Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never raced at the track & am racing for the first time Friday at Lebanon!:excited: Anyone have any advice?:huh:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,548 Posts
Don't miss any shifts, don't over rev the engine, don't hit the wall, paint side goes up, keep the seat belt TIGHT and make sure you have gas in the tank. Also winning is always good advice

·
Registered
271 Posts
When you first get there watch a few cars run and get familiar with how the christmas tree works with the staging lights. Second, with your first run dont be so concerned with your time, rather worry about staging properly and familarize yourself when you would launch and take it from there. Once you have that down then play around with your launching rpms and dont get too rev happy either as you dont wanna smoke your clutch (If your car is stick or you have a nice stall with a transbrake) or your rearend as well if you hook real good. Also play around with shifting first gear a little bit before redline also and see if you run a better time doing that also. Oh and one other thing HAVE FUN :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I've never raced before either, legally that is. :laughing:
They have a test and tune at Bradenton Fl, every thursday night, and I keep thinking about going down and trying it out.

Whats the deal about convertibles and roll bars, do you have to have one. Does anyone here drag race with a convertible. :huh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
hope you have an automatic trans. its hard to push the clutch in when your knees are knocking. best thing you can do to improve is seat time. and remember you do have to turn the stearing wheel to go in a straight line.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Watch other racers first.
Know where the staging beams are.
Know how to stage.
Don't rush.
Concentrate on the last yellow, go when lit.
Good advice above as to don't get rev happy, just get a good solid run in first time.
Write down EVERYTHING on your slip after each run.
Launch RPM, what kind of burnout you did, tire pressure, temp outside, etc. Keep a log and you will learn what works best for you, and where to improve.
Go around the water! If you do a burnout, back into the water.
Pay attention to the track official as to where you are in the water box. Pull out of the water and then do your burn. If you stay in the water you will be splashing it all over your wheel wells and it will drip down on your tires at the line causing major spin. Stay straight. If you get sideways..take your foot off the gas. Don't try to correct with your foot on the gas. Come back and try it again. I've seen to many guys over steer and nick the wall. Hey, it's fun. Your not getting paid big bucks to do this so save your fiberglass. The only way you get good at this is practice! You will not be good at any sport (like golf, which I hate) if you only do it twice a year!
Good luck, have fun, don't rush, concentrate and do it again!
Matt383

1 - 15 of 15 Posts