Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really but I have my C3 that I'm building to compete on a C6 Z06 level back together and drivable for a while.

Thought I would give my view of the first hard drive in it. To bring every one up to date, here is what I have so far.

Engine: sb 383 stroker. Eagle balanced rotating assembly. KB D dished 18cc pistons. AFR 195cc street heads(8.5:1 compression). 1 7/8" long tube headers, 3" collectors, 2 1/2" pipes, glass packs. Holly 144 blower(5 lb boost), with Edelbrock 1407 750 CFM carb.

With a MSD 6AL ignition and MSD boost control unit.

Getrag NV3500 5 speed, Stock 3.08 rear

Recently I removed every thing the was below the frame and started over.

First a I installed a VBP Rack Attack steering.

VBP Dual mount transverse front monospring, Light weight lower and offset upper control arms. C5 front brakes and C5 17" rims.

1.125" front sway bar.

In the rear we have off set trailing arms, Dual mount shortened mono spring. Adjustable smart struts. SS sleeved and O ring sealed rear calipers. Crossmember reenforcement kit. 18" C5 rims

Hawk HPS brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake hoses, and QA1 single adjustable shocks all the way around and a hydroboost brake unit.

The dash and interior have been striped and replaced with lighter weight material. I have replaced the 454 hood, wiper door and all its components. removed the two 20 lb eggcreate side vents, and am planing to go to light weight fixed headlamps. All though I will add some weight with a 4 point roll cage for now.

I have driven the car before with out the AFR heads and low gear was almost useless. Well with the new heads it is useless. WOT is imposable in 2nd until about 4k, then its just a handful to 7k. Fourth gear is a blast and in 5th the RPM's drop to about 1500 at 70. Great cruising RPM.

I would compare the stopping power as comparable to the C6Z with ABS turned off. I have not got the suspension dialed in yet. Right now it has a lot of oversteer, but controllable, as I am running an old set of Kumo Ecstas that need to be retired, and I have not completed the 3/4" rear sway bar installation yet.

Project I still have to complete are Rebuilding the exhaust to fit around the lower rear struts, install the roll bar, mounting the Sparco seats, and completing the fixed headlight system. Plus I have to add a cowl induction scoop, as the air cleaner is setting on top of the hood now.:D

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a couple of pics from the side. Was raining today so had to take them in the shop...

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
It's really coming along Ivan!!!:thumbsup:

I know it takes forever and is as exspensive as hell but it will all be worth it. Now can you please tell me that as we get ready to start our own project.:thud::laughing:

Seriously though, it's looking good.:D

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's really coming along Ivan!!!:thumbsup:

I know it takes forever and is as exspensive as hell but it will all be worth it. Now can you please tell me that as we get ready to start our own project.:thud::laughing:

Seriously though, it's looking good.:D
Thanks and I know it takes forever and is as exspensive as hell but it will all be worth it...:rolling:

You don't even want to know what I have spent on this one. And I don't even do paint.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Tires alone are going to make a huge difference with those wheels. I've got some Kumho's on mine and have only been marginally happy with them for street duty. The Kumho's and Sumito's that I have on the other set of wheels are essentially useless under braking once they heat up.

P.S. That thing looks evil, even without matching paint.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Looks awesome!

I will be taking careful notes once you get this on the track. I am very curious how you like the transverse leaf vs some of the more exotic c3 suspension setups on the market.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
that looks awesome, Ivan! :partyon:

I think some sealer and pull rivets would be the way to go for installing the cowl. No sense messing with fiberglass. And that way if you want to remove it later on it would be a breeze :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Me and you definetly have the same goals for our vehicles.

infact we have the exact same suspension setup, minus the Qa1s.

I can already hang with stock c5s and some c6s fairly easy with my car but my goal is to be able to take on a Zo6 in a straight line.

which hopefully wont be out of the question here pretty soon;)

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to put any one down, But I did the 1/4 mile for years, and it has come down to the one with the most money wins. Yes you can run bracket but then it becomes boring to me.

I think it a great challenge to see these guys and gals take a Miata or Focus and run faster times than a Vette on a twisty track. There is more to it than just horse power.

Keeping all four wheels planted or letting the front or rear get lose or stick when you need it, takes a lot of study and practice, Chassis set up has become my new challenge to make 30 year old technology work just as good as todays tecknolegy...

But the main thing about any form of race is to enjoy and share it...

Plus I love seeing others building the same as I am. And hearing others thoughts on what I did correct or what I did wrong. There is another thread talking about car buddy's and who will help out. I think the car club has migrated out of the local garage and neighborhood, and into the internet, the nation, and the world.

Its great to be from Missouri, and get comments on what you did wrong from Raidmagic in florida, or what looks great from Fluffy in New York or Europe.

Guess I'm getting a little carried away here, but life is great.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You have a very nice setup there, I bet that is a blast to drive.
Your last post above this one, I couldn't agree more, drag racing
is fun, but its nothing like road racing.

Riggs.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Not to put any one down, But I did the 1/4 mile for years, and it has come down to the one with the most money wins. Yes you can run bracket but then it becomes boring to me.

I think it a great challenge to see these guys and gals take a Miata or Focus and run faster times than a Vette on a twisty track. There is more to it than just horse power.

Keeping all four wheels planted or letting the front or rear get lose or stick when you need it, takes a lot of study and practice, Chassis set up has become my new challenge to make 30 year old technology work just as good as todays tecknolegy...

But the main thing about any form of race is to enjoy and share it...

Plus I love seeing others building the same as I am. And hearing others thoughts on what I did correct or what I did wrong. There is another thread talking about car buddy's and who will help out. I think the car club has migrated out of the local garage and neighborhood, and into the internet, the nation, and the world.

Its great to be from Missouri, and get comments on what you did wrong from Raidmagic in florida, or what looks great from Fluffy in New York or Europe.

Guess I'm getting a little carried away here, but life is great.:thumbsup:
:agree:

My new project is going to need a lot of work. I am currently debating between the setup you have and a tube chassis w/ c4+ suspension and brakes. Obviously one is the expensive route, but Im curious to see how this stacks up. Once I get started I will be sure to post all of my findings as well.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Ivan can we see the engine? I would like to see the blower setup? It looks fantastic!! Great job! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts