Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of gathering parts for installing side exhaust on my 73. I'm planning to use fiberglass covers. Do I need the braces shown in the picture for fiberglass covers or are they just used on the metal covers?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
I don't know for sure but it would seem to me that bracing would be needed

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have never installed these so I can't help. I would think that you would need to keep them spaced away from the pipe. Is there a heat shield that goes in between the muffler and the cover?

Post a picture of your car when you get them on. Are you going to paint them red? Should look good with the shaved look you have with your car.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Braces - what does the manufacturer say? I would use them. On the factory covers, the front support extends into the cover and down toward the outside somewhat and makes the front rigid. The brace at the back keeps the back half of the cover from moving. I don't know how the fiberglass ones are made, but they may fatigue-crack from fluttering without the braces. The covers are very rigid with the braces.

What pipes are you going to use? With very little effort the factory mid-year chambered pipes will fit. I have both sets of pipes...the 69 style and the Mid-years. The chambered pipes are bigger and sound better. There's a company that makes chambered-style pipes that flow even better than the Mid-years. STS Baffles may make something that fits under the covers also.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
i just put on my fiberglass covers today. they are not done but i have them bolted up without the braces. they seem to be sturdy enough to drive around, but i will be looking for some in the future. good luck with drilling the holes and fitting them to the car, its a bitch.
btw- wear longsleeved shirts because i still itch from cutting the glass

Before

After

P.S. im still going to paint them, these are only on untill i get my hookers

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
i just put on my fiberglass covers today. they are not done but i have them bolted up without the braces. they seem to be sturdy enough to drive around, but i will be looking for some in the future. good luck with drilling the holes and fitting them to the car, its a bitch.
btw- wear longsleeved shirts because i still itch from cutting the glass

Before

After

P.S. im still going to paint them, these are only on untill i get my hookers

Dude, those look great! What are you going to do with them when you get your hookers? PM me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Superglue?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I'd just bet the braces keep the covers from cracking from the vibration. But I could be wrong too. The repop covers may have the reinforcement built in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update. I called Zip today but not much help. The guy really had no info except what was included in the package.

I may not use the braces at all but it seems to me the covers would be prone to cracking without support. I might just have the covers rest on the braces or maybe glass in a stud to attach to the brace. I'll take some pics as I go and post them here. Thanks for the input so far. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I may not use the braces at all but it seems to me the covers would be prone to cracking without support. I might just have the covers rest on the braces or maybe glass in a stud to attach to the brace. I'll take some pics as I go and post them here. Thanks for the input so far. :thumbsup:
Kid, I took a couple of quick phone pics of the side pipe cover installation. i have had these on the car for over 15 years now with no cracks. As I indicated before, I did use the rear S bracket as shown below. Other than that the only mounting points were the side kick panel screw locations indicated by the chrome tapered screw washers and stainless tapered screws. Also, I did have to do a little trim grinding at the top lip at the front to fit around the fender profile shown in one of the pics. I have had mixed input on the use of the chrome screws and washers vs counter sinking the fiberglass and painting the screws, but I was afraid the counter sunk screws would eventually pull through the fiberglass. These covers were the old Eckler covers that are thicker than some I have seen. If you would like any addition pics let me know

·
Registered
793 Posts
Wow! Turned out very nice, If anyone else wants to buy a pair of these let me know. I have a set I have never used, I wound up going with the Hookers sidepipe/headers.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
there should be a law against owning 2 such nice vettes :rolling:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
the tools would be worthless :D you guys have all that puny 110V juice... my stuff runs on 400V :rolling:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kid, I took a couple of quick phone pics of the side pipe cover installation. i have had these on the car for over 15 years now with no cracks. As I indicated before, I did use the rear S bracket as shown below. Other than that the only mounting points were the side kick panel screw locations indicated by the chrome tapered screw washers and stainless tapered screws. Also, I did have to do a little trim grinding at the top lip at the front to fit around the fender profile shown in one of the pics. I have had mixed input on the use of the chrome screws and washers vs counter sinking the fiberglass and painting the screws, but I was afraid the counter sunk screws would eventually pull through the fiberglass. These covers were the old Eckler covers that are thicker than some I have seen. If you would like any addition pics let me know

Thanks, Bullshark that was the info I was looking for. I will do the same install as you. :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts