Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ehpm.htmlw

We started out with the old manual brakes that came on the car with the ccalipers with the lip seals the pedal would never stay hard and the car was a little scary to drive.
So we replaced the master cylindeer some of the steel brake lines,hoses and new calipers the pedal would now stay hard but you could not lock up the tires and the car was still a little scary to drive.
So we thought we would try one of the ABS eletricly boosted power brake systems..
This is what we found out about this system it comes with a very nice polished AL. master cylinder which bolted up right in place of the old M/C you have to remove your old push rod from the brake pedal because the new linkage is built into the new M/C and is a pretty big pita to aattach to the brake pedal.
We put the pump and accumlator behind the drivers side gill vent on a bracket we bolted to the frame it fit in there pretty cleanly there is only three wires to hook up ground ,key on and a power source then we hooked up some steel lines to the m/c and some braided lines to the dist block and bleed the system..
The car is no longer scary to drive I would call the feel of the brakes a little touchy its going to take a little time to get use to these brakes you can lock em up just by thinking about it now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You are right, the ABS PowerBrake is a great upgrade!

I switched over to the ABS system last year and I love it too. I'm just completing the final upgrade to a Wilwood big brake kit right now. 13" rotors front & rear with 4 piston rears and 6 piston fronts.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Sounds like a neat upgrade. Any pics so we can see your install?

wonder why the old brake system was giving you so much trouble. :huh:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might take some time to get some pics its our busy season we will not have time for the vette until mid summer most likely

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didnt even try the link to see if it worked

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll post some pics since ZZ71s not got his handy, but he can respond to your questions so I won't thread jacking his build post. My mounting must be very similar based on his description. The green bulb in the 1st pic is the accumulator. (The wiring plug across from it is a Killer Lights Firebird module)

What I like about it:
Firm pedal all the time regardless of rpm or poor vacuum.
No pullies.
If the system dies you still have a dozen brakings left before it basically operates like a non-power system.
Cleans up the firewall/engine bay.
Sheds 30+ lbs of weight.
:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts