Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I Am Going To Buy A 1981 Corvette I Am Looking For Some Feed Back What To Look For Befor I Buy This Car . I Am Starting This A Little Late In Life So Any Help You Give Out Will Really Help.
Thank You FOR Your Time Scott

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
It's worth going to a book store and spending some time looking at some of the books available. There are a couple I've seen with buying tips. One that comes to mind is called something like Restoring and Modifying 1968-82 Corvettes. I'm not at home so I can't get you the exact title.

A couple of things

Look for frame rust if they salt the roads in the winter, weather strips rotted out, poor body work, etc. etc.

Probably worth having a Corvette shop go over any car you get serious about.

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
I recommend getting a car fax and the most important of all is to have a licensed mechanic look at it good luck on your purchase:thumbsup:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I recommend getting a car fax and the most important of all is to have a licensed mechanic look at it good luck on your purchase:thumbsup:
:agree:

Take it to a mechanic that you know and trust. Have it put it on a lift and inspect the frame for damage from accidents and rust. Then let the mechanic inspect the rest of the car.

Good Luck!

:cheers:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Tap the frame behind the seats where it goes up to support the rear end and wheels with a hammer. Corvettes will rust through the frame there. Sort of the death of a C3 right there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Scott... welcome to DC !!!

Speaking of starting late in life... I got my first Corvette 3 months ago. I'm 57... and I love it... well worth the wait...:thumbsup:

My closest friend just happens to be a mechanic, who works on and restores Vettes. He went with me to inspect the car before I bought it.

He advised me to buy it and how much to offer.

He also told me how much I could expect to spend on the car after the purchase. He was within $100.

Can't wait to see pics of yours...

P.S. It's kinda like being a kid again...:laughing:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I Am Starting This A Little Late In Life.... Scott

:cheers: and Welcome Aboard!

Me too.............just bought my 1st vette (an '81) a couple of months ago as well, I'm 42.
I bought a "lotta" fixer upper. The first time I'll get to drive her will be when
she is completely finished.....remember...sometimes it's the journey....not the destination. ;)

Pics..........we need pics. :partyon:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bought my 81 in June and have already taken it to its first cruise night. It is a silver over charcoal two tone Bowling Green Vette. I simply love the car and the looks it gets. Good luck with the purchase if you decide to go through with it. By the way there is literally tons of information on C-3’s on the net starting with this great site here. Again good luck and give us more details.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

Get a few books or use the search function here - search for "birdcage rust" "frame rust" "kickups" and you'll find lots of good info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Dee Vee has the answer or you will be stuck with 2 like I have, takin their word. It does not work nowadays. And all this stuff about the cage being intack is perty useless (because few will let you remove the panels on either side to inspect). If the bottom is rusty, I assure you the rest of it will be also. A good mechanic is your best bet and if the car is nowhere close to your area then there are inspection services that will go there and look the car over for you. And if it is going to be hauled don't waste your time on those closed haulers. New Corvettes come to the dealership open carrier. And they survive just fine. And a Carfax is, Well, that is what it is. And if the car is just a cheap buy and you are happy about the price, just remember, it will spell money pit if it is real cheap. Trust me. Find one done. New bushing, new everything. And findin a low mileage C3 is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Hit on the dash board with your hand. If the odometer jumps, then it has been tampered with and the number will be cocked to one side or the other. And I do not know it all like the other members of this C3 Forum. They have some rebuilt them from scratch and did never look back at the cost. And did the C3 right by their hard work and money spent. Just for the pure love of ownin a C3. Much luck and hope she makes you happy. You pay for what you get. :cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
After reading all the above, go find your local vette club, attend a couple of meetings, join, and get to know the club guru, every club has one, he probably owns a vette shop, PAY HIM to go inspect a car you allready seen/like.....get it on a lift, he will show you what he is looking at/for....primarily RUST and accident damage.....

for instance.....some years ago, here in Florida a woman had bought a Arizona rust free '72 coupe, nice car, good paint, clean interior/engine ran fine...BUT.....
some years previous it had been in a horrendous wreck, and the entire front section of the frame had more metal/welding/straightening/pulling done on it, I was just shocked, so was the shop owner....we about ****, it was THAT bad....so we did a frame swap....BTW, the rear section from about the driver's ass backward was absolutely brand new not a ounce of rust there or in the birdcage.....too bad about the rest of the frame though...

so, just because it's 'rust free' ain't necessarily the whole story....

don't mean to be scarey, no need to give up, just do your homework, and get a GOOD pair of EDUCATED eyes to go over it with you....

Hands on is the only way.....

PIX are helpful, but can lie like hell......another story of how I know....

for that matter my vette looks decent in pix.....:devil: :devil: :devil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts