Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a fender flare kit like this:

I initially wanted to go with something more extreme like these Grand Sport flares:

But I like the way these others are molded into the fenders a bit more.
Any thoughts or expeirence with either?

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
flares

Has anyone seen a fender flare kit like this:
[

Thanks!
I'm in the process of removing flares on my '63. In the end it will cost me about $5K just in new glass. When you put flares on the front, it cuts through three different panels. So to fix it right, its a big job.

However, I do like the flares on the first vette you show. But its like always say, I like flares, but only on someone elses vette.

Check with Sermersheims's, they have a few flare options.
Ask for Jessica: 812-424-4701

:cheers:

·
Registered
94 Posts
As you'll see from the photos I posted: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=897932&postcount=30

My car is a bit of a mutt already so I'm liking the idea of the flares. Thanks for the tip... I'm looking into it. :thumbsup:
Its your vette and you should and can do what ever you want to it. But if your glass is all original with no apparent damage history, it would be a shame to modify it.

I will probably do more vette restos in my future, and as I look for potential candidates, I personally will only go for the ones that have no glass modification, and have not been in a wreck. Those are the ones with value to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, if I had a C2 with no flares and original panels in the fenders, I would think long and hard before cutting them. In fact, I would seriously consider finding a car already flared and fixing it to be my ideal car rather than taking a stocker and flaring it.

The difference in value alone can make it worthwhile to do that. Sell almost any midyear without flares for $35,000 and up. Buy a lot of flared ones for $30 and down.

And I like flares, done well of course. Not all flares are flattering. The black car has some nice ones. The blue car is also nice, but personally, I think the rears are centered a bit too high, giving too much space between tire and fender. They are probably from the days of L60-15 monster rubber, that really belonged on vans and trucks, not Corvettes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, if I had a C2 with no flares and original panels in the fenders, I would think long and hard before cutting them. In fact, I would seriously consider finding a car already flared and fixing it to be my ideal car rather than taking a stocker and flaring it.

The difference in value alone can make it worthwhile to do that. Sell almost any midyear without flares for $35,000 and up. Buy a lot of flared ones for $30 and down.

And I like flares, done well of course. Not all flares are flattering. The black car has some nice ones. The blue car is also nice, but personally, I think the rears are centered a bit too high, giving too much space between tire and fender. They are probably from the days of L60-15 monster rubber, that really belonged on vans and trucks, not Corvettes.

It’s definitely a personal taste issue when it comes to flares. Some folks love ‘em, some don’t. I know it’s a risk to add them but my car is not stock anyway and I love that look. I also actually like the higher rears on those cars. Don’t know why… must be the influence of all those jacked up hot rods I grew up around.

To me, just because it’s the way the car rolled off the assembly line, doesn’t mean it’s the best look for the car. I love to see the creativity some folks have in their modifications – for example, the way back up lights have been added to that black one above, where the old exhaust ports are. I’m stealing that nifty idea for my car as well.

Hey, 65Corvette… Love your roadster… but I’m a coupe guy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
khorn, i just looked at your post where you posted pics of grand sport cars, now i know which way you want to go. im with mark milner, of you have a stock non-flared car i would keep it that way. its a classic look!! my 64 already has flares like the black one so its staying that way. you worry about the 64 being a stepchild, well its a C2 and any C2 is good. youve got the small block, 4 speed, dual brake master (drum or disc???) thats a good platform to build on. the 67 look on your car is cool. its your car and if you want to go with flares go for it, but remember the post where the guy is spending big $$$$ to go from flares to stock. i think i read you got yours recently, ive had mine for a long time and driven many 1000s of miles in it, mine is also a small block, 4 speed car, its a GREAT car. build it the way you want, drive it and enjoy it, its YOUR car!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
khorn, i just looked at your post where you posted pics of grand sport cars, now i know which way you want to go. im with mark milner, of you have a stock non-flared car i would keep it that way. its a classic look!! my 64 already has flares like the black one so its staying that way. you worry about the 64 being a stepchild, well its a C2 and any C2 is good. youve got the small block, 4 speed, dual brake master (drum or disc???) thats a good platform to build on. the 67 look on your car is cool. its your car and if you want to go with flares go for it, but remember the post where the guy is spending big $$$$ to go from flares to stock. i think i read you got yours recently, ive had mine for a long time and driven many 1000s of miles in it, mine is also a small block, 4 speed car, its a GREAT car. build it the way you want, drive it and enjoy it, its YOUR car!!:thumbsup:
Oh, please dont get me wrong... I LOVE my '64. I've drooled over C2's (the Grand Sports especially) for as long as I can recall. I totally agree... any C2 is a great car and I am fortunate to have snagged one! I'm just not overly caught up in keeping things stock however - or rather, returing it to stock in the case of my car. This car has been my dream to own and I will enjoy the hell out of it! :partyon:

ps... brakes are drum. May go disk at some point.

Oh... and how about some photos of yours???... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
youre probably just like me, i cant leave anything alone. :rolling: if i had a stocker it would drive me crazy cause i couldnt change anything!! :crazy: i finished a restoration on another car this spring so the 64 is next in line. i disassembled it in july, it went from being a driver to a giant pile of parts in the middle of the garage!!!:rolling: :rolling: the frame is ready for the sandblaster, everything else ill do myself. i figure 2 years to complete, ive done 2 ground ups (not vette) in the last 5 years so thats a pretty real estimate. ill see if i can find some old pics.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
youre probably just like me, i cant leave anything alone. :rolling: if i had a stocker it would drive me crazy cause i couldnt change anything!! :crazy:
It's funny you say that... the fact that I bought mine in an already modified state, took that pressure off me! Otherwise I'd of had the same mixed feelings!

Looking forward to seeing your pix! :cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you'll regret the flares in time.

Chuck

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Man, I can really dig those flares.

The GS flares are the most in-your-face, but I see how they arent for everyone.

The ones posted by 65Corvette seem to be a great mix between hardcore and style.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Only if it hurts me on resale!

not that I plan on parting with it any time soon...
You can bet the ranch that it will hurt resale value.

Most people looking to buy a midyear want it stock. :surprised

If/when it comes time to sell, you would deduct the cost to return it to original configuration from the sales price, and that not only includes the glass work and panels, but the paint too :)

Chuck

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can bet the ranch that it will hurt resale value.

Most people looking to buy a midyear want it stock. :surprised

If/when it comes time to sell, you would deduct the cost to return it to original configuration from the sales price, and that not only includes the glass work and panels, but the paint too :)

Chuck

I think that may be true for today, but those who actually know what "original" is, seem to be diminishing in number and there's been a huge growth of the Resto/Mod movement - more at Carlisle this year than I have ever seen. TV shows like Chip Foose's Overhaulin' and others, have grown in popularity and perhaps NCRS standards may not be so important in the furtre, except to the hard core collector.

This car wasn't a collector piece or a Barret-Jackson gold mine when I bought it, so I don't believe I am hurting the value of it. I can tell you I don't plan on deducting one cent off this car if I had to sell it. I've seen some real pieces of junk going for stupid money. Everything I have done with this car so far has been an improvement and I plan to keep it that way.

I appreiciate your point of view though and I see you have a '63 and a '69 NCRS Top Flight car. Love to see some photos!!! :thumbsup: Also, there's a car show down here by BWI airport on Sept 23rd - at the Cancun Cantina. Love to see you there in one of those darlings!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think that may be true for today, but those who actually know what "original" is, seem to be diminishing in number and there's been a huge growth of the Resto/Mod movement - more at Carlisle this year than I have ever seen. TV shows like Chip Foose's Overhaulin' and others, have grown in popularity and perhaps NCRS standards may not be so important in the furtre, except to the hard core collector.

This car wasn't a collector piece or a Barret-Jackson gold mine when I bought it, so I don't believe I am hurting the value of it. I can tell you I don't plan on deducting one cent off this car if I had to sell it. I've seen some real pieces of junk going for stupid money. Everything I have done with this car so far has been an improvement and I plan to keep it that way.

I appreiciate your point of view though and I see you have a '63 and a '69 NCRS Top Flight car. Love to see some photos!!! :thumbsup: Also, there's a car show down here by BWI airport on Sept 23rd - at the Cancun Cantina. Love to see you there in one of those darlings!

My neighbor a few blocks away has a C2 which is flared and the interior is completed changed with what looks like a van interior. His car is frankly a piece of junk. Too me, it has very little value as it would take a huge effort to make it right. Making such mods to a C2 is like wall papering your house. No matter what wall paper you pick, the next family in that house will not like it and want to change it.

In my case I'm changing all things mechanical. But I'm doing it in a way that if the next owner, if there is one, wants to, the old archaic mechanicals can be bolted right on. In fact, I have kept all the old stuff, i.e., engine, trans, etc, just for that reason.

I'm pretty bored by the 100% stock vettes. How many times can you look at one...they hold nothing new. And I don't think an old vette is much fun to drive. Why drive the old vette when you have much more moden cars with the same HP or more and all the luxury? That is why I'm upgrading all the mechanical. I dont want to have excuses not to drive it. I'm going drive mine on daily basis, so it will have all the comfort Items; A/C, PS, Navigation center, LS1, 5 speed, sound proofing, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, there is nothing like jumping both feet into the middle of a hot topic for a first post.

Chuck, Mark, and the rest have hit it pretty plain. I'd say from the pictures of your car in your link that if you flared it, you could expect to see a $10,000 lower price than it is right now. Considering yours is probably in the $30-$35 range right now, that is roughly one third of the value.

That was a good idea, sell yours, find one already flared. Hey, I like flares, on some cars, and in some styles. So it isn't the stock is better or the NCRS in me, but the real world practicality that flaring a stock fendered midyear will cost you a lot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Khorn,

I tend to agree with you, if done tastefully I think you can get as much money for a resto/mod as you can a restored vette. I personally like the stock appearing extended fenders or the grand sport fenders.

It's your vette, do what you like with it.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 49 Posts