Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Finally bought my L-88 Hood

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  matchframe 
#1 ·
I ordered my L-88 hood from Vanacors and drove over there Friday to pick it up. My wife and I really enjoyed the drive to just west of New Orleans.

I met Mike Vanacor at the shop to load up the hood. The hood is made really well. When I put it on the Vette it matched perfectly and needed no modification to line up. I highly recommend buying from Vanacor!! :thumbsup:

BTW, the interior of my Tahoe now smells like fresh fiberglass. Even though it was cold (to us Southerners), 40 degrees we drove from time to time with the windows down to breathe fresh air. :laughing::laughing:

Here are some pics:

See less See more
#2 ·
The hood looks really great. Thats gonna' look cool on the Vette. Did it come painted and with holes for the opening assembly??

You didn't happen to notice if they had a
Stinger hood for my 81 while you were there,
by any chance , did you??????

BTW, looking at your pics, it seems someone has stolen parts off your front end.:laughing:

#4 ·
Thanks! My Vette is still off the frame so that is why the front bumper assembly is off right now.

I did not see a stinger hood there, but they build body part to order. Contact them about the stinger hood, I bet they can build you one. for a lot cheaper than what the other places sell them for. Here is their website and their contact number is on there. http://www.vanacorscorvette.com/ I communicated with Jackie Vanacor who was a lot of help when I was ordering the hood.

I ordered this hood right after the New Year and they had it completed first part of this week. It take a couple of weeks to make the hoods. They are still recovering from going out of business a while back, and this is the second generation of Vanacors starting it back up. Progress is slow right now, but they do really quality work. My hood has the hardware attachment points to fit '73 - '82 Vettes. It is not painted yet, it was this color when it was made.

#16 ·
This hood is not the tall one, it is only 2 inches taller than the stock '78 hood. they make one that is 2 inches taller than this one, which makes it 4 inches taller than stock. A friend of mine had the tall hood on a '69 Vette and it was hard to see over it when making a right turn, so I decided to go with the shorter of the two.

This is the best pic I have from inside.... it is from the passenger-side, but gives you an idea of what it looks like:

#19 ·
Hey Match.......I checked out Vanacors site
and they didn't show a Stinger Hood so I
sent them an e-mail.

Jackie got back to me with the following info:

Stinger hood for the 81 $565.00

Crating and shipping to
a FED-X freight location $150.00

$715.00 doesn't sound to bad.

Guess I'll have to start saving my pennies.
I don't know how most guys feel about getting rid of the pop-up headlights, but I hate them.
Had them on a beauatiful Pontiac Formula
before the Vette, not to my liking.
Yesterday, I picked up a set of recessed headlights from a guy on Craigslist for $350.00,
60 miles from my house. Quick road trip.
thanks again for the info....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.