

I been thinking of doing something like that....not sure how, though...can you pix that so for seeing how you mounted it???

I also wanna get about 5-10 gallons extra gas under there since I no longer carry a spare....12 lbs/**** in a 2 lbs bag....

:rolling: :crazy: :surprised
I uploaded two pics of the cooler installation in my photos this morning. They are still waiting approval. The pics aren't the best, but it's hard to get a shot of the underside of the car without a lift.:cheers: Art

1 - 11 of 11 Posts