Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to upgrade to 18" or 19" on the GS before summer. I wanted to powdercoat the new wheel gloss black...

... but now I'm thinking of being a trend-setter and doing the wheels flat-black powdercoat.

What do you think?

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
HTRK-1 said:
What rims are you getting? Any pics? It's hard to beat the look of the GS wheels IMHO.
The look is O.K.,but 17s just don't fill the wheel well enough,plus with 18s you can go with a slightly shorter profile tire to get that mean look.Thats just my opinion though.
... but now I'm thinking of being a trend-setter and doing the wheels flat-black powdercoat. What do you think?
I'm getting some ZO6 rims next month (not my favorite,but i need the wider rim in rear),i'm going to paint them black with polished lip,with spray paint and clear coat.This has exellent results if preped properly.And if i want to change the color it won't cost me an arm and leg.The black wagon wheels (chrome now)on Hawaiian Punchs car are rustoleum black with clear coat,they looked great and held up great,and even sold them.Maybe flat black with a couple clear coats,post picts what ever you do...:buhbye:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HTRK-1 said:
What rims are you getting? Any pics? It's hard to beat the look of the GS wheels IMHO.
It'll be a thick 5-spoke wheel... Fikse... or widened 97 Vette wagon wheels. I haven't quite started my search... :laughing:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
I am going to upgrade to 18" or 19" on the GS before summer. I wanted to powdercoat the new wheel gloss black...

... but now I'm thinking of being a trend-setter and doing the wheels flat-black powdercoat.

What do you think?
gloss. the black will be a lot richer/deeper looking.:cool:

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
It'll be a thick 5-spoke wheel... Fikse... or widened 97 Vette wagon wheels. I haven't quite started my search... :laughing:
I'd go with the widened wagon wheel. The wagon wheels look awesome on C4's IMO.

My dad was going to powdercoat his wagons black (currently silver) but when we went to Carlisle, we saw a guy that painted him wagons with regular ol' spray paint and it looked great. He says that is what he is going to do soon. I'd go gloss black, but I'd like to see flat black.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Flat black, but only if you plan to do the ENTIRE wheel. If you are leaving the polished aluminum edge, then go gloss black.

What would look super-cool would be to get a set of 2000 and up C5 thin spokes and powder coat those babies flat black, especially if you had drilled rotors. That would be the ultimate mean-ass look for a GS, and it would go very well with your car's edgier exhaust note...

Make sure to post pictures when you do it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Patrick, I have black GS wheels on my dark red '92 Lingenfelter, and did the same treatment to my Honda CRV (as shown) using clear coated gloss black with the stock silver lip. I think the flat black would be way to hard to keep looking nice all the time. Flat black seems to stain and is hard to keep an even, unblemished finish on. I'd don't know what a guy would use to protect the flat black, not like you could wax them or anything that I could think of, but powder coat flat black might be a different situation, never worked with it before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts