Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my vette 2 months ago. 2007 C6 stock MN6 . I am new to the modification arena but from reading the threads I think I know what my first modifications will be. Any advise on the vendors I have listed and opinions is apprecited? I am looking for more horepower, and a meaner sound than stock, torque etc.

What kind of horepower gains do you get with just changing to the aircharger kit and exhaust?

Which exhaust is better?

Would like to get it to 450 to 500hp in the future?

1) skip shift eliminator
2) K&N aircharger kit
3) exhaust (Borla, Corsa, B&B, ) ?
4) to be determined in the future.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Borla Stingers seem to be the most popular exhaust. pair them up with a set of LG Long tube headers (manufactured for LG by borla). that will give you a pretty mean sound. as far as hp do you mean 450-500 rwhp or what. i thin it is possible with basic bolt ons like new cam, long tubes with high flow cats, cat back exhaust, new air intake. that should put you close to 400 rwhp i think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, the 2007 c6 comes with a rated horepower of 400. What I meant was getting this to 450. I see I am going to have to do more reading in regards to rwhp etc. Any good theads or links for reading on this.

The Borla Stingers are they available for the 2007 C6? All I am finding is the Sport. Stingers only come up for the C5.

Also the K&N aircharger kit any comments on this? are there any other brands which would offer better performance?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes the stingers are available for all current model c6s (not sure about the 2008s (they have a new engine the ls3)).

As far as the intake goes, I think they are all pretty similar and will provide similar gains, and the differences won't be very much in performance gains. The K&N Aircharge is basicly the same as the Blackwing and Haltec. All which are popular. A more popular one is the Varam intake but I believe it requires some cutting to be installed. With any aftermarket intake you are goign to gain hp. I would recommend reading through various threads. There have been many threads about intakes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
here are a few links i put together for you. just browse through the forum and you will find a lot mroe threads about similar topics.

headers
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74989

mod for money
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79351

exhaust poll
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78688

intake
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79019

cams
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78038

oo yea i sent you a pm about the exhaust. i cant post it here b/c they are not a supporting vendor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, the 2007 c6 comes with a rated horepower of 400. What I meant was getting this to 450. I see I am going to have to do more reading in regards to rwhp etc. Any good theads or links for reading on this.

The Borla Stingers are they available for the 2007 C6? All I am finding is the Sport. Stingers only come up for the C5.

Also the K&N aircharger kit any comments on this? are there any other brands which would offer better performance?
Yep. I had to learn the difference between RWHP and Flywheel HP too just like you a few weeks ago. Most folks here talk about RWHP. I believe the formula is RWHP = 0.85 x Flywheel HP. So your RWHP for your stock 400 Flywheel HP 2007 LS2 C6 Vette should be around 340 RWHP. You will not know your RWHP for sure until you put your car on a dyno.

I am getting ready to do the following mods. to my car:

1. Callaway Honker Cold Air Induction (CAI)
2. Powerbond Underdrive Pulley with accessory belt
3. Kook's 1 7/8" headers, 3" x 2 1/2" X-Crossover, High Flow Catalytic
Converters or Cats, non-coated to stock exhaust mufflers
4. Custom mild cam by Carolina Auto Masters
5. Tune (which will eliminate the skip shift)

I ordered all the parts myself and had them delivered to Carolina Auto Masters and saved some money. We are expecting to get 425 RWHP from this mod (or 489 HP at the Flywheel). That's getting close to Z06 territory and we are not even messing with the Heads or Intake yet. The total cost of the project (parts and labor) is $4856.00.

I worked with some other Tuners to get estimates but they were further away from were I live. They were really good to work with and answered my questions. I would also recommend contacting:
The HP Factory - Ed Hutchings
LG Motorsports - Anthony
Cartek

The headers are the long lead time item for me. Kook's is getting ready to do another production run in the next two weeks, so that delayed me getting my headers. I should have a pretty goon place in line though.

As you can see, I want to see what the car sounds like with the headers added before I go any louder. I can always add the exhaust later. I definitely do not want the drone sound as I am going down the road. This also kept the cost down of my first mod. I decided that I would not see a very noticable gain in power with just adding the CAI, headers, and a tune (around $3K). So I decided to add the cam and underdrive pulley for a little more of a boost. I believe I will be able to feel an increase from 340 RWHP to 425 RWHP.:partyon:

I will post my actual HP gains after my parts come in and are installed. I am guessing everything will be in mid August.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drone

Does have some good links so I can hear what DRoNE sounds like compared to a good sounding exaust system.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think drone is a very thrown-around term. Many people seem to confuse drone with a simple increase in volume of the exhaust note, which is the case in the Borla Stingers. Drone is when a particularly annoying frequency is heard(AKA fart-can tuner exhausts). But Stingers have no such issue, merely a good, meaty note. However BB Bullets may start to get on the droney side...:laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts