Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Grandfather bought a brand new 1953 Chevy Wagon to deliver groceries for his store. He died in 1978 and my Uncle inherited the Wagon. My Uncle was restoring it when he died last year. My Cousin asked me several months ago if I wanted the car since he wanted to use his garage for other things such as woodworking. I accepted the Wagon without hesitation, but was unable to go pick it up until this weekend.

My family and I drove to San Antonio Saturday morning and pulled the trailer home today. Here are some shots of the 53 Wagon:

My Cousin and I lining the car up to the trailer for loading:

My daughter stands by while we get the car loaded:

On the trailer:

Here is an interesting shot..... my 2003 Tahoe is exactly 50 years younger than the Wagon we are pulling home.

The back of the Wagon on the trailer:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Man that is too cool. Adding the fact that it has always been in your family makes it even cooler. I can't wait to read about the improvements that you make to it. I am so excited for you. Keep us posting on what you do with it.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cousin has a lot of deer show up in his yard every evening to eat corn he throws out on the driveway. Really cool seeing these deer up close. There was an eight point deer among these that were in his yard yesterday.

Here they are eating off the driveway in front of my Tahoe:

·
DC Crew
13,185 Posts
Still looks good after all those years :thumbsup:

Now for the question, Which one gets done first? the vette or the 53?

·
DC Crew
13,185 Posts
My cousin has a lot of deer show up in his yard every evening to eat corn he throws out on the driveway. Really cool seeing these deer up close. There was an eight point deer among these that were in his yard yesterday.

Here they are eating off the driveway in front of my Tahoe:

:surprised Hey Ron want to go to TX this year and do some hunting :devil:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man that is too cool. Adding the fact that it has always been in your family makes it even cooler. I can't wait to read about the improvements that you make to it. I am so excited for you. Keep us posting on what you do with it.
I had a long talk with my cousin this weekend about what I should do with the Wagon. Everything on the car is original and there are no pieces missing. The engine does have a crack in one of the cylinders because there are air bubbles in the radiator. I have the 350/TH350 out of my 78 Vette and my cousin encouraged me to drop that in the 53. He said I should modernize the car so we can enjoy driving it anytime we want.

So if there are any photoshop gurus I would like to see what the wagon would look like painted black, dropped with some cool looking 18 inch wheels under it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still looks good after all those years :thumbsup:

Now for the question, Which one gets done first? the vette or the 53?
Ha!! I can have the wagon road worthy for a fraction of the cost of what it will cost to finish the Vette. I plan on keep working on the Vette because I am not too far from dropping the body back on the frame. The cost is going to be buying all of the Big Block parts I need to finish the Vette.

I already have most of the parts I need to finish the 53. I do need to get a better rear end for it and would like to find out what disc brakes I can modify to work on the wagon. Wheels and tires are going to be the big cost for the 53. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
That'll be a cool project.:cheers:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Awesome project.. If only chopping it wasnt so damn intensive. Theres a chopped late 30's merc that drives around my town.. coolest looking car even if it is a Ford product.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
:surprised Hey Ron want to go to TX this year and do some hunting :devil:
What week is good for you? Looks like all I'll need is my Glock 22 since they're baited in so close already for us. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What week is good for you? Looks like all I'll need is my Glock 22 since they're baited in so close already for us. :laughing:

You probably don't even need the Glock. If you keep your head down, you can walk right into the middle of the pack, hold your hand out and they will sniff your hand. But as soon as you raise your head, they take off.

A real sportsman could get one with a sharp knife! :laughing:

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
You probably don't even need the Glock. If you keep your head down, you can walk right into the middle of the pack, hold your hand out and they will sniff your hand. But as soon as you raise your head, they take off.

A real sportsman could get one with a sharp knife! :laughing:
:smack Gotta love those Texas deer! :laughing:

What I can't believe is the bucks are already out of velvet. They must have different time frames for the cycles down there. :huh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts