Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
US Approaching Insolvency, Fix To Be 'Painful': Fisher

The United States is on a fiscal path towards insolvency and policymakers are at a "tipping point," a Federal Reserve official said on Tuesday.

"If we continue down on the path on which the fiscal authorities put us, we will become insolvent, the question is when," Dallas Federal Reserve Bank President Richard Fisher said in a question and answer session after delivering a speech at the University of Frankfurt.

"The short-term negotiations are very important, I look at this as a tipping point."

But he added he was confident in the Americans' ability to take the right decisions and said the country would avoid insolvency.

"I think we are at the beginning of the process and it's going to be very painful," he added.

Fisher earlier said the US economic recovery is gathering momentum, adding that he personally was extremely vigilant on inflation pressures.

Fisher added that the U.S. Federal Reserve had ways to tighten its monetary policy other than interest rates, including by selling treasuries, changing reserves levels and using time deposits.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42209447

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Personal friend's roommate that attends Wake Forest Divinity School said:
When I began hearing about the proposition of our new federal budget, I couldn't help but think of this dream. As I continued to sort out what would be cut and what would be expanded, I thought, "Did we mix up the order?" For example, $450 million will be cut from the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis. As a result, 3.7 million people will not be tested for HIV. 58,286 women living with HIV will not receive treatments that prevent transmission of HIV to their children. 372,000 treatments and tests for tuberculosis will not be administered. 6 million treatments and 10.4 million bed nets to prevent malaria will not be distributed.
Or consider the $687 million would be cut from USAIDS Food for Peace program. Or that $1.1 billion will be cut from the Head Start program for early childhood education. Or $69 million cut from the Peace Corps.
It's easy to get lost in the numbers but let me share one more. The new federal budget proposal strips the entire budget of U.S. Institute of Peace, a mere $32 million, while it increases spending on defense to $533 billion, a 2% increase from the previous budget. We will spend more on war than almost sixty percent of the world. There is no clearer indication of the values of this country than the dichotomy between these two programs.
We live in a country that is willing to spend half a trillion dollars on war, but refuses to spend thirty million on peace. We are literally turning the farming and peacemaking equipment back into weapons of war.
When I ask if we mixed up the order, I am in no way suggesting that the people responsible for this budget should be conscience of the prophet Isaiah, or the dreams of our faith, or that they should vote as 'good Christian conscience' dictates. After all, that may be one of the other disturbing undercurrents of our military spending - that we justify the actions of our government in the name of God, that our churches complacently idle by as the budgets pass, and that even the guns we use in war have Bible verses printed on them.
But I am asking if we, as Jesus followers, have gotten the order mixed up. Because it is the job of politicians to remain loyal to those who keep them elected. But it is our job as Christians to remain loyal to the God of peace. It is our job to raise a cry when the country we live in is ignoring the dream of peace. It is our witness to the life of Jesus to commit to the poor, the oppressed, and those on the very margins of our society - the ones to whom Jesus said the Commonwealth of God would belong.
We are the prophets and the dreamers of peace. If nothing else, living in a democratic society means that politicians should hear us as we speak and as we dream.
For though our faith dreams of pacifism, it does not call us to passivity. It is not outside of our faith to ask of the budget, and the politicians who wrote it, "What would Jesus cut?" I know that Jesus was not a politician, or aligned with a certain political party. But I also know that when Jesus held up that denarius and said, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's," he called into question all that we give to Caesar, and all that Caesar is doing with it. I know that behind this ancient wisdom from Jesus, the prophets, and the visionaries of our faith are some of the deepest truths we could ever grapple with. I doubt they could ever conceive of giant bombs capable of leveling entire cities. But they understood that weapons are a sunk cost; when we make bombs, they are made for one purpose only: to kill. But when we invest in education, peacemaking, care for the sick, food for the hungry, then who knows what life can come? Who knows what a child given life-saving medications, proper nutrition, and the power of an education will accomplish? Who knows how much better our world could look then? We will never know if we keep allowing budgets like this to pass.
Funny how the people who call for war *cough*VFP*cough* are also the Bible thumpers on these boards.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
You say that as though that's a bad thing.

...where do I thump the bible ? To those wishing to deny belief in anything other then ones held by you... ANY mention of God is considered bible thumping.

