Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a C3 with a "R" type headlight conversion. They had two bubbles per unit with some sort of HID bulb. I did not have a camera to take a photo but I actually liked it.

What are you opinions on this mod? If you have pics, post em.

Does anyone know who makes these kits?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I saw a C3 with a "R" type headlight conversion. They had two bubbles per unit with some sort of HID bulb. I did not have a camera to take a photo but I actually liked it.

What are you opinions on this mod? If you have pics, post em.

Does anyone know who makes these kits?

I have NO clue what an R conversion is....nor do I care, I suspect it has to do with rice....

but you may be look at the front of my vette for ideas as to what is possible in front stock height setups...I happened to use late Camaro bulbs, all glass...but I suspect my concept could be easily adapted to any other sort of bulbs/lights/reflectors/lenz from other cars....maybe with out the funky looking plastic???

:cheers:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think that he might be after ones like this.There was a few guy's making their own and had templates for it.(Those are cool and 100% vette racing history)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have NO clue what an R conversion is....nor do I care, I suspect it has to do with rice....

but you may be look at the front of my vette for ideas as to what is possible in front stock height setups...I happened to use late Camaro bulbs, all glass...but I suspect my concept could be easily adapted to any other sort of bulbs/lights/reflectors/lenz from other cars....maybe with out the funky looking plastic???

:cheers:
"R" conversion as in Race. Like the C5R and the C6R. You know, like the ones they race at Sebring and Lemans........not everything is rice:D

Besides, I like to save the rice mods for my wife's integra.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
"R" conversion as in Race. Like the C5R and the C6R. You know, like the ones they race at Sebring and Lemans........not everything is rice:D

Besides, I like to save the rice mods for my wife's integra.
OH, ok, cool, so can those C6 lights be used naked?? are the connectors upto the weather?? or will there be problems?? lotsa headlight/taillight connectors on modern cars are not worth a damn all sorts of corrosion from piss poor design.....bad enough to melt plastic, and burn up..., instead of the good old brass spade plugs they gotta get stupid allready and find somethng what don't work well, even covered with plastic lens...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Look at my webshots pics link in my signature,i use L-88 headlight setup.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your talking about the FIA or Le Mans Headlights.

I have a spare set for sale...the ones shown below.

Nick

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are EXACTLY what I was talking about.......I really like that look. Especially with the body color paint on top.....

Your talking about the FIA or Le Mans Headlights.

I have a spare set for sale...the ones shown below.

Nick

·
Registered
745 Posts
Guldstrand motorsports also but fgregg is cheaper.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Frank (F Gregg) makes them and sells them..Guldstrand retails them.

Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do you mount bulbs in the L88 brackets?

I am putting the fixed L88 headlights on my 74. I bought the housings from a guy on ebay. I still haven't found what to use to affix the bulb cups to the housings. I know that Gregg and Guldstrand sell the kits, and probably the individual hardware sets, but is there a simple setup that is needed without having to go through them? Are they the only suppliers for the plexiglass covers. I don't want to pay the $250 to $300 that they charge if I don't have to.

·
Registered
166 Posts
These?

OOPS, I Should have read whole post.
I honestly prefer the L-88 type myself, but these were affordable at the time.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These?

OOPS, I Should have read whole post.
I honestly prefer the L-88 type myself, but these were affordable at the time.
Those aren't bad either. I like the way the covers follow the slope of the hood. The only thing I would change is the square bulbs....for round ones.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Those aren't bad either. I like the way the covers follow the slope of the hood. The only thing I would change is the square bulbs....for round ones.:thumbsup:
Not only will they not fit, without the special coverings,...but IMO, they look SO dated, where the car itself is timeless....

the rounded lights stuck up above the lines look like a kludge off a T Ford or something.....

allthought it was the only thing available at the time, I think GM would have done something much differant for stock production had the bulbs been available.....

see my pix here for what I think is a sleeker design

1 - 20 of 34 Posts