Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i have three qustion :-

you can see the pic and tell me where is the exact place for Tachometer Pointer ( RPM ) whene it came from factory ( my car is stock )

whene the car in Normal gear or in Park ??

whene i switch the A/C on ??

whene I put the gear in Drive and i press fully break ??

i have automatic gear. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I can't think of any reason that the pointer would not be at 0 if the engine is off, no matter which gear your in, A/C or no A/C.

If it's moving, when you press the brakes or turn on the A/C, then you might have a grounding issue somewhere in the cockpit electrical. Check the wiring diagram for your year, find all the grounding points in the diagram, then locate them in the car, and clean off any oxidation that might have build up over the years from the grounding contact/ring lug/terminal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think he's asking what normal idle RPMs should be in neutral, in gear, and high idle for the AC.

I don't own your specific year of car but normal range for a V8 chevy is 700-1100.

If it loses rpm when you push the brake, the brake's vacuum booster may be leaking. RPM shouldn't drop when you push the brake.

good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slow & Leaky :thumbsup: you exactly understand me 100%

because when i put the Gear in D and waiting i feel that the car is a little bit shaking because the RPM goes down specially when i turn the A/C on ...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Those are both adjustable, the AC idle has an electric solenoid on the front of the carburetor, the piece that moves is threaded and can be turned in/out to adjust the air conditioning idle speed.

To some extent, shaking is part of the appeal of american V8s :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had the same issue but I didn't consider it a problem. I enjoyed sitting at stoplights shaking the whole time.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...you can see the pic and tell me where is the exact place for Tachometer Pointer ( RPM ) whene it came from factory...
Usually zero with the engine off, but the electric tachs sometimes do not return to zero.

...whene the car in Normal gear or in Park ??...
Curb idle in Park will be about 50 rpm or so higher than when the car is in gear. Your owner's manual or the tune up sticker will list the curb idle speed and the rpm in gear.

...whene i switch the A/C on ??...
Idle will possibly increase a little with the AC on.

...whene I put the gear in Drive and i press fully break ??...
Correct rpm with the car in Drive will typically be a little less than when the car is in Park. Stepping on the brake should have no effect on the curb idle if the car is not moving.

:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts