·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the feel good story of 2020.

Video of the surprise:

Thank you letter to my parents car club and my parents for being amazing
Cascade Corvette Club

Thank you to everyone who helped make my parents 50th anniversary parade a success. Special thank you to my two main accomplishes Jim and Nancy. I called Jim and Nancy back in February with a plan of buying and gifting my parents a 50th anniversary corvette for their 50th wedding anniversary. They helped with the planning, storing, detailing and delivery of the car!

My parents have always been my role models. I learned my drive, ambition, determination, leadership, and work ethic from watching each of them start and run their own business growing up. They have successfully raised two amazing young men, who have both grown in life to have their own amazing families. My parents also showed me the type of love, understanding, and compassion it takes to have a successful marriage.

My brother and I were also lucky because we have always been around Corvettes. Many in the club have known me before I was even born. We were always hanging around and playing at car shows, club events, club meetings and generally just having fun around cars. The Cascade Corvette Club has always had a special place in my heart and soul. Growing up some of my best memories were dad help coach my baseball team, then going home after the game and working on the 1965 Corvette. I have fond memories of helping setup for the valley river mall show, the fairgrounds show, and the Joe Romania Chevrolet show thru my childhood and early adult life.

The Corvette hobby has never left my DNA (although my wife would argue that it is too large a portion of my DNA). Dad taught me the auto restoration trade and I have continued it to this day. Professionally using the work ethic and life skills mom and dad taught me, I found myself in an amazing position to give a little back. My amazing wife who I have been with for 22 years understood what this gift would mean for the family and she was completely on board.

Originally prior to covid 19 we had a master plan. We were going to use the valley river show as the backdrop to surprise mom and dad with the car. Jim and Nancy were going to enter the car side by side with their grandsport. The plan was Saturday night to do a surprise flash mob at the mall and present them with the keys. The year 2020 has been a surprising year and as circumstances have developed, we had to come up with a plan B,C,D I think we were on plan F, on how to surprise mom and dad with the Corvette.

For the car itself we only had one option. It had to be a 50th anniversary convertible and an automatic. While living in California back in 2002/2003 mom and dad came down for Monterey car week. That was the first time I can remember mom seeing the 50th anniversary edition corvette up close. Mom has always loved convertibles and the special paint, interior, wheels and emblems really set this one apart. Not that mom and dad really NEED another corvette, but I knew this corvette was one they both loved, adored and would enjoy for years to come. After months of searching online for the right car in my price range I located the car in bay area of California. The car was located at a Ferrari repair shop which had done work on the corvette making sure it was in good mechanical condition. The car was purchased in February and luckily, I acquired the car in the first week of March before covid 19 shut down the west coast. The drive back was very entertaining as it poured rain, hailed, snowed, snowed some more, and then for the last two hours was sunny.

I never brought the car home but rather took it straight to Jim and Nancy’s garage for safe keeping. The car was delivered two or three days prior to the club board meeting at Jim and Nancy’s house. Jim put a giant cooler in front of the garage door to protect the secret gift 30 feet away from mom and dad. Thru the covid 19 shutdown I would get pictures from Nancy showing me updates of Jim detailing the car and getting it ready to present.

As luck would have it the day, I delivered the car to Jim and Nancy’s house my daughter also had a soccer match in Eugene. After dropping the car off, I headed over to my parent’s house to help dad work on the 1965 corvette, then went and watch their grandchild win a soccer game. As the world changed it ended up being the last soccer match before everything shutdown. It just went to show how it was meant to be for this car to end up with mom and dad.

My wife and I were very appreciative and humbled by the turnout for the car parade. I was on the phone with Nancy Friday morning before Mother’s Day in a panic. The day we originally planned the parade the weather forecast was showing rain. Asking her for advice on how many cars we could have on short notice on a Sunday afternoon, she put me at ease. Her and Jim were confident we could get a great turn out and make this special. I believe final count we had 39 people and 20 corvettes for the parade. It was special seeing so many faces of corvette friends. While the cars change, get restore, get updated, the members of this club have always been the same and part of our extended family.

Mom and dad, thank you for being two of the most amazing parents I have ever seen. I have tried to model myself as a husband, father, man from the example the two of you have set for me. It’s no surprise that your sons have been successful in life. All we saw was the road map you put in front of us and we both followed it in our own way.

P.S. Hardest part was keeping the secret from our daughter Karina. She loves to tell grandma everything. We had to come up with stories on why dad had to fly to California on the weekend, why he had to step outside for phone calls. She didn’t find out what was about to happen until the day of the parade. Oh ya and she wants a corvette to be her first car…. SEE WHAT I STARTED???
96760880_10219991520211214_3159032455768309760_n.jpg

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,622 Posts
That is a read feel good story. All of us need to be thankful for what we have (and by what we don't have) Thanks for sharing. I know your parents are tickled pink - or is the tickled Anniversary Red.

BTW I am willing to adopt you if you want to consider me Dad. My 50th anniversary is next August:D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
WOW !!! Your dad is a spitting image of 1 of our truck drivers in work, I thought it was him at first glance.

·
DC Crew
4,825 Posts
Awesome story!

Reactions: HN376RAR

·
Registered
19 Posts
My brother and I were also lucky because we have always been around Corvettes. Many in the club have known me before I was even born. We were always hanging around and playing at car shows, club events, club meetings and generally just having fun around cars. The Cascade Corvette Club has always had a special place in my heart and soul. Growing up some of my best memories were dad help coach my baseball team, then going home after the game and working on the 1965 Corvette. I have fond memories of helping setup for the valley river mall show, the fairgrounds show, and the Joe Romania Chevrolet show thru my childhood and early adult life.Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts