Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember back in December I posted I was having a problem with missing and a knock.
I get the car back from the shop tomorrow after an engine rebuild. Seems I bent a few connecting rods. the number 7 was a pretzel. The shop is trying to dig it up for me so I can keep it.

My wife reminded me it was raining the night we had the issue, I do have a Vararam intake. Not trying to start one of those discussions but I dont see how else water got in.

So tomorrow its pick the car up and prep to sell it. This thing has too many electrical bugs for me to want to keep it.
Gas gauge, passenger mirror wont stay set, AC wont stay set, security light will flash at random, constantly downloads a 1571 that I cant find a cause too.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Good luck with that.I killed my Cady because of water in the engine,heavy rain at 4am drove into 2 to 3 feet of water and waiting for another engine.Now I drive my Corvette everyday.........:thumbsup:

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The weather history for Las Vegas shows .07 of an inch of rain that day at the airport. I didnt drive through any puddles and the rain wasnt hard, but I was driving on the interstate.

· Registered
82 Posts
I am not buying the vararam deal. I have ran them for too long, in pouring rain, thru puddles, etc with 0 issues. Now, if you were to submerge it, I could maybe see it, but not with just anything resembling normal.

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not buying the vararam deal. I have ran them for too long, in pouring rain, thru puddles, etc with 0 issues. Now, if you were to submerge it, I could maybe see it, but not with just anything resembling normal.
I tend to agree but I see no other way water got in the cylinders to cause rods to bend.

· Registered
82 Posts
How do you know it was water that caused the issue?
With no more water than you are talking about that came down that day, I have to say again, NO WAY.

I have driven in rain so heavy it is almost impossible to see where you are going, I have driven thru the inevitable puddles left by heavy rain, as have several friends with both c5 and c6 vararam systems, no one has ever had any type of problems.

You really need to be looking elsewhere for a problem. I do not have an answer on what caused the rod to bend, but IF it was water, you need to find another route besides the vararam. Way too many out in the world, especially heavier rain areas than you are located, that have not experienced this.

The only times I have heard of "verified" water in the system from the vararam was when someone of less than stellar IQ submerged the front of the car in deep water. I do not blame the vararam in that case either, although yes, it did get in thru the system. Due diligence should tell people not to drive a corvette through deep water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.