Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After about three weeks of annoying squeeks I checked the roof this morning after dropping my wife to work, the entire length in the back of the roof is delaminated.:smack The roof had the foam adhesive done last late October.

Took the car to the dealer (Chapman Chevrolet) this morning. I also told them to fix the annyoing self poping ashtray and replace the rear end clutch pack. I can't get rid off the grinding noise no matter how many figure 8 I do. They already perform the fluid change last year around May. The noise is back permanently.

The parts will be on order as soon as the dealer get power/phone line up in the dealership. The person I'm dealing with is very nice and told me he will call me back sometime next week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
After about three weeks of annoying squeeks I checked the roof this morning after dropping my wife to work, the entire length in the back of the roof is delaminated.:smack The roof had the foam adhesive than last late October.

Took the car to the dealer (Chapman Chevrolet) this morning. I also told them to fix the annyoing self poping ashtray and replace the rear end clutch pack. I can't get rid off the grinding noise no matter how many figure 8 I do. They already perform the fluid change last year around May. The noise is back permanently.

The parts will be on order as soon as the dealer get power/phone line up in the dealership. The person I'm dealing with is very nice and told me he will call me back sometime next week.
I remember about 6 months ago my roof laminate popped off at around 35 mph and sailed into the woods. I got the adhesive fix until the recall came out. It was fixed with the foam around 3 months ago. It is now starting to pop again. I applied spray silicon a couple of days ago and the popping seems to have stopped. Is everyone having the popping noises in their targa roofs that have one? Is the silicon spray a good tool to use to prevent that popping noise. I'm afraid my roof laminate is about to separate again:WTF

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember about 6 months ago my roof laminate popped off at around 35 mph and sailed into the woods. I got the adhesive fix until the recall came out. It was fixed with the foam around 3 months ago. It is now starting to pop again. I applied spray silicon a couple of days ago and the popping seems to have stopped. Is everyone having the popping noises in their targa roofs that have one? Is the silicon spray a good tool to use to prevent that popping noise. I'm afraid my roof laminate is about to separate again:WTF
I think it is time for you to go back to your dealer and get a new roof...that what I'm getting, a brand new roof.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think it is time for you to go back to your dealer and get a new roof...that what I'm getting, a brand new roof.
:agree: I'm not wasting my time with that foam crap, as it obviously doesn't work. No signs of problems with my '06 after a year, so not going in to do an "ain't broke, but we'll fix it so it will..." bs. When it separates, I'll go in for a new one. That is IF it separates.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I do have some creaks and squeaks in my roof sometimes, at slow speeds, is this the start of the delamination? I thought it was supposed to be fixed for 2007 cars. Anyone know? Thanks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have some creaks and squeaks in my roof sometimes, at slow speeds, is this the start of the delamination? I thought it was supposed to be fixed for 2007 cars. Anyone know? Thanks.
Not necessarily, readjust your roof by removing it and then reinstalling it. You don't have to completely remove it, you can do it right before you drive. Make sure you are on level ground and window it partially down, unlock your top and move the front slight it up (about two inches, enough to move the back pins in and out) and then reinstall the top. This allow for the top to be readjust due to tempature effect and release some preloded stress. I always done this when I hear execessive noise and pop until about three weeks ago when it no longer works and finally checked it yesterday for possible delamination. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
:thumbsup: Thanks! I'll try that

·
Registered
159 Posts
anybody have any pictures of a delaminated roof? i've never seen one. just heard of panels flying off and whatnot.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
anybody have any pictures of a delaminated roof? i've never seen one. just heard of panels flying off and whatnot.
Here's mine...

·
Registered
89 Posts
See my photographs for a picture of the roof laminate after finding it in the woods. It has some weight to it - Glad it did not hit anyone!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went into my local chevy dealer this Spring for an oil change and they informed me about the recall. I'd bought my vette used and had no clue there was a problem with the roof. They added some extra glue to my original top and ordered me a new one to replace the old.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had a few creaks on mine also. I sprayed a little silicone spray on the front latches and it seemed to fix it. We will see.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hate to hear this. I just got mine back from the dealer for this same problem. Thought I had been lucky and avoided it (parked in a garage at home and work), but it recently hit me too. Got the new roof (and clutch packs for the rear end chatter) and now I don't hear a creak or grind from either. So far, couldn't be happier. Should've come this way in the first place, but now I'm happy. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts