Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after a week of pain staking work, and some set backs, I'm finally done with the new audio system. Many thanks to Agent 86, Muddpile, Jeff, and Raidmagic for all your help and/or ideas.:thumbsup:

Here's what I ended up going with, all of which was purchased off the internet and ebay........

Pioneer DEH-P77DH ($219 shipped, new from Millionbuy.com)
Infinity Reference 6000cs components ($85 shipped, new from ebay)
Sony XM-280GTX amp ($41.81 shipped, used from ebay)
2 Rockford Fosgate P1-8" subs ($109.24 shipped, new from AV Car Expo)

This system exceeded my expectations. There is no comparison to the Bose system I replaced, and there's less mid-range speakers in the new system!

One thing I forgot to do is take pictures of the subs before I put the grilles back on, but here's some pic's of during the install, and the final project.........

dash apart and waiting for new head unit

door panels off, bose enclosure out, and waiting for new components

components ready to go in

rear enclosures out and waiting for subs

new components in and door back together

new head unit

HU illuminated

amp installed

.........and the 1st song played on the new system......SEEK AND DESTROY by Metallica. :partyon:

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Sweet!:cheers: Now that I've seen it twice I think I am going to put Tweeters on the door handle areas. That must really bring out the sound

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
raidmagic said:
Sweet!:cheers: Now that I've seen it twice I think I am going to put Tweeters on the door handle areas. That must really bring out the sound
It does, and in my opinion, they look sweet there. The imaging with them is great also. No separation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Congratulations! Glad your happy with the sound. I am thinking of getting a pair of those Infinity Reference 6.5" components for my truck. How is the overall sound of them from highs to lows? Also, how well did they tackle metallica ( I listen to mostly rock/metal).

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
muddpile said:
How is the overall sound of them from highs to lows? Also, how well did they tackle metallica ( I listen to mostly rock/metal).
The sound is great, no separation between the highs and mids. I don't even miss the rear mids. And let me tell you, when Seek and Destroy played, the subs really came alive. I turned it up as far as my ears would allow and had no distortion, and that was with a burned CD. I still have to play around with the settings on the amp to get the right combo.

Agent 86 said:
Did you use the swivel and tilt the tweets towards your head ?
Kind of. I tilted them towards the rear, but kept them horizontal to the floor (no up and down tilt).

I'm so happy with the way it turned out. The Rockford's weren't as deep as the JL's so I was able to recess them a little more, which allowed me to keep from trimming the back grilles as much as you did.

The only thing that really set me back was the front 4x6" Infinity's. I spent all that time taking the dash out, trimming the grilles, and wiring just to find out they wouldn't fit. :bang Now I have to by new blank speaker grilles for the dash as these are already starting to show sag in the fabric. :down:

The only thing I'm upset about is my passenger side mirror "howls" a little. I don't know what to do with it besides take it off and apart to see if anythings loose. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-=Jeff=- said:
COOL MAN!!!!

Glad to hear you got the sound you wanted
Thanks Jeff! :cheers:

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
That head looks great!!!!! First one I have seen fit the hole. That is what is stopping me from aftermarket in my 90. I don't care for those fillers. Will it fit in mine? I am torn about the Bose. Speakers don't work now.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scole Bandit said:
That head looks great!!!!! First one I have seen fit the hole. That is what is stopping me from aftermarket in my 90. I don't care for those fillers. Will it fit in mine? I am torn about the Bose. Speakers don't work now.
I went on www.crutchfield.com to see if it would fit in your 1990 and it says it doesn't. If you can, take measurements of how wide/tall your stock radio is. If you're really ambitious, see how deep it is also.

Give me these dimensions and I'll compare them to mine. I didn't think that 1990 was any different than 1986, etc's.

The only dislike I have about the Pioneer is that when the dash is back together, the detachable face is a little hard (snug) to take off. It's not that bad, but not how I would like it, you need 2 hands to do it.

Let me know. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dupe.....sorry......:bang

(see above)

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
The Shield said:
I went on www.crutchfield.com to see if it would fit in your 1990 and it says it doesn't. If you can, take measurements of how wide/tall your stock radio is. If you're really ambitious, see how deep it is also.

Give me these dimensions and I'll compare them to mine. I didn't think that 1990 was any different than 1986, etc's.

Let me know. :thumbsup:
Thanks!!!!!!I will check it this weekend

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Good job!!
I like the look of the tweeters in the door handle covers.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Bad said:
Good job!!
I like the look of the tweeters in the door handle covers.:thumbsup:
Thanks! I have to give credit to Agent 86 for that idea though. He did that to his and I had to have mine like that. Looks great there. :thumbsup:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
:surprised

Looks great! What do you think of the Pioneer Head Unit? That's the one I was going to use in mine.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
poncherello said:
:surprised

Looks great! What do you think of the Pioneer Head Unit? That's the one I was going to use in mine.
So far I love it. The only thing it doesn't have is MP3 and XM radio, but I didn't care about that. Besides, I have a 10 disc changer, so why would I want MP3! :laughing:

I haven't had a chance to go through the manual fully to explore all it's capabilities, but from what I can do with it now, it's exceeded my expectations.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants a din and a half radio keeping the stock look, and doesn't care about the bells and whisles of the others. :thumbsup:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
The Shield said:
So far I love it. The only thing it doesn't have is MP3 and XM radio, but I didn't care about that. Besides, I have a 10 disc changer, so why would I want MP3! :laughing:

I haven't had a chance to go through the manual fully to explore all it's capabilities, but from what I can do with it now, it's exceeded my expectations.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants a din and a half radio keeping the stock look, and doesn't care about the bells and whisles of the others. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the review. I was looking for a DIN 1/2 that had MP3 and RDS but can't find one anywhere. So I guess it will be the Pioneer.

Looking at your pictures i can tell you that I do not have the patience to do that job. :surprised

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
poncherello said:
Thanks for the review. I was looking for a DIN 1/2 that had MP3 and RDS but can't find one anywhere. So I guess it will be the Pioneer.

Looking at your pictures i can tell you that I do not have the patience to do that job. :surprised
I couldn't find a DIN 1/2 MP3 player either, thus my choice in the Pioneer. Actually the install was more time consuming than anything. The hardest part was running the new wires. Waiting for paint, glue, etc was what took so long.

You won't be disappointed by choosing the Pioneer though. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
-=Jeff=- said:
what did you end upp doing with the 4x6 plates?
They're sitting in my house in the box. The only thing I did to them was scratch the sticker on the bottom of the magnet a little when I was trying to put them in the dash. They never even got a chance to be hooked up. :bang

1 - 20 of 22 Posts