The Church and the Global HIV/AIDS Pandemic

In response to the global HIV/AIDS pandemic, The United Methodist Church will work cooperatively with colleague churches in every region. The Bible is replete with calls to nations, religious leaders, and faithful people to address the needs of those who are suffering, ill, and in distress. Jesus Christ reached out and healed those who came to him, including people who were despised and rejected because of their illnesses and afflictions. His identification with suffering people was made clear when he said that "whatsoever you do to the least of these, you also do to me" (Matthew 25:40, paraphrased). His commandment to "do to others as you would have them do to you" (Matthew 7:12) is a basis for the church for full involvement and compassionate response.
http://archives.umc.org/interior_print.asp?ptid=4&mid=950

What the **** have you ever done for those with HIV or tuberculosis ? -since you are so hip to point at those that have done more then your ideology has, to help... every cause.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
...where do I thump the bible ?
Oh I don't know, how about every single religion/evolution/atheism thread on these boards.

The rest of your post is irrelevant. I'm talking about you and others like you. Not the United Methodist Church. You are the one who brings up God/Christianity/Bible/religion in every thread about evolution/religion/atheism on these boards. You are the one who would give your right nut to increase funding for defense and warmongering while simultaneously give your left nut to decrease an insignificant amount of funding for humanitarian programs and then actually think you still have the balls to bitch and moan about the budget. Anybody who doesn't have his or her head up a political party's ass can see the hypocrisy in 90% if your posts.

I've done plenty of volunteering and fundraising for multiple causes...it's just one of those terrible things that an evil liberal higher education tries to indoctrinate into their zombie students, to help those who aren't as fortunate.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reasons, Christians have been crusading for a very long time. It continues today, and it's shameful.

Now, back to the topic.. :laughing:

Austerity is coming in a big way.. prepare.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Oh I don't know, how about every single religion/evolution/atheism thread on these boards.
That is absolutely incorrect... as I am not a follower of the bible and have stated so on many occasions. That does not mean that I will not defend the God given right to believe in it.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Well, no offense to Tarheel's friend's roomate, but that article is a smelly pile of liberal claptrap. The United States preserves the freedom of the vast majority of the world with it's military. If there is money available to treat Africa's HIV population, that's great. But it's far more important that we keep the despots of the world in place as much as possible. It's difficult to deal with internal despotism with the military, as we have seen. But a strong military keeps despots from imposing their evil on their neighbors as Saddam Hussein found out in Kuwait. Without the threat of force available from the U.S. military, you can bet the world would be a much uglier place. How much is that worth?
As for the poor and sick in Africa, there is nothing keeping this author from raising the money in a charitable organization and dispensing it as he pleases. Instead of going to the hard work of raising that money privately, he would prefer to extract it from taxpayers. Like I said, liberal claptrap.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
For some reasons, Christians have been crusading for a very long time. It continues today, and it's shameful.

Now, back to the topic.. :laughing:

Austerity is coming in a big way.. prepare.
I believe you mean "Christians have been crucified for their beliefs for a very long time. It continues today, and it's shameful."

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe you mean "Christians have been crucified for their beliefs for a very long time. It continues today, and it's shameful."
Seems to me, everytime crucifixion flares up, is when the Christians show up to "heal the souls of the heathens". Something about slaughtering people's women and children, destroying their culture and destroying their livelihood tends to make people a little crazy... I don't believe I know a christian, that practices the teachings of Christ. :huh:

Now, start a new thread for this... :laughing: This one is to highlight the banksters plight to strip us clean and move on..

:cheers:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
How the hell are you going to get your licks in... and then expect the topic to revert to it's original intent ? I was not the one that derailed it... yet you had no whip for the derail-er. Could this be because of the message was simpatico ? ;)

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Actually, no. Jews were crucified. The preactice was all but ended before Christians got enough nose to be punished.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
It's pretty ****ing simple:

If we are 10% over budget, EVERYTHING gets cut 10% as a base point. Then you eliminate or delay programs and foreign aid to 'buy back' money for other things. It's called sacrifice!

Anything else is just political masturbating.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How the hell are you going to get your licks in... and then expect the topic to revert to it's original intent ? I was not the one that derailed it... yet you had no whip for the derail-er. Could this be because of the message was simpatico ? ;)
:laughing: I TOLD YOU to start a damn thread, I will participate.. now let's do this.

:devil:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
See ? -Now I'm not in the mood. What were we talking about again ? :laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Actually, no. Jews were crucified. The preactice was all but ended before Christians got enough nose to be punished.

No, actually-- Everybody was crucified. Not just Jews. :laughing:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Man... you even got that wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts