Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the first event of the Great Lakes Corvette Challenge at Byron dragstrip in Byron IL today. This was my first time at the dragstrip and I had a great time even though the day was cut short due to rain. I went into the day hoping to be able to run 12.7 or better with my '94 ZR-1. My first trip to the line was a nervous one. I had trouble staging and got off the line pretty slowly (RT 1.1 sec). Then I ran into the rev limiter pretty hard in 2nd and 3rd. Still I caught the C5 I was racing right at the line for an ET of 13.1 sec @ 107. At this point I was a bit disappointed and just hoping to run in the 12s.

The 2nd run was an improvement. I was better prepared at the line, but my reaction was still slow at 1.0 sec. My 60 foot time improved from 2.1 sec to 2.0 sec, but I was getting quite a bit of spinning in first and second. The C4 I was racing had an awesome looking engine, but didn't seem to have enough at the far end of the track. I paid better attention to the shifting and powered by him at about 1/8 mile for a win with an ET of 12.6 at 112 mph. Now we're talking! I was pumped!. At this point the rain was starting to move into the area so we had to choose a dial-in and proceed with the bracket racing. I did not know whether I just had a terrific run or it might be typical of what my car is capable of. Not wanting to breakout I chose a dial-in of 12.58. If I broke that time I wasn't going to care if I lost the race.

My first bracket race was against a C4 convertible with a dial-in at 13.1. I did a short burnout to clean the tires before staging and did a bit better at the line. It was weird watching the C4 take off first. This time my reaction was a a little better at 0.8 sec and my 60 foot dropped to 1.9 sec. I had a ton(!) of wheel hop when I hit second. I was trying different suspension settings as I was looking for relief from the wheel hop and spinning. The first two runs were on the middle (sport) setting and this run was on the firmer performance setting. I guess the only thing left to do is try the touring setting hoping for more weight shift. Anyhow, I watched the shift points carefully this time and hit 2nd, 3rd and 4th right at 7,000 RPM. Too much! I caught the C4! I couldn't believe the time slip. I broke out with a 12.40 at 114 mph but I won because the C4 red-lighted.

The day was over at this point because the rain moved in. So, we will have to finish the finals at the start of the Corvette Challenge on June 8 at Great Lakes raceway in Union Grove. I had a great time and guess I'll have to go to Union Grove to find out how much more I can wring out of the Z. Certainly I'm going to improve my reaction time and start refining my launch. Right now it is pretty crude with a pop of the clutch at 3000 and jam of the accelerator.

The worst part of the day was having to drive an hour in the rain. By the time my son Kory and I got home the Z was looking pretty dirty. I spent an hour cleaning it up and put it away for the weekend. It was a great day and I'm looking forward to the CC event June 8.

- Kevin

"Fishin' for a good time starts with throwin' in your line" - Bob Seger.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
kmckiou said:

The 2nd run was an improvement. I was better prepared at the line, but my reaction was still slow at 1.0 sec. My 60 foot time improved from 2.1 sec to 2.0 sec, but I was getting quite a bit of spinning in first and second. The C4 I was racing had an awesome looking engine, but didn't seem to have enough at the far end of the track. I paid better attention to the shifting and powered by him at about 1/8 mile for a win with an ET of 12.6 at 112 mph. Now we're talking! I was pumped!.
Actually Kevin, I just looked at your 12.62 slip (since I raced you on that one) You were ahead to whole time.. I was still trying to get use to my new clutch set-up.

Not to make excuses but there is no way my motor (l98 with Miniram) can breathe up in the rpm range your Z can..

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Re: Re: First day at the drag strip - What a kick!

Great times, Jeff ... Kevin. Very proud of you guys! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Kevin,

We are really glad you made it out to the track and that you had a good time. That is the foundation of the Great Lakes Corvette Challenge.

As far as racing, I think you did a great job improving with each pass you made. At first, it can be a little overwhelming trying to remember everything. The more you do it, the more it becomes second nature.

Before long, you will be running low 12's in that bad boy ZR-1... by the way, I love the Admiral Blue color, looks awesome on your ZR-1!

See ya in June an Da Grove!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: First day at the drag strip - What a kick!

-=Jeff=- said:
Actually Kevin, I just looked at your 12.62 slip (since I raced you on that one) You were ahead to whole time.. I was still trying to get use to my new clutch set-up.

Not to make excuses but there is no way my motor (l98 with Miniram) can breathe up in the rpm range your Z can..
Hi Jeff! I thought you took me pretty good off the line and I had to catch up. Anyway, it was an exciting run for me. Sitting in line I was looking at the car ahead of me (yours) and the one behind (the supercharged C5) and commented to my son that it didn't matter which one I ran against. Either way it looked like I was going to get toasted. I was completely surprised when I began to pull away. You have a great looking car and it is quick! One really nice thing about it is you can change cam and heads for a couple $K. For me to do the same is $9K.

Regards,

- Kevin

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Re: Re: Re: First day at the drag strip - What a kick!

kmckiou said:
Hi Jeff! I thought you took me pretty good off the line and I had to catch up. Anyway, it was an exciting run for me. Sitting in line I was looking at the car ahead of me (yours) and the one behind (the supercharged C5) and commented to my son that it didn't matter which one I ran against. Either way it looked like I was going to get toasted. I was completely surprised when I began to pull away. You have a great looking car and it is quick! One really nice thing about it is you can change cam and heads for a couple $K. For me to do the same is $9K.

Regards,

- Kevin
Yeah this is why I don't have a Z yet!!

It was really good to meet and talk to you yesterday.. You will get quicker the more you run it. I still need to get the launch down right with the lighter flywheel..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Kevin,
It was great to see another ZR-1 being put through the paces!!!! That is a SWEET ride you have. 12.4!!!! Nice runs! You did VERY well for your first time at the strip.

I ended up getting a new personal best of 12.65. I think a 12.5 was possible for my stocker (with the DR's)with a clean run in those track conditions.

I suspect we will all need to wait until Oct and Nov to get these types of times again. The weather conditions were very good for low ET’s until it rained. Union Grove will also be plenty more slippery at the line.

Looking forward to the next event in June at Union Grove!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
ZR_Don said:
I suspect we will all need to wait until Oct and Nov to get these types of times again. The weather conditions were very good for low ET’s until it rained. Union Grove will also be plenty more slippery at the line.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I'm hoping to have a set of drag radials before the end of the season this year. I think once I get the rev limiter problem resolved, I just maybe able to dip into the 12's on the stock motor, with the right weather conditions.

Then I can start messing with the motor for more power. :D I need to keep up with you ZR-1 guys. :laughing:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZR_Don said:
Kevin,
I

Looking forward to the next event in June at Union Grove!
Yep. The air temperature was good, but I suspect the barometer was dropping and the high humidity made the air less dense (water vapor is less dense than oxygen) Probably the temperature trumps all the other conditions, though. Anyhow, I was preparing myself mentally to maybe not see a 12.4 again for a while. Heck! I was trying to keep my engine warm (!), not let it cool off too much. My secondaries won't open if it drops below 140F (at least that is what I've read).

You all are a great bunch of guys. I'll see you at UG.

- Kevin

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
See ya there! Since the next event is in June, I think I'll hit the Grove sometime around Memorial day weekend for fun.:thumbsup:
I was going to ask you if you wanted to cruise up to Da Grove one Wednesday night and get a few runs in, after work. :D

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Excellent! I'm thinking in two weeks or so.

By the way, if you guys are interested, Edgar (from NJ) is in town next week and I'm hoping to hook up with him next wednesday, after work. Anyone up for it???

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tim,
I just got back from Vacation. I am in until Early Wed AM until I leave for Bowling Green, KY. Let me know if you guys meet on Tues!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts