Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting around to putting in some new speakers cause the old bose are worn out and dead. I have been reading through some previous threads and kind of understand the status of the speakers. I recently purchased a kenwood excelon kdc-x791 and had trouble trying to get the speakers to work so I am just getting all new speakers. The one thing I am still a bit confused about, when people said the dash speakers, they are referring to under the dash pad, thought there were ones there? I am thinking of getting, I guess, 4" for the dash, 6.5" for the doors, and 6X9 in the rear, all Infinity Kappa series. Does that sound right? Mostly questioning the 4" ones, heard people having trouble with those. Is depth an issue?

Thanks

·
Mt. Olympus' Bouncer
335 Posts
The dash speakers will cause you headaches with reflections, comb filtering and generally harsh sounds. MHO. Get some real comparison time between the Kappas and other speakers, I find them to sound pretty harsh in cars.

jsut do 6.5 door, 6x9 rear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean by reflections? Like sun reflections? And why should I not mess with the dash speakers?

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I don't believe your '88 came with dash speakers, like my '86. I tried putting 4x6" Infinity components up there and could not get them to fit due to the depth. Even after I trimmed the mounts as much as I could. Stick with the doors/rears and you'll be surprised from the sound you'll get. I only have 6" components in the doors and 8" subs in the rear locations and can't tell there's nothing but bass behind me. :thumbsup:

·
Mt. Olympus' Bouncer
335 Posts
And if you get it all tuned in right, it'll sound like the bass is in front of you too. Not an easy task in a rattle-filled car like the Vette though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my 88 Corvette I have Infinity 6.5" Kappa's in the doors and 6x9 Infinity Kappa's in the rear. Nothing in the dash. I built a small subwoofer box to hold an 8" sub and located it in the large storage compartment. The entire system sounds GREAT!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my 88 Corvette I have Infinity 6.5" Kappa's in the doors and 6x9 Infinity Kappa's in the rear. Nothing in the dash. I built a small subwoofer box to hold an 8" sub and located it in the large storage compartment. The entire system sounds GREAT!
Hi theboogieman, I order those Infinity speakers and was wondering about your sub box. When you say "located it in the large storage compartment" do you mean the two compartments right behind the seats, that sounds interesting? Is it possible for you to post a pic of this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for the delay getting back to you with some pics of the subwoofer box I made for the storage bin behind the passenger seat of my 88 Vette. I have uploaded some pics, just click on the "My Corvette Photos" link to see them. I still haven't mastered how to upload or attach photos when posting a reply such as this one.

Anyway, there is one photo of the completed subwoofer box where to shows the box placed in the storage bin. For some reason that I question now, I decided to paint the sub box black before I set it inside the bin, to later realize no one is going to see it after I close the lid and lock it. Oh well. In this photo you'll see some red arrows pointing outward. I wanted to show there is additional space left over in the bin. A 10" sub would fit, but the sub box would have to be built with a wider top than bottom of the sub box, so A) the subwoofer itself would fit, and B) the sub box would require the extra air space within the box so the sub can function properly.

I hope these photos help. If I can answer any questions let me know. Building that box for the 8" sub was the best part when I installed the entire new system. I knew the CD head unit would work, and I knew from past experience and installs the Infinity Kappa's would work, same with the amps, but I had no idea if this custom box would actually work, much less sound good. That's why I was shocked and happy as hell the box DID work and DOES sound great. Sometimes a person gets lucky and gets their wish so I hope your as happy with your new system as I am with mine. Take care!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts