1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I think it's Awesome they let it burn!. You don't pay your insurance-- then you don't get the benefit from everyone else who does.

Isn't this the same as what everyone is complaining about for taxes and premiums going to emergency rooms to pay for illegals and other miscreants who don't pony up?

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and to think, they put people in jail for charging a protection fee to businesses in cities....even if its legal, gotta wonder what they were thinking watching it burn....guess it IS all about the money....probably some union rep/rule that made sure they let it burn....

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
doubt this is a protection fee. I grew up in rural MO. The little city responded to fires via volunteers and paid fees. since the fire department was a city org covering the locals in the county. those in the coverage area were asked to pay a fee similar to the fees the city could legally impose via a vote.

I highly dobt the firemen go out and start fires in homes that aren't covered-- as one would suggest by looking at these as racketeering...

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now dont go and be putting words in my mouth, in no way am i implying they started the fire....

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
As a 38-year professional firefighter, I have some real problems with this debacle on BOTH sides. In the first place, I cannot imagine standing there, watching someone's house burn. I wouldn't be able to do that, nor would any of the hundreds of firefighters I call friends and brothers. I do understand that there are some very remote areas where the only way they can afford to provide fire protection is by subscription. You pay the $75 fee, you're covered. You don't ,you're not. Obviously this system won't work if you let folks delay deciding until their house is on fire - otherwise no one would pay. It's not a good system by any means, and very few commnities still use it . . . but this one does, and all the residents knew it.

Here's the other side of the coin: This homeowner apparently didn't feel his home and family were worth $75. That's ENTIRELY on him and his conscience, or lack thereof. There are no innocent parties here, and plenty of shame to go around.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
As a 38-year professional firefighter, I have some real problems with this debacle on BOTH sides. In the first place, I cannot imagine standing there, watching someone's house burn. I wouldn't be able to do that, nor would any of the hundreds of firefighters I call friends and brothers. I do understand that there are some very remote areas where the only way they can afford to provide fire protection is by subscription. You pay the $75 fee, you're covered. You don't ,you're not. Obviously this system won't work if you let folks delay deciding until their house is on fire - otherwise no one would pay. It's not a good system by any means, and very few commnities still use it . . . but this one does, and all the residents knew it.

Here's the other side of the coin: This homeowner apparently didn't feel his home and family were worth $75. That's ENTIRELY on him and his conscience, or lack thereof. There are no innocent parties here, and plenty of shame to go around.
Well stated! :agree:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Its not racketeering, its private enterprise. The homeowner didnt pay for the elective service, why should they cover someone who didnt pay?

Had they collected the fee on the spot there would be no incentive for other's to pay the fee until their house was on fire. The owner took a gamble and lost, BIG.

Assuming he has home owners insurance, Ill bet there was a clause in his coverage that requires fire coverage.

It sucks to be him.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
except fire departments are not private companies....

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
I guess going forward this (one-time homeowner) will make sure to pay his/her fire protection fee.;)

I'm sorry their house burnt down but that's one bill they should have just paid.:huh:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
except fire departments are not private companies....
You believe in reduced government and hate people who mooch off of the government in the form of social wellfare, correct? Therefore you should understand that the government shouldnt have helped this homeowner because that would have been a free government handout.

Of course it isnt private enterprise, but you agree that it should be run like one? Its basically a government run insurance. If your house is on fire they put it out, if not, well you should have gotten the insurance. IMO its the best of both worlds.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Looks and sounds crazy.... but. The city is doing those folks a favor by offering to provide this service, when they cannot collect taxes to pay for it. I live in the county, if the local VFD sent me a bill for $75 I wouldn't blink. And if my neighbor decided to take his chances, so be it.

I don't think they are obligated to risk injury, wear and tear on their equipment, etc. just because they are good guys. Even VFD's are expensive to run, city departments typically cost more to operate because of state regulation/requirements. I don't know what the typical house fire costs the department, but it's a hellova lot more than $75.

He took his chances and lost. :huh:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Its not racketeering, its private enterprise. The homeowner didnt pay for the elective service, why should they cover someone who didnt pay?
I don't think the fire department is private... I think it's a municipal service...not sure how that translates to this incident.
My dad was a member of the local ambulance service and it was all volunteer, but they depended on donations for equipment and training.
Had they collected the fee on the spot there would be no incentive for other's to pay the fee until their house was on fire. The owner took a gamble and lost, BIG.
Sounds like the health care bill. Don't buy coverage until your in the ambulance... and that is ludicrous, not your comment, the law.
Assuming he has home owners insurance, Ill bet there was a clause in his coverage that requires fire coverage.

It sucks to be him.
I wonder if he didn't care about fire coverage if his mortgage was under water...

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Looks and sounds crazy.... but. The city is doing those folks a favor by offering to provide this service, when they cannot collect taxes to pay for it. I live in the county, if the local VFD sent me a bill for $75 I wouldn't blink. And if my neighbor decided to take his chances, so be it.

I don't think they are obligated to risk injury, wear and tear on their equipment, etc. just because they are good guys. Even VFD's are expensive to run, city departments typically cost more to operate because of state regulation/requirements. I don't know what the typical house fire costs the department, but it's a hellova lot more than $75.

He took his chances and lost. :huh:
:agree:
Where we live the town and county provide coverage through taxes, and the local fire marshal is very strict, but I think it's worth it. The fire marshal strictly enforcing the code keeps the fire expenses down and therefore the taxes are lower.

This is a good example of government services being handled at the local level actually working. I bet my fire tax contribution is higher than $75 dollars though, I have to look at when I get the next assessment.

The only problem I wiould have regarding a voluntary assessment would be like George Carlin's airplane passenger bit...the plane is crashing and well, if it isn't my time to go, what if it's the guy's time next to me?

What if your neighbor's house goes up, and your's is in proximity...

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
What if your neighbor's house goes up, and your's is in proximity...
I believe they said the neighbor's house next door was protected from catching on fire, since he did pay his $75.

But if they are attached dwellings (townhouse, twin, rowhomes, etc.), then what? :huh:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't think the fire department is private... I think it's a municipal service...not sure how that translates to this incident.
My point is that a typical government agency would have saved the house regardless of past payment history. The legal proceedings to get that $75 fee and late fees would be seperate.

It is a government agency, but they only cater to those who pay for the service, much like a private enterprise is operated.

I wonder if he didn't care about fire coverage if his mortgage was under water...
If the guy is underwater on a trailer home mortage things werent going his way before the fire. :laughing:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Every fire department, whether volunteer or paid, is funded through tax dollars. My village tax bill shows me exactly how much my share of the funding is. Every year I get a notice from the fire department with a "suggested" donation marked. I promptly ignore it and sure enough in two months I get another one.

Here's the problem I have with these "suggested" donations, there is no real control or regulations governing its spending. The volunteer board can spend it as they wish. I refuse to pay them to sit around the fire house during their weekly meetings and drink a keg a beer all night long. Around here, these "suggested" donations are in addition to the "boot fills" they have on busy tourist weekends when they stand in traffic jamming a smelly boot in your face demanding money.

A fire department, volunteer or paid, has the obligation to provide the service regardless of this $75 fee. What would have happened if someone died in that fire?

That being said, if my house caught fire I'd hold them at bay and tell them to just save the foundation. :laughing:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
but then where would you AND your parents live? :smack:nuts:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts