Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fiberglass front bumper that came with some parts that I bought for my 81 vette and I was wondering which one would be better to put on before I paint my car. Any comment on this would be helpful.Thank You my fellow DCers

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
From what I understand one of the only benefits to the flex is that it's supposed to be easier to install. However, since both usually require some work and massage to get the lines right, I don't see the point.

Use the fiberglass that you already have, employ a skilled fiberglass body guy to get the seams right, and a bumper that will never move or flex.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
fiberglass all the way, overtime the flex will heat and warp from the sun

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Up to you. Fiberglass breaks. Whack the nose and you'll be replacing a fiberglass bumper cover.

Tru-flex will give some before it breaks.

Urethane covers are being reproduced and are a better compound than the old original urethanes. Urethane bends.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I've got flex and happy with them.

That said...if you have a fiberglass bumper already, use it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Up to you. Fiberglass breaks. Whack the nose and you'll be replacing a fiberglass bumper cover.

Urethane covers are being reproduced and are a better compound than the old original urethanes. Urethane bends.

Any links to the Urethane units?

My original is pretty beat up (all the scraping on driveways and what not), and I would love a factory original replacment OR one without the license plate relief.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Any links to the Urethane units?...
Eckler's had them. I would not be surprised to find ZIP, Corvette Central, and Willcox also carry them.

All the factory originals had the license relief. All the reproductions I've seen have it because some states require a front plate.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

Mike, you are correct, the urethane bumper will give upon impact where glass won't...

...however who here wouldn't want to replace that same urethane bumper after an impact? There would certainly be evidence of the impact, even on the urethane, and a perfectionist about the body work would want it to look good again.

Finally, a glass bumper, though cracked from an accident, could be easily repaired, where the urethane would need to be replaced if it sustained damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts