Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just last Thursday, we brought home our 73 Dark Blue 454 4spd hardtop. We were pretty excited. My wife had to drive it home as the seat belt retractor was jammed and wouldn't go over my hips.:lookinup:
Don't have a manual yet and have a couple of questions. Where's the best lifting points front and rear for a floorjack? Where to place the jackstands(chassis I assume)? I need to check the emergency brake and make sure I can get it to work. And fix that seatbelt retractor. Have to get it safetied this week if I don't run out of time since the temp permit is good till Friday and then after that I have to tow it. Would someone have an image of the emergency brake mechanism (including the cable)? Thanks.
Joe :cheers:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Side rails, where they are straight. Jacking or stands. Pop the hood and loosen the t-tops first. These cars flex alot.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Congrats.
Keep the rain out of it and then take the seats out to fix the seat belts. Make sure the drain hole is open and then start the endless quest to stop the water.:D

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Order a '73 owner's manual and the '73 assembly instruction manual. You might also want to consider the Chassis and Service Manual.

Congratulations on the '73. Cruise and enjoy!
Remember: C3 drivers WAVE!

:buhbye:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Its sounds like a nice car. Enjoy it!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments!!!:cheers: I have some mods in mind that I would like to do with time (and money). Where can the manuals be ordered from?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Thanks for the comments!!!:cheers: I have some mods in mind that I would like to do with time (and money). Where can the manuals be ordered from?
Thanks
All the major vendors carry them. Eckler's,Corvette Central, Rik's, etc.
I would also advise buying the Helms/GM shop manual.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thanks

Ebay is your friend.....tons and tons of parts for your year.... Check it out and save a crapload of cash.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Ebay is your friend.....tons and tons of parts for your year.... Check it out and save a crapload of cash.
Tons and tons of crap too. People dump their trash there. BE CAREFULL. Check feedback. Think about what you are buying. Ask questions. Look for "square trade" symbol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Congrats!! Big block Vettes are awesome!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congrats on the Stingray. You are gonna love it..and if you do much of the work yourself, your gonna hate it ( at some point) but then you go to bed get up the next day and love it again. I've been thru it all with my 79 for over two years now. You mentioned the e-brake. Not much fun . If you have the drum type pads , I'd check the linkage cable under the car to see if it can be tightened before I start tearing into the mechanism at the rear wheel...requires a special tool and the patience of JOB...mine still don't hold on a hill and I put all new parts in .
I agree with the others definitely get the Service manual and if you plan on doing a lot of resto work yourself, get the AIM book for your year( Assembly Instruction Manual...only pictures but its like looking at a model car assembly sheet
Good luck and enjoy...Don't hesitate to ask me about anything.

Marc

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
As you may know, this site has a very strict policy on pictures........We NEED them

:partyon:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments and advice!!!:cheers: I'm listening!!:laughing:
Will post a couple of pics soon. Just went over the emergency brakes last night and got them working. Well one side better than the other, but still works. Fixed my seat belt retractor also. So I took it out and WOW!!! that big block has some kick!!!!:surprised I love it. It's definitely going to be a resto-mod. And then in a few years I'd love to have a C6 or C5 beside it in my garage.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase:cheers:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Order a '73 owner's manual and the '73 assembly instruction manual. You might also want to consider the Chassis and Service Manual.

Congratulations on the '73. Cruise and enjoy!
Remember: C3 drivers WAVE!

:buhbye:
Mike, where is the best place to get an AIM?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts