1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
The mine went under in 1965. 1965! Let me guess. You read "lead contamination" and your knee-jerk reaction-ism, kicked in to high gear due to your flawed though process and ideology... causing you to jump on "yet another" bandwagon of destruction and despise for and against "evil Corporations".

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Yup. Before regulations, look at what the ethical industry did to people... Let's cut them loose.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Who's stating "No regulation" ? Name him...

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Who's stating "No regulation" ? Name him...
Newt Gingrich, for one. Many Tea Party & their cronies, and several southern politicians.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
No... incorrect. Neither, none -has stated we wish zero regulation. This is a leftism. A lie, built upon a lie, built upon a falsity... told repeatedly until it is a leftism.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
The standard secular progressive disclaimer: We make things up as we go along.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
The standard secular progressive disclaimer: We make things up as we go along.
:laughing:
You'd think that with all that practice they'd get better at it...
:thumbsup:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Show me...

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Newt just called for the EPA to be eliminated 'and the regulations along with it.'

Great idea...that one idea would close the deficit in about 2 years.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Newt just called for the EPA to be eliminated 'and the regulations along with it.'

You conveniently left out, "to be replaced with....."

You originally said he wanted to do away with all regulations leaving the impression he wants a free for all which is factually inaccurate on your part.......again.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts

Bullshit.. at least post the rest of what was said.. :laughing:

And the EPA should be eliminated.. along with the DHS,HHS,Education Department, etc, etc. The federal government was never granted those powers, they usurped them. They don't even do what they have the power to do, so the federal experiment is a complete failure.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Bullshit.. at least post the rest of what was said.. :laughing:

And the EPA should be eliminated.. along with the DHS,HHS,Education Department, etc, etc. The federal government was never granted those powers, they usurped them. They don't even do what they have the power to do, so the federal experiment is a complete failure.
:agree:
Thier most recent epiphany's?

1: Declaring CO2 a pollutant.
2: Declaring incandescant light bulbs hazardous.

While they're 'busy' protecting us, who's protecting us from them?

Make Obama Watch Ghostbusters.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The mine went under in 1965. 1965! Let me guess. You read "lead contamination" and your knee-jerk reaction-ism, kicked in to high gear due to your flawed though process and ideology... causing you to jump on "yet another" bandwagon of destruction and despise for and against "evil Corporations".
Yep.

1965 with less regulation..............AND THEY STILL WENT BUST!

Whodathunkit? :nuts:

I dont give a fawk about the evil rant.......
I give a fawk about my taxes paying to buy out the whole friggin city.:down:

Fawk that.

Find them grandchildren of the owners and roll them over for the coin.

They are the spawn of the ****ups.:whip:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Here's a little more information. I agree with you. You are absolutely correct. We should find the culprits behind this Zinc town... and crush them.

Picher can be called "the town that Jack built." It was established in 1917, just after the United States declared war on Germany in World War I, When zinc was discovered in what is now Picher, the Germans had control of the zinc mines in Belgium. And the zinc boom was on in Picher, which, along with nearby Cardin, Okla., and Treece, Kansas, became the world's largest zinc mine. Picher had a population of over 25,000. After the war, people left Picher, leaving the town in a depression until World War II, when, again, Picher boomed since zinc became a war material. But after the war, people left the town, and in the 1970's, the last of the zinc mines shut down. Submitted by: Mike Garner

UPDATE: If Picher wasn't facing troubles already with the site and water conditions, the town was pretty much cleared out by a May, 10th 2008 Tornado. There is some but little left of the town and people are still trying to figure out what to do with the site and whats left. Word is the town could be completely deserted soon.

Great site, just thought Id update with something I knew.

Frank Merrick

UPDATE: The EPA had been actively buying out residences in Picher and Cardin since late 2007 when the USGS published a study of the mine chambers under the area that revealed approximately 85-90% of the structures were badly undermined by irresponsible mining and basically the whole town was at risk of collapse at any time. Before that, the EPA was aware of the severe lead contamination from the chat piles (huge mountains of discarded, toxic mine waste you can see on Google Maps) but had been trying to remediate the area without removing the residents, but the report was the final straw. There were indeed still about 1500 people living in the town by this point. There was a particularly large mine chamber under the Picher Jr/Sr High School football field, and quickly nobody was willing to risk sending their team to play in Picher. It became a huge liability issue for the kids and they voted to close the school and move the students to the Quapaw and Miami school districts in early 2008.

The real tragedy of the tornado was due to the terrible economic situation and the fact that the underground mines meant nobody in Picher has a basement (or a septic tank for that matter, they had to pump their waste into open lagoons). The houses were mostly substandard and old, the town had no operating tornado sirens, and nobody had below-ground shelter from a violent F4 tornado. The tornado didn't even hit the main part of town, just a small neighborhood to the southeast. It still destroyed every building it touched: 7 people died and more than 150 were injured. It did accelerate the flight of the residents because the state quickly said they wouldn't pay for anybody to rebuild, just to leave. Almost everybody agreed to sell their houses and move. With nobody left to sell to, all of the remaining businesses in Picher quickly followed suit.

As of December 2010, Picher OK has exactly 8 remaining hardcore holdouts, all of which were born in Picher and evidently plan to die there. They vehemently deny the town is toxic, accuse the government of conspiring to steal their property for some nefarious purpose and refuse to leave. But many of the abandoned houses have been demolished with more being bulldozed every day. There are no operating businesses; the post office was the last and it was officially closed in late 2008 when the last of the residents left. - John Finn
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ok/picher.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts