Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An FDA advisory committee is holding a two-day hearing to re-review the scientific basis for the FDA’s conclusion that mercury in amalgam dental fillings is not harmful to patients.

The committee initiated the hearings less than 18 months after the federal agency made the decision. Committee members are examining challenges from four consumer and dental groups that say the FDA used flawed science when it set the guidelines for mercury safety levels. Although the FDA noted there will be no vote on this, they may recommend to reverse the decision and send it to the main FDA board for review.

Amalgam tooth fillings are an alloy of 50 percent mercury, 35 percent silver, 13 percent tin, 2 percent copper, and a bit of zinc. Mercury toxicity was known in the 19th century, but amalgam's cheapness, ease of placement, and durability kept it popular. Dentists argue that mercury fillings last longer than resin composites, and are easier on the tooth. But scientists say mercury is a poison that penetrates into the body and many argue, damages human cells, especially in the brain, bones and kidneys. How much damage is still unknown, which is why the advisory committee is re-visiting the issue.

In their final rule in 2009, the FDA concluded clinical studies have not established a causal link between dental amalgam and adverse health effects in adults and children age six and older. But it did add that developing fetuses and young children may be more sensitive to the neurotoxic effects of mercury vapor.

Today, numerous professional and scientific groups testified in front of the committee, sighting the dangers of amalgam fillings. Studies and testimony presented showed a vast array of connections between mercury in fillings to such conditions as autism to bowel problems.

Dr. Anne Summers, a microbiologist at the University of Georgia who works with mercury, testified that in animal studies, those subjects with more amalgam fillings had higher levels of mercury in their bowels and feces and were found to have more mercury throughout their bodies, than if they had eaten mercury-rich fish every day.

“And they weren’t eating fish,” Summers exclaimed. “They were eating (animal} chow.”

Her studies also looked at the effects of mercury in the body on the gastrointestinal system. Summers noted, “90% of the mercury in the body goes through the lower G-I tract. The gut is very volatile.”

Dr. Mark Geier, President of Genetics Center of America, and founder of ASD centers, published a 2009 study in the journal of the Acta Neurobiologiae Experimentalis ,that looked at the effects of mercury in amalgam fillings on children with autism.

In his testimony to the committee, Geier, an epidemiologist and autism researcher said, “When we examined children with mothers who had zero to six fillings, we saw no significant effect. But when mothers had over six fillings, we found their children had a higher severity of autism, than children whose mothers had fewer fillings.”

Geier continued, “Although we don’t know why the number of fillings made a difference, you have to think of the mercury issue.”

In afternoon public testimony, many people told stories of possible toxic effects on their bodies from amalgam fillings.

Although stories and symptoms differed, all of those who testified asked one thing: Let the public know of the possible dangers in these mercury fillings. In written testimony, Dorice Maderonero, a consultant from the Hudson Valley area of New York, claimed that as a young, expectant mother, she miscarried twice following dental work.

“I know that in my visits to any physician or dentist I was never asked whether I was allergic to mercury.” said Madronero, “And I did not drink coffee, never smoked in my life and didn’t even have a sip of New Years Eve champagne"

Madronero also wrote. “There is very limited to no clinical information available regarding long-term health outcomes in pregnant women and their developing fetuses, including infants who are breastfeeding.” Madronero asked, “Can you really say you (FDA) don’t know and then conclude safety?”

James Turner an attorney representing a group known as “Citizens for Health” addressed the committee, and asked the FDA to update its website on amalgam fillings, particularly on the possible dangers to patients. “There is plenty of new data showing the effects of mercury in these fillings. We need to ask for safety," said Turner.

But Dr. William Spruill, a dentist from Carlisle, Pennsylvania and President of the Pennsylvania Dental Association, with 5,000 members, believes there's nothing to worry about when it comes to amalgam fillings.

"I've been practicing dentistry for 34 years. I have these fillings, my wife has these fillings." said Spruill. "Based on the research, I am comfortable with my dental work and I would give my kids these fillings, but they don't have cavities."

According to the American Dental Association, "Dental amalgam is considered a safe, affordable and durable material that has been used to restore the teeth of more than 100 million Americans. It contains a mixture of metals such as silver, copper and tin, in addition to mercury, which binds these components into a hard, stable and safe substance. Dental amalgam has been studied and reviewed extensively, and has established a record of safety and effectiveness."

The advisory committee will continue tomorrow. Should the committee decide to make recommendations it will send them to the FDA for consideration. Although the FDA does not have to act on the recommendations, it traditionally follows the guidance of the advisory committees

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/14/fda-revisits-the-dangers-of-mercury-fillings/

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
The issue to be realized is that 1 in 56 boys, 1 in 92 children are being born with a genetic frailty (SP) where they have an inability to detoxify their bodies properly until about the age of 3 years old.

I am of the belief that vacinations between the ages of zero to 3 years are not good for these kids who have this genetic fraility and that normally during the 50's, 60's ,70's and 1980's when we vacinated children at the ages of 4 and 5 years old their detoxification capability had matured to be able to process the vacines..

That is why in the before the vacination protocol shifted in 1990 to zero to 36 months....there was an autism rate of one in 10,000.

Since the shift to vacinate our children in the zero to 36 month age range...Autism is running at the rates mentioned above...One in 56 boys...(boys having a greater prevalance (SP) to an immature detoxification system that by the age of three would be fully matured)

The filling in the teeth? Look I have a 15 year old child with autism and I would only use special filling material devoid of silver and mercury..

I always say it takes about 10 seconds to blow up a building and 20years to rebuild it and its the same with a child with autism whose biochemical balance has been destroyed due to their initial inability to detoxify their bodies.

I believe in vacines ...just not in the first 36 months of life.

I believe that not using silver fillings can't hurt so thats what I do.

I believe in glutathione infusions, megavitamins, b12 shots, the casien, gluten, corn free, low solycite (SP) diet, the yeast connection, and obviously speech, occupational, and physical therapies.

My son also is very involved with everything I can think of. A Special school since 3 years old, Special needs horse back riding, special needs dance classes, Special needs basketball, special needs Yoga, Special needs art classes and as much time with dad cruising the vette to as many places as I can do..

Thanks for the heads up article on autism.

Its one of the most difficult endeavors of life....

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not knowing for sure... must be heart wrenching. Not only for your own offspring... but also for the future children to be born with this affliction. The numbers are so staggering and undeniable, that you would think it would be of the first on the list for importance to those claiming need of protection and cure. Instead... second hand smoke and AIDS -are given far more moral importance to society.

All the best to you and yours, brother... and God Bless.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
thanks for the well wishes and I feel for the parents of those children yet to be born who are afflicted with this chronic illness that the insurance companies don't want to cover.

If I were to suggest to anyone considering having a child I would suggest vacinating the children after the age of three and then spread out the vacines as far apart as possible.

The vacination protocol for the children in america is a huge profit center for the drug companies so it is unlikely the "indpendent" studies will ever show a link...(considering the drug companies pay for the studies..)

The fillings its a minor contributor if anything but since these kids have an inability to properly detoxify why add to it in any sense of the word.

I always a day above ground is a good day! and thats really the tough part...what will happen to our children afflicted with autism after we as parents pass on..

Thats probably one of the toughest parts...

But till then....my son and I are enjoying the ride...and the time spent together vetting is all a bonus!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Literally thousands of studies have been done in the last 60 years trying to find a clinical connection between amalgam and any wide spread disease. None has been found, but that won't keep the anti amalgam crowd from keeping at it. Time is eliminating amalgam anyway. When I started
practicing, I probably placed 10 or more amalgam fillings every day. Now I place maybe 1 a month. Composite is as good or superior except in the rare occasion when you can't isolate the tooth from moisture while placing the filling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